RPGs for kids

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

mean_liar
Duke

RPGs for kids

Post by mean_liar »

My oldest is now five, and that means that he's started to ask about playing games with me. I can tell he's intimidated by playing tabletop stuff based on the fact that he's only ever seen adults play, but, well... a game based on the idea that he loves Diego and wants to rescue animals with superhero powers isn't terribly difficult to bullshit through.

Looking through the low-hanging fruit, I wasn't really impressed by what I saw. Most of the kid RPGs are all battle simulators of one kind or another. RPGkids and Herokids seem to have done the best job, but even then they mostly center around killing endless hordes of whomevers.

My own stab at things is as mechanically sparse as any game for young kids has to be and will probably suffice, but I was curious if anyone else had some insight into the genre.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Jigo has been working on a supplement for RPGkids. He may have some interesting insight. What exactly are you looking for, though? With kids you sort of need to allow for most RP to be MTP.... you never know what they're going to come ou with.
Soda
Apprentice

Post by Soda »

I like FURPG.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

You could try EABAnywhere.

http://www.btrc.net/eabanywhere
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I think Toon is good for kids of all ages.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

You could craft the RPG through freeform roleplaying with your child.

It would be a fun experiment

ex:

Confronted with a maze. Ask your kid how he would get through it (like what attribute would he use, his cunning, his endurance, etc.) and then it becomes the rule.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Kantian Procedural RPG?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I think in these parts we call that MTP, and I'm totally cool with that.

Right now I came up with a resolution system that's basically Risk.

Three attributes (health, fun, artistry) corresponding to (physical, social, mental) axis of action. Roll dice equal to attribute (2 or 3) against either the difficulty (with a reference chart to determine relative difficulties/probabilities of success) or an opposed roll.

I'm still working out tiebreaks, since I don't want to confuse them but I wanted a little more fidelity.

Mostly they just seem to want to collect artifacts of their triumphs: animals friends more than anything. We're having fun, but the REAL issue seems to be that they're intimidated a bit by playing a game they've only ever seen adults do, and my son doesn't want to "do it wrong"... and so we play chess a lot too, since he never sees me play that with anyone that isn't digital.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Search the Den for "rpgKids". There are a couple of threads about it- as a system for very young chilluns, I highly recommend it, and it's only a couple of bucks. I'm writing an advanced supplement for it. There's an official advanced supplement coming out, and I'm sure it will be great, but mine will be worked over by the Den first, so...

Also, I would say if he is curious about what you're doing but worried about "doing it wrong," involve him in your design process. I've got my 4-year-old writing scenarios. I think she likes that better than actually playing.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice your interest in more "puzzle-oriented" processes. Yeah, original rpgKids is pretty much just beating up mooks with a very few skill tests and one or two super simple puzzles. I believe Enrique's advanced rules for rpgKids are going to include more emphasis on puzzles. In my work on CotEotM, I've been trying to factor both room for creativity and more logic/problem-solving stuff in there, as well as non-violent solutions to encounters. As I'm writing more "dungeony" type encounters for different parts of it, the need for thinking puzzles is apparent. Also, per some suggestions in the thread in IMOI, I'll be working in way more space for hand-outs, reward cards, etc.
Last edited by JigokuBosatsu on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Soda
Apprentice

Post by Soda »

I really can't recommend FURPG enough. For example:

Character creation:
In your system a character is, Health 3 Fun 3 Artistry 2
In FURPG a character is, "Good at Sports" and "Friend to Animals"

Resolution:
Your system, "What is the DC to climb this tree? 3? 4? Check the chart.
FURPG, "Do I climb the tree? With my bonus die from 'good at sports', I rolled a 4. I climb the tree."

Advancement:
Your system, "My Artistry goes up to 3. Whoopie."
FURPG, "With your master's training, you now have 'Apprentice Blacksmith'."

I know which of those would grab my attention.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I see where you're coming from, but the kids don't really see the mechanics. They're just tossing dice and MTPing the shit out of stuff.

There's more to the game than what I tossed up: basically those trophies/artifacts you collect increase your tiebreak ability. Being a "Friend of Faeries" actually mechanically counts. Advancement in a raw, non-thematic mechanical sense doesn't really occur... I figure by the time they care about that we'll be on to deeper systems.

EDIT - I grabbed a copy of FURPG and I'll pore through it.
Last edited by mean_liar on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Soda wrote:Resolution:
Your system, "What is the DC to climb this tree? 3? 4? Check the chart.
FURPG, "Do I climb the tree? With my bonus die from 'good at sports', I rolled a 4. I climb the tree."
So how do you know the DC in FURPG? You either have to look it up in a chart as well, or is it pure MTP? If it is pure MTP, well you could do MTP in "Your system" as well. Just ignore what the chart says.

Having a chart of DC's is really helpful, because it allows you to think of similar stuff and set a DC on the fly.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Soda
Apprentice

Post by Soda »

ishy wrote:So how do you know the DC in FURPG? You either have to look it up in a chart as well, or is it pure MTP? If it is pure MTP, well you could do MTP in "Your system" as well. Just ignore what the chart says.

Having a chart of DC's is really helpful, because it allows you to think of similar stuff and set a DC on the fly.
It's neither chart nor mtp. It's a single mechanic that I find to be a great medium.

It works like this:

"Does Regdar climb the tree?"
Roll a d6
6: "Yes, and.. [something else good]"
5: "Yes."
4: "Yes, but.. [some downside]"
3: "No, but.. [some upside]"
2: "No."
1: "No, and.. [something else bad]"

If you have traits that would help, roll a bonus die for each and take the highest.
"Does Regdar uses his 'Heroic Strength' to climb this tree?"
[rolls 2 d6, takes highest]

If you have a negative trait or a circumstantial penalty, subtract a die for each. If you'd go below 1 die, instead roll an extra die and take the worst.
"Does Jozen climb the tree despite his heavy armor?"
[rolls 2 d6, takes lowest]

Optionally, you can obtain "FU points" by acting in character or following your character's motivation, etc, that allow you to add bonus dice to your rolls.

EDIT- I also think the character creation is great. You get traits such as 'Unicorn Farmer' or 'Imperial Soldier' and it's left up to you to decide when it applies. You don't need a Ride or Handle Animal skill. It's obvious that your Unicorn Farmer gets a bonus to riding unicorns.
Last edited by Soda on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

"FU, dad, I've got this geomorph to snip, so why don't you go take a nap?"
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Bump for new content in my other thread.