Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both, Continued

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

technomancer
Journeyman

Re: Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both, Continued

Post by technomancer »

I think it really depends on the reason why you broke up. If you broke up because you didn't have enough in common to be dating, I could understand still liking them, because you have enough in common to be friends. Or, in this example, you broke up because long-distance romantic relationships suck, then I could see being a friend.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1193397404[/unixtime]]Now I just use VLC, a free program (legally free, even) that seems to run pretty much everything, and quickly, with minimal fuss, too. It's even run things that other programs claimed were corrupted and unable to be played.

Are you my clone or something?
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1193412444[/unixtime]]I don't understand the concept of still liking an ex.

Give it time. I see one of my exes regularly, but there was about 7 years between when we dated and when we became friends again.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

And once again, this thread is making me cry.
:(
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

VLC sits right between quicktime and microsoft media, and gosh it works pretty well.

...But what a media player has to do with my comment on" iWhore plugins for Windows", I'll not know. It was a pitiful reference to the dot-net plugins required by microsoft's last web framework and their usual security precautions.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I assumed that the i at the front made it an Apple program/plug-in (ala iPod, iPhone, iProduct, iSuck etc.), which automatically suck.

If it's just a generic Microsoft annoying plug-in, I'll still pass on installing it if possible, but it doesn't annoy me quite so much.

But I did get a little sidetracked in mentioning how annoying Quicktime is.

Ceilngcat: I hope we're not clones. Movies and video games taught me that cloning always results in one of the two being diabolically evil, or that they end up fighting each other to the death for no real reason.

The reason for the breakup was largely the fact that we couldn't deal with the distance, yeah. At no point in time did we get pissy and stop talking to each other or anything. It's more an excuse for us both to go find other people to have sex with, people who are actually within a hundred miles. Which hasn't worked so far.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I'm glad that you are open and honest with your hate-on for Apple products, but since none of them are forced upon you, I have no idea why you care.

You know, that's the difference between a monopoly and... not.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Mac users are why I hate Apple products so much. Note that a person can solely own and use Macs without being Mac users, but they're rare.

Mac users are the ones that force their opinions on you, which is like having the software forced on you (and plenty of websites do try to make you download Quicktime - or stuff by Realmedia, which is equally annoying but becoming less common. At least they let you say "No, don't install" though, unlike most Microsoft updates).

I don't even have a real problem with actual Macs - I wouldn't be comfortable using one, due to what I'm used to being different - it's mostly the software they release for PCs, and the attitudes of Apple fanboys.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1193455169[/unixtime]]Ceilngcat: I hope we're not clones. Movies and video games taught me that cloning always results in one of the two being diabolically evil, or that they end up fighting each other to the death for no real reason.

Shoot her! I'm the good one!
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

So lemme get this straight - I'm here all night, bored - so...

...You don't like Macs because of Mac fanboys inappropriately interjecting that Macs are good; so you interject inappropriately about Apple products sucking?

Isn't that the Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right fallacy?

Or in this case, one wrong doesn't make a right?

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Bah, if you don't think two wrongs make a right, you're simply not trying hard enough.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

That's three lefts, actually.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1193455828[/unixtime]]At least they let you say "No, don't install" though, unlike most Microsoft updates).

I know Microsoft has been building up this concept of denying certain services to you if you don't use "Genuine Advantage" to prove to them that your copy of Windows is legal, but I don't recall hearing about any updates that you're actually forced to install...care to enlighten me?
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Yeah, so far I've never had a file from microsoft forcibly download itself onto my computer
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Every day at 2AM my PC starts slowing down a little as RAM usage occurs. I ended up having to look through the processes section of the Task Manager, and looking up every single process to check if I had any spyware or viruses that my usual security programs had missed.

Turns out it was the Windows update software. There probably is an option to turn it off somewhere, but I wouldn't know where - it's not like it opens a new program in the Taskbar or anything. It's just there, in the background, and I'm assuming that all it's doing is updating security to fix flaws they've found.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So the upshot of this thread is that now we know that an army of Swedish lesbian Clones are watching me masturbate. I can't think of a downside.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Actually, I'm the Australian one :razz:
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1193484371[/unixtime]]So the upshot of this thread is that now we know that an army of Swedish lesbian Clones are watching me masturbate. I can't think of a downside.

-Username17

Another Mac advantage. The not-so-hidden camera.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Frank, iTrading cards have nothing to do with Apple. Wizards has never made a product for or with Apple.

I don't care if iTunes crashed for you. It doesn't have anything to do with the conversation.

-Crissa
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I hate Apple as well, but for a completely separate reason. They go out of their way to make many things incompatible with standard practice. Take iTunes for instance, they use their own encoding scheme instead of the standard mp3. Yes, they wanted DRM, but Microsoft managed to DRM mp3 files easily enough. I think that if you are trying to design something, it should be as follows:
1 - try to come up with a better way of doing it that is feasible (large amounts of money, usually)
2 - failing that, use the industry standard (which costs money, usually)
3 - failing that, use the open-source standard (free!)
4 - invent your own format without trying to make it any better than existing practices just so that you can tell everyone to fvck off.

Apple seems to build an empire on option number 4 whenever they can, which is destroying progress. There are an almost infinite number of problems to solve, and when you take a problem that someone else has solved and solve it worse than they did, you have wasted your time and the time of people that are going to have to clean it up. Someone had to write the re-encoder for switch between the iTunes format and the standard. This is time that they could have spent solving another problem (preferably a new one, or improving an old method).

People bitch at M$, but at least they make progress in the industry's that they are using (intlesense, XML, TCP, SQL). I just don't see Apple even trying to promote innovation or implementation (bricking the iPhone, proprietary formats, DRM, generally making it a nightmare to develop for/in).

For the record, I use Linux.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1193476386[/unixtime]]Every day at 2AM my PC starts slowing down a little as RAM usage occurs. I ended up having to look through the processes section of the Task Manager, and looking up every single process to check if I had any spyware or viruses that my usual security programs had missed.

Turns out it was the Windows update software. There probably is an option to turn it off somewhere, but I wouldn't know where - it's not like it opens a new program in the Taskbar or anything. It's just there, in the background, and I'm assuming that all it's doing is updating security to fix flaws they've found.

Go to Control Panel->Security Center. Scroll down to "Manage security settings for:", and click on "automatic updates".
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1193455828[/unixtime]]Mac users are why I hate Apple products so much. Note that a person can solely own and use Macs without being Mac users, but they're rare.

Mac users are the ones that force their opinions on you, which is like having the software forced on you (and plenty of websites do try to make you download Quicktime - or stuff by Realmedia, which is equally annoying but becoming less common. At least they let you say "No, don't install" though, unlike most Microsoft updates).

I don't even have a real problem with actual Macs - I wouldn't be comfortable using one, due to what I'm used to being different - it's mostly the software they release for PCs, and the attitudes of Apple fanboys.

I totally get this, and I totally agree.

Mac Fanboys are cocksuckers.

Game On,
fbmf
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

This thread is making me cry.

People bitch at M$, but at least they make progress in the industry's that they are using (intlesense, XML, TCP, SQL). I just don't see Apple even trying to promote innovation or implementation (bricking the iPhone, proprietary formats, DRM, generally making it a nightmare to develop for/in).

People bitch at Microsoft because none of what you just said is true.
ASP, .NET aren't industry standards that Microsoft 'built upon'. They're proprietary.
Apple uses a non-industry format? You're ignorant of what really is. Even wikipedia knows more than you about it.
Microsoft's implementation of SQL isn't standard. It's not even as good as Oracle, and that's not great, either.

Apple did what to the iPhone? Name one network company that allows open platforms on it. The iPhone wasn't going to happen without promising a closed platform to the undead corporation AT&T.

DRM? What? Microsoft is a DRM whore. Cost Analysis of Vista DRM

Damn, what a load of Microsoft fanboyisms on this thread.

What, you going to say now that Microsoft invests money into open-source production and Bill Gates donates hundreds of millions of dollars.

So what? It's also irrelevant to any of the bogus points made earlier on this thread.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

This is awesome, I actually managed to completely unintentionally piss off a Mac fangirl, firing the first volley, and somehow everyone else joined in on my side.

Today is looking up to be pretty sweet, if I could just get rid of this sore throat. Mmm, Codeine... *wanders off for painkillers*

And I really don't see why the iPhone has to be linked to AT&T. I don't see where it helps Apple, unless they signed some kind of contract with AT&T, getting money in the process. Which is stupid, considering how much money they could get from Mac fanboys buying the iPhone anyway.

Still, I'm happy about this turn of events where, just because I was feeling shitty that day, I managed to incite someone to argument without even trying.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Ugh, what's next, an America vs Europe thread? Maybe religion vs atheism?