Command Rating: What it can and can't do?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Command Rating: What it can and can't do?

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I know that it doesn't show up a lot, but in a RoW game or a game with RoW Knights or people that use the Command [Combat] feat, the question of "what does your command rating do exactly" sometimes comes up.

For me, it shows up b/c I really, really love to make all sorts of crazy builds that centre around the Fighter class with a dip into an other class for one or an other useful ability.

Examples:
-Dipping into True Fiend as a Tiefling or Product of Infernal Dalliance Taanari for an extra [Fiend] feat and new class skill unlocks; fighters with Hide(Dex) are pretty awesome
-Dipping into Monk for Con damage + Weapon attacks take on your slam attack properties Fighting style. Mix it up with TWF, Blitz and PBS and you've got up to 8 con damage per round, plus double your BaB per hit. Mix in Zen Archery and then dump Dex for Wis plus never have to rely on Spot when you can just crack out Listen checks to hit your enemies. [This character tends to do ridiculous shit like: One-Round Trents and One-Round Conflagration Oozes; I didn't even prepare, I was warned by the quest giver, recommended to pack alchemists fire and coldfire and then killed one in one set of attacks and the other in an other set of attacks, the vunrabilities are really what brought me into the insta-kill zone; when he faced a War Troll with 2 other level 7 PCs (War Trolls are CR 10+ BTW) we killed it in a round or two of straight up fighting]

Now, I want to know what the Command Rating that fighters have is good for?

Also, what does the much higher Command Rating that a person with the Command feat gets is good for?

I was thinking that it works sort of like the way a Bard's inspire courage works.

Command: You can give X amount of targets a morale bonus of X/3 to Hit, Skill checks and Saves for X/3 rounds. This takes a Full round action. Where X is equal to your Command Rating.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.