Bizarre Glorantha Trolling

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So far as I know, ducks mostly smoke cigars. Part of the whole Howard the Duck thing, I think.

Also, I kind of like the Chippen-ducks.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Sila wrote:About the Durulz (the ducks) I agree theyre a silly race. But it doesnt degrade the setting the least for me (the same way Gifs or Halflings also dont degrade D&D settings, even if theyre silly races as well, in my opinion).
Well, you're not being off topic, because this thread is in fact about Glorantha trolling. But surely you can see the fundamental difference between Gifs and Ducks and their impact on their respective settings: Gifs aren't in a setting that takes itself seriously.

Cartoon talking animals are destructive in a setting that promises deep Campbellian dissection of the Monomyth in a way that they simply are not in a setting that promises giant space hamsters.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Frank, are we ignoring the vast variety of talking anthropomorphic animals in myth?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:Frank, are we ignoring the vast variety of talking anthropomorphic animals in myth?
No. We are not talking about talking wolves or bears. We are not talking about satyrs, centaurs, or other chimerae. We aren't even talking about werewolves, Thoth, or minotaurs. We are talking about cartoon fucking ducks who are explicitly in the setting as comic relief. The fans of the setting refer to it as Glorantha's "California humor". Really.

Runequest has lots of beastmen that aren't played for laughs. For example, this is a Broo:

To my knowledge, no one is bothered by the Broo. They are entirely appropriate within the theme that Glorantha is supposedly aiming for. Also it's a cooler name than "Ibixian" (which is the same thing translated into D&D and thus given a loin cloth). But the Ducks come from "Duck Point" and have three fingers on their hands and speak like Donald Duck because that's "hilarious". It's only even called "Duck Point" in official setting materials for copyright reasons, the original name was "Duckburg". Seriously.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Um. Actually Broo aren't the same thing as Ibixians. Also that's not exactly a proper broo. For one thing, it's not covered in shit. For another, well, it's flaccid. Broo are horrible evil chaos spawn rape monsters. Literally.

But, no, that's a fair point.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I was interested in the setting until we got to the shit covered rape monsters.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah. And just one of the many, many things I would find interesting that got shitted up in Glorantha. Seriously. The elves are sapient trees that look like they all have bad fros. The dwarves are all mineral in nature, and basically drones. The goat people are shit covered rape monsters. The were-people are 'bone through nose primitive" skin walkers that have to invest a lot of build resources just to be vaguely were-creature-ish. Jack-o-bears (that's grizzlies with jack o lanterns for heads) are chaos creatures, which gets you kill on sight. Vampires are chaos creatures or suck. Liches sever all ties to life, and thus all reason to thwart death.

Ugh. What a shitty, boring setting.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

I submit that the ducks are the only thing that would make me want to play the setting, with or without tits.

I should stat them to D and D.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Just use Aarakocra stats and give 'em different flavor text.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Aarakocra can fly, and Ducks can't. A Duck in D&D is probably just a funny-looking Gnome.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Halfling. Ducks really seem more the "short, generally lucky and hard to frighten" type than the "magical prankster" type.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

FrankTrollman wrote: Runequest has lots of beastmen that aren't played for laughs. For example, this is a Broo:

To my knowledge, no one is bothered by the Broo. They are entirely appropriate within the theme that Glorantha is supposedly aiming for. Also it's a cooler name than "Ibixian" (which is the same thing translated into D&D and thus given a loin cloth). But the Ducks come from "Duck Point" and have three fingers on their hands and speak like Donald Duck because that's "hilarious". It's only even called "Duck Point" in official setting materials for copyright reasons, the original name was "Duckburg". Seriously.

-Username17
Just to prove that Duck People are 5x more hardcore than Groo:

Duck Penis:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Bah, two hours ago I got to play with a bunch of 2 week old baby ducks and that image spoiled the feeling I had. Thanks a pantload.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Worse, Broo take on the attributes of whatever is forced to birth them. If a broo raped a duck, you'd have a duck broo.

nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

silva wrote:Incredible how Pipes make everything better.
What? Picture this guy with a colonial hat, a monocle and a pipe. Total gentleman there.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm not sure whether TGD's newfound love of bipedal duckmen is rooted in hipster irony or blinkered faux-awesome, but it makes me ill either way.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

I fall under the first category.
PSY DUCK?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Whats different to other furries? Ducks are animals too!
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Fuck ducks.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
K
King

Post by K »

Well, the giff are at least the best of the joke races.

I mean, I wouldn't dare laugh when I saw this guy without expecting some serious shit to go down.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Since people are talking about Glorantha, I'll just plug King of Dragon Pass and say that it's a pretty amusing Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game with minor city management.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

infected slut princess wrote:Fuck ducks.
As long as the ducks are at the age of sexual maturity and they can properly communicate their consent, I'm down.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yeah, I don't know how Bundalini's All Skeleton Band doesn't have more traction in pop culture.

silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Zinegata wrote:Since people are talking about Glorantha, I'll just plug King of Dragon Pass and say that it's a pretty amusing Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game with minor city management.
Yup. I was introduced to Glorantha through KoDP. Its a great game.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
infected slut princess wrote:Fuck ducks.
As long as the ducks are at the age of sexual maturity and they can properly communicate their consent, I'm down.
Actual ducks are not so much with the consent. They're like anti-bonobos. Gang rape, necrophilia, homosexual necrophilia, bottom line is ducks are super gross rape machines.

But delicious!