Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Something I'm sure I would be wondering myself if I knew you better.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I haven't gotten too far in yet... but Far Cry 3 seems really good.

And in other news. I'm usually leery about following PC games before release (Except for Octodad 2:Dadliest Catch) but...

...this one made me reconsider
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
K
King

Post by K »

It looks like they are using Monte Cook's new setting instead of Planescape.

So it looks like Monte has an auto-success. Can't get much better advertisement for your setting than a full video game.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Yeah, up till now I couldn't care less about... Numera, I think its called.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

PhoneLobster wrote: ...this one made me reconsider
That looks pretty amazing. The almost-cartoonish graphics, the ability for a RTS to go "Okay, now we're expanding the playing field, moon base!", the planet-busting stuff... the whole thing looks good.

I hope it sees completion and release (and lives up to what that short video promised).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Not sure if the cartoony art style will be in the actual game. This was just a proof of concept to fund the real thing.

Also, it's kind of cool to see Total Annihilation moving on from its roots in wars fought over transhumanism to a nightmare scenario wherein everyone lost, and now mindless automatons carry the war on endlessly.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Each time in Skyrim that I find out more about the eruption of Red Mountain it finds new ways to make me nerdrage.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Istred
1st Level

Post by Istred »

What made you nerdrage more?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I haven't played PST in ages. How has that aged?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Istred wrote:What made you nerdrage more?
What caused it to erupt.
Apparently Vivec dying resulted in people not believing hard enough in him which caused the Ministry of Truth to crash into Vivec City and trigger an earthquake that triggered an eruption.

Which doesn't even make sense given that Vivec couldn't actually keep the Ministry aloft in that manner since all of his power went into maintaining the Ghostfence, and the only thing mentioning how the Ministry of Truth fucking works is propaganda written by Vivec, which therefore should be taken with a grain of salt.

Now maybe I'm just butthurt since if one of my favorite settings, one that I spent many hours influencing and improving (since that was the entire fucking point of Morrowind) is half-destroyed, there better be a decent given reason for it, and interesting things should come out of it that should lead to interesting games.

But apparently it's all from a novel someone wrote in which it's clear that it's nothing that would lead to future games, just future books.
Then again, expecting major canon changes from a novel based off of a video game to be decent is kind of stupid on my part.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Cynic wrote:I haven't played PST in ages. How has that aged?
I played it for the first time a year or two ago. With the proper highres mods, it's still a superlative experience. The backgrounds are still quite lovely, and the story/dialog remain gripping.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new game. Mostly because, despite their apparent pedigree, I don't think that InExile has ever really made an especially lovely game. I wonder if Obsidian's Project Eternity might provide a better "Torment" experience than the actual Torment sequel.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

I would like to beat Dragon age: Awakenings, but my system keeps locking up during death animations in the dragon graveyard. Is there anything that stops that? It locked up twice after killing the armored ogre, then once after killing the high dragon, at which point I turned off the game.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Planetary Annihilation looks fun
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Valve dumped, like, six DotA 2 invites into my lap, so if anyone wants one let me know; you can email me your steam at Caliborn@gmail.com
Last edited by Calibron on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Ted-- There are mods that disable all the special death animations. You could also try killing them with spells and arrows?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Which arcade games have random ultraviolence in them?

I'm not talking about games like Splatterhouse or Night Slashers in which you'd have to be crazy not to expect random scenes of extreme gore and violence -- I mean games more like Funky Fighting Master or the Streets of Rage remake (which isn't technically an arcade game, but whatever) in which you're playing a game that looks fairly normal, then BAM! Explosion of gore outta nowhere.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Well, it depends on how much gore we're talkin' here. If you're asking for games with brains splodin' outta people's ears, then I can't really help there, but if you mean things like sudden mayhem (such as decapitation), then I could hazard a few suggestions. Also, are we talking about arcade games as in the genre, or the machines that you'd find in a, well, arcade?

If the latter is such in both cases, then...

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. True, it's not the most gory game in the world, and there isn't a lot of it, but it's still there and from outward appearances it doesn't look like the kind of game that would even have it.

Let's Go Jungle! is a horrible, horrible shit of a game, but it's somewhat unexpectedly violent. I would not recommend this game to any sentient creature made of carbon.

But if your talking about the genre, then Castle Crashers has some unexpected gore in it, as does Alien Hominid. Again, they don't have tons of it on the level of, say, Splatterhouse or Mortal Kombat, but it's still there.

Oh, and then there'z Death Race.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Orion wrote:Ted-- There are mods that disable all the special death animations. You could also try killing them with spells and arrows?
Regretfully, there's no such mod for the Xbox version. I could try using spells and arrows, it'd take forever because my characters aren't specced for range except for Anders, but I could plink away with the bows I have as backups.

Also, I didn't expect to run into both Anders and Justice as two separate people in Awakenings. What I'm not surprised about is the fact that Justice is a big giant douche. He got real pissed because I let the architect's messenger go (well EXCUUUUUUSE me for not being a barbarian, you don't kill messengers in war.) Not that I particularly want to side with him, but he does seem interesting as a villain, I'd like to see where this goes.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Update: managed to get past that section. It seems anywhere else in the game it doesn't lock up like that.

Doing a mage playthrough. It's funny to screw a lot of people and watch them all get catty with each other. Also, found out if you do the lyrium smuggling quest, finish it up before you get Andraste's ashes because it makes you fail the quest. I put up 40 fucking gold to do that quest, asshole.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://cyberpunk.net/
That Trailer is beautifull.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/2013-0 ... ase-0-7-0/
sadly, the mod won't be getting any more developement for legalese reasons, but 0.7.0 is now here . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
K
King

Post by K »

Stahlseele wrote:http://cyberpunk.net/
That Trailer is beautifull.
Agreed. Makes me hopeful about the final product.

On an unrelated note, if anyone bought Endless Space, you should vote on the Game2gether site for the community-created random event to be included in the next add-on for the game.

My submission won the forum poll, but is now one of the three options being "officially" voted on and is slightly trailing the leader. My event is called called "AI Singularity."
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

K wrote:On an unrelated note, if anyone bought Endless Space, you should vote on the Game2gether site for the community-created random event to be included in the next add-on for the game.

My submission won the forum poll, but is now one of the three options being "officially" voted on and is slightly trailing the leader. My event is called called "AI Singularity."
That's cool. I do own the game so I'll go and check that out later tonight. When does the polling close? Also, a link wouldn't hurt since I've never bother with that game's online community before.

Beyond that, I'm curious what you do/don't like about the game, because I'm deeply conflicted on it. It has enough neat innovation striped through it that it's interesting and I really want to get into a good space 4X game. However, I ultimately find the game to get kinda stale; turning into a big colonization race, followed by a brief spike in warfare, and then it is clear who will eventually win the game, although it might take a couple more hours of gameplay to actually get there. Of course, maybe I haven't realized the "right" approach to playing the game that'll make it engaging from start to finish, and that the fault lies more on my end than on Endless Space's.
Last edited by Shatner on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.