Writing a novel.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Mistborn
Duke

Writing a novel.

Post by Mistborn »

One of my long defered personal projects is too write a fantasy novel. So the outline I have is for a small work about a sucession crisis. While the king is comatose one his deathbed his son and heir gets assassinated leaving the kingdom with out a strong claimant to the throne, political machinations ensue.

What historical events should I be resarching to use as a model for such a secnario.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Anything where there is a succession dispute. Why there is a dispute is essentially immaterial.
Depending on the time period that you're interested in, the War of the Roses may work out for you. It's well known and there are lots of sources.

Having said that, I think that the later Roman Empire would be the best way to go - lots of machinations and big armies doing big things. The sources aren't crash hot though, lots of gaps and obvious biases. But check out the Year of Six Emperors for fun.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Shakespeare's historical cycles are a great reference point.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Good on yer for deciding to write the novel, btw.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

You might want to consider Roman civil wars, to see how people with no "real" claim to the throne still managed to find a claim and put together an army to give it a whirl.

Key to writing a novel is to make progress every day. Once you get a decent layout for what your story is hopefully going to be, dedicate yourself to a certain wordcount every day (I go with 1000 words...and I've yet to write a book that actually matched my layout, but it's still good to have).
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I always liked the setup from the Four Winds L5R saga.

Eldest remaining child is a bastard.
Eldest legitimate child is a woman.
Eldest legitimate male child is a priest, has sworn off worldly power.
Youngest child was adopted into the previous dynasty for political reasons, is running as one of them.

Also, the Chinese Three Kingdoms period is a super-involved succession war.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

The Italian states had a fair amount of intrigue. Besides, everyone like "Florence + magic" as a setting.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Finder
NPC

Post by Finder »

Whenever I think of heirs being assassinated, I think of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand which started(?) WWI. You could work that in. What Angelfromanotherpin said has a good ring to it, too, though, with all the intricacies.

You'll have to let us know how the novel progresses. I'm interested.
Last edited by Finder on Sat May 25, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank god I'm pretty
Drolyt
Knight

Re: Writing a novel.

Post by Drolyt »

Lord Mistborn wrote:One of my long defered personal projects is too write a fantasy novel. So the outline I have is for a small work about a sucession crisis. While the king is comatose one his deathbed his son and heir gets assassinated leaving the kingdom with out a strong claimant to the throne, political machinations ensue.

What historical events should I be resarching to use as a model for such a secnario.
If you want to involve foreign countries the War of the Spanish Succession might be worth a look. In that case there were legitimate possible heirs but they were members of the royal families of foreign countries and thus the situation threatened the whole European power balance. It might be interesting if a foreign king was trying to use his relations to the royal family as an excuse to try and annex the kingdom.
Last edited by Drolyt on Sun May 26, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.