4rries .... Dafuq?!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

deanruel87 wrote:I genuinely think that trying to fight a battle against aggression and insult through the use of changing the politically correct titles for the retarded and whatnot.
I don't think that trying to change the politically correct titles for the developmentally handicapped, blacks, gays, women, ect, is not perfectly valid.

I think that doing so is completely different from arguing that words should not be used for derogatory meanings that have nothing to do with those people.

Bitch has a meaning that may not be gendered, and I am on the fence about its use. [EDITED] obviously has no non racial use, so it is straight out. My anecdotal experience with developmentally handicapped people indicates that they do not actually care about the use of the word retarded to described people who are fucking stupid, and retarded pretty obviously has a meaning, derogatory though it is, independent of those people, but I am open to changing my opinion based on more evidence. I'm leaning against [EDITED] on the same principles of which I am on the fence about bitch, but there seems to be some genuine argument about it.

But in absolutely none of those cases, do I object to changing the way we are "allowed" to refer to people from retarded to developmentally handicapped (or from retarded to mentally challenged to developmentally handicapped), from [EDITED] to black (or African-American where appropriate and preferred), or from bitch to woman. (Obviously that last one is weird, but seriously, there are people who think bitch is an appropriate thing to call all women, just in general, not when insulting them specifically for qualities which are "bitchy." As for calling them bitchy, see above.)
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

deanruel87 wrote:As a straight white male.
Might I suggest:

"Honky", "Cracka", "Redneck", "Hillbilly", "White Trash", and "Breeder" - and I'm sure there are some others that can be applied, based on your nation of ancestry.

However, your general point is right on -- slurs against groups which have assimilated into the cultural mainstream tread the line between amusing and annoying while slurs against groups who have not assimilated into the cultural mainstream serves only to oppress and further divide.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Well, the big problem with 'retard' et al. is not that the word is appropriated as an insult, it's that the concept is. [British cigarette], [lady parts], and so forth are all appropriating transgressive language to pejorative effect.
'Retard' is (usually) actually comparing something to the actions taken by someone incapable of considering them. It's not just about picking a random, emotionally-loaded term, so switching to new terms will not solve that problem.

</armchair psychiatry>
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

Retard is one of those terms that is on a different spot on the euphemism treadmill every so many years.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

Currently working with developmentally disabled adults, here's my experience:
DD individuals (well, the ones that actually understand the word) generally don't take too well to the word "retard" (as in, you got a fucking fight on your hands); though, the "higher-functioning" individuals seem to be okay with it when directed towards non-DD people.

Side note: (at least in the state of Arizona) if you're licensed as a DD caregiver, it is technically a fucking crime to directly address a DD individual as a "retard" and such.
Last edited by wotmaniac on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I gamed with a guy that developed a learning disability after having a jagged piece of metal shoved through his eye socket into his brain. He used the term "retard" all the time.

I felt bad for him, because he could remember when he was a computer programmer before his car accident, and now the only place he could work was a place for mentally disabled adults. One that had no heat, no AC, and paid less than minimum wage (because you don't have to pay people with mental disabilities minimum wage, look it up if you don't believe me).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I gamed with a guy that developed a learning disability after having a jagged piece of metal shoved through his eye socket into his brain. He used the term "retard" all the time.
I know people with maximum cutaneous pigmentation who frequently use the term "nig ger".
Last edited by zugschef on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Do they use it with an "a", zugschief? It's very important to note the socio-cultural implications of as and ers.

Josh is right and he forgot "Peckerwood" for straight cis whatever whatever white people.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

While this social justice derail is fascinating could we possibly get back to complaining about how terrible 4e fans are.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Lord Mistborn wrote:While this social justice derail is fascinating could we possibly get back to complaining about how terrible 4e fans are.
Playing 4e for extended periods of time shrinks your genitals. Discuss.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Well what part of 4e do you want to talk about?
I mean, fuck, even the wizard articles prefer talking about 3.5

We could talk about how much 4e tried to sell out to videogames and yet what are we left with today?
Last edited by ishy on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

I played 4e once and my dog died.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I thought you couldn't have animal companions in 4e?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

You can. They just suck.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Eagles can lift over a hundred pounds. Given the general lack of flight in the game, that's pretty handy.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

ishy wrote: We could talk about how much 4e tried to sell out to videogames and yet what are we left with today?
And somehow it manages to be the only D&D game that doesn't actually have its own video game that theoretically uses the rules. Even Pathfailure sort of has one in the works, even though it's not looking good.

Unless you count that Flash game someone made that is "as close as you can get to 4E without actually treading on any copyrights and stuff".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Koumei wrote:
ishy wrote: We could talk about how much 4e tried to sell out to videogames and yet what are we left with today?
And somehow it manages to be the only D&D game that doesn't actually have its own video game that theoretically uses the rules. Even Pathfailure sort of has one in the works, even though it's not looking good.
I was talking about this with my gaming group another day, and the irony here is deafening.
Foxwarrior wrote:Eagles can lift over a hundred pounds. Given the general lack of flight in the game, that's pretty handy.
I'm surprised they left weights in the game, since they removed almost everything else that allowed non-combat physical interactions.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Now that you mention it, I don't remember things having weights in the game, just carrying capacities.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

I had an argument several years back with a 4rry that was trying to figure out how to account for size differences for stuff like intimidation and grappling. I suggested applying a +/-4 per size category, and everyone on the thread just completely lost their shit.
There were to separate shit storms that came out of that one:
- evidently, 4 was just way too big a #; (not knowing much about 4e) I was like "okay, then make the modifier 1 or 2"; but I was still an idiot because 4 was too big ; :roll:
- I was then berated with examples of "well, that's bullshit because I know this one person who is really small but can be really scary and can kick a lot of ass" and "that's bullshit because I know this one dude that is really big but he's not scary at all and is a real pussy".
:facepalm:
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

ishy wrote:Well what part of 4e do you want to talk about?
I mean, fuck, even the wizard articles prefer talking about 3.5
I like the directions for use: "open and place Spell Compendium next to your Player’s Handbook and use both books’ spell lists for your character’s class to make your spell selections"

"HURR, DERRR, HOW DO I BOOK?"
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Koumei wrote:

Unless you count that Flash game someone made that is "as close as you can get to 4E without actually treading on any copyrights and stuff".
There was a D&D facebook game that used lite 4e mechanics. I'm not sure if it's still around though, I remember the "use real money to purchase" currency was 'astral diamonds'
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

The lack of a 4e computer game has more to do with licensing issues with a stuggling Atari than anything else. It's a shame, too, because 4e as a computer game probably would have been pretty viable.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

I'm amazed at how horrible the D&D division did during the 3E and 4E Era electronically. They absolutely needed a 4E game. Part of the problem was that D&D Online was loosely based on 3E and wasn't going to change and that their digital initiatives lost most of their original promises and just stuck on the Character maker for the most part.

Really really shameful, because Digital D&D is the future. It's much easier to game on a virtual TABLETOP in most situations. But alas, that's for another developer to "get"
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Wasn't there some Neverwinter Nights 4e game that flopped pretty hard?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Daggerdale, I believe.