3d6 in order....

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

tussock wrote:Now, this must be 2nd edition without proficiencies or most of the other actual rules, because Shadzar, so that's ...
actually i was talking in general, and mentioned paladin, bard, and ranger in the first post which goes back to 1E requirements where 3d6 was default, but "here are 4 other ways to do it" was in the DMG.

also i never defined SIW or SDC, this is what you people are doing with much hilarity so you all decided on which edition and which order to use.

what you all have proven though is that, with the exception of the one who got fucked with a 3, you CAN easily make a character with 3d6 in order, so it isnt as flawed or failed as people make it to be.

you all found something to play, though it may not be the exact class you want.

i am wondering for those that have assign races and classes, which rules are you using and are you adding racial modifiers to any of the rolls, or just calling them straight rolls?

so are the people getting a 12 in CON and choosing dwarf, does your post mean you rolled a 12 for CON in whatever order you are using, or for say 2E did you roll an 11 and add your +1 CON racial bonus?

either way, you have proved that 3d6 in order can work. it doesnt give you superheros, and sometimes doesn't give you the exact pet class/race combo you want, but it gives you a character.

like the other spoof thread, i already said scores could be removed, but in that vein it isnt really hard to get the class/race combo.

nor in you people's thought experiment and exercise you are doing, YOU all decided to keep the first set of rolls. that was never mentioned in ANY post i made.

3d6 in order under 1E had a method that allowed you to roll basically 12 characters, i think, that were 3d6 in order, and keep the best character you wanted from that.

also i dont really see but a few that arent above average in scores. and the average for a PC is already above average for the rest of the people in the world like the common dirt farmer who would maybe have an above 10 in STR to do his job, and often max or 8 per rules in other stats that he doesnt need to live life as a non-adventurer.

seems people forget that EVERY edition sets the PCs above the average man. in 3rd with 0-level commoner, they raised the bar for non-NPC and non-PC stats, which meant the PC had to have greater stats, then again in 4th they made the PCs even stronger. for what reason? just to keep pushing to see how close PCs could start to 18 in all scores to try to break the game before you play it?

so compare these character to the majority of the population in the world they would be played in, and they are most above average, which is the point of the ability scores and using 3d6 in order to begin with.

other people that werent PC or NPC had what originally? 2d8 for scores?

NPC/PC: 3d6 3~18 (9 to 12 average)
everyone else: 2d8 2~16 (8 to 10 average)

that is the sole purpose of the stats, to be able to set them apart from the common people on SOME ground other than class abilities.

but again, you all proved you could find a working character within the system you choose even if not exactly the paladin/bard/ranger. so thanks for proving 3d6 in order DOES work even for "modern" gamers.

so the next thing is find out what other things really makes the difference in "modern" gaming since it obviously isnt any of the things already mentioned in previous threads.

S,I,W,D,C,Ch
13,13, 8, 6, 12, 9

smart fighter?
strong wizard?

gnome fighter! :rofl:
13, 14, 7, 6, 12, 9 (adjusted for racial modifiers)

quick and easy characters... so much fun and easy to get in a game to be able to play, rather than taking 6 hours to scour fiddly bits that you have to deal with... and they say 3rd removed a lot of accounting as did 4th. nope just changed what you had to keep track of, especially score bumps and such!
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
K
King

Post by K »

shadzar wrote:
what you all have proven though is that, with the exception of the one who got fucked with a 3, you CAN easily make a character with 3d6 in order, so it isnt as flawed or failed as people make it to be.

My rolls were 9, 7, 6, 11, 6, 9. That was my first and only set.

Using 2e, that means I can be a Human or Half-elf, and a Fighter or a Mage (Or Half-elf Fighter/Mage).

As a roleplayer, can you see how incredibly shitty it is to be forced to play basically one of three possible concepts where all are going to be failures at their duties in the party?
Last edited by K on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah Shadazar, I'm not sure how you think our roles justify 3d6.

My character is literally exactly the same as a character that has a 10 for every stat except in extremely minor useless things like a 5% shift in system shock.

You might as well just declare that I am a commoner, because I am indistinguishable from peasant number 3 in ability.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

K wrote:
shadzar wrote:

My rolls were 9, 7, 6, 11, 6, 9. That was my first and only set.

Using 2e, that means I can be a Human or Half-elf, and a Fighter or a Mage (Or Half-elf Fighter/Mage).

As a roleplayer, can you see how incredibly shitty it is to be forced to play basically one of three possible concepts where all are going to be failures at their duties in the party?
you are K so i know you cannot count....

human fighter
human mage
HE fighter
HE mage
HE F/M

that is 5.

define a failure at the duties? i keep hearing this brought up, but no proof.

are your characters playing in a vacuum with no other players and no other characters? do you have a 4th edition push-button DM from back in 1989? or do you have a person running the game as a DM that knows how to play and can adjust the things accordingly? or do you have a monkey running a published T$R adventure BTB?

also are you using SIW or SDC order? i guess SDC since you mention mage and that would give an 11 INT.

again it comes down to cooperation with AL the players and the DM to make the game work. if you don't have that in ANY edition or game, then YOUR GROUP has failed no matter what game you are playing be it TTRPG or even console games.

werent you the one trying to have a penis waving contest with other people about what score was low on someone else's sheet?

also as to that, even if it was not you; did everyone just go around showing their sheet to every other player? this is something new i only encountered post-3.0. the ability scores didnt mean jack or shit to the other players as it only affected your OWN character, and they are metagame concepts that the PC couldnt even talk about as you know, 4th wall and SoD and all that.

is it just everyone wanting to brag about their stats so end up in a penis waving contest?

i really dont understand this mindset and have asked, but never got an answer why another player needs to see the stats of anyone that isnt a PC/NPC/etc under his control other than the DM. who gives a shit, it isnt your character!

so please define what makes a PC a failure to his duties? you can quantitatively do this when you don't have other characters in the party or the monsters info before the game starts, or are you just overgeneralizing? how is a character created in such a vacuum quantitatively analyzed?

the same set is used in your previous post, so you are basing this character (you then chose to be a wizard) as a failure because of the 1 HP you pulled out of nowhere? ok, maybe you rolled it, but this thread is about the scores, not other components of the character. you just went of half-cocked and included other stuff on hyperbole.

yes as a PC your character is below average. what are the other PCs scores that a DM would have to play around?

you apply too much guess work to your resolution of what makes this character a failure and lean towards the least favorable extreme.

someone with better statistics software than me how about seeing what percentage of charactes would be rolled below and what above K's "wizards" here with those stats (unassigned since we dont know which order SIW or SDC), just the percentage this character would fall into. i am sure it is the lower percentile of characters, but what odds do you have of getting these exact stats? 9, 7, 6, 11, 6, 9
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
K
King

Post by K »

shadzar wrote: you are K so i know you cannot count....

human fighter
human mage
HE fighter
HE mage
HE F/M

that is 5.
It's three. Humans and Half-elves aren't a meaningful difference in concept.

As a roleplayer, I don't get to pick the class that I find interesting. I don't get to pick the race I find interesting.

I don't even get to be good at my role in the party. As a Mage I can barely learn new spells and so will end up with a random selection of spells and I can't ever take a hit anytime in the whole campaign. As a Fighter I am easy to hit, have low HPs, and miss more often than peasants.

It doesn't matter that my rolls were unlikely because these are the rolls that the system generated and I'd be forced to play them. Being forced to play these bad stats is going radically narrow my roleplaying experience and make the game less enjoyable for me and other people at the table who have to compensate for my flaws with their actions, spells, and items and thus narrow their own RP experience.

It's almost a definition of a bad mechanic when the results it produces are unplayable numbers AND a bad experience.
Last edited by K on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

shadzar wrote:what you all have proven though is that, with the exception of the one who got fucked with a 3, you CAN easily make a character with 3d6 in order, so it isnt as flawed or failed as people make it to be.
But you do agree that 3d6 is flawed.
Then it only makes sense that people prefer/try other methods of generating characters that they perceive/hope are not as flawed.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

shadzar wrote:the ability scores didnt mean jack or shit to the other players as it only affected your OWN character, and they are metagame concepts that the PC couldnt even talk about

i really dont understand this mindset and have asked, but never got an answer why another player needs to see the stats of anyone that isnt a PC/NPC/etc under his control other than the DM. who gives a shit, it isnt your character!
Emphasis Mine.

Shadzar, you are incredibly odd. a) the ability scores do mean something to the other characters, because you can totally see how strong or tough or charismatic other people are. And usually a fair number of other things.

b) No one has ever claimed that you need to see other players sheets. But then again, I don't need to play D&D. I want to play D&D, and I want to see the other party members sheets, so if they want to show them to me why shouldn't they. No seriously Shadzar, can you give any possible reason why K shouldn't show me his sheet if he wants me to see it and I want to see it?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

IF, the other player wishes you o know them. that is the key factor. you don't get to decide IF they want to or not though. when they don't want to since it isnt your character, do you act like a Kaelik or spoiled prat and in either case through a temper tantrum?

i see the problem you have easily right here
I want to see the other party members sheets
and what? who gives a damn? you are responsible for your character, not other people. go back to petticoat junction or wherever the hillbillies come from and mind your own business?

maybe K doesnt want you nose in his, maybe he does. it is HIS(her? i really don't know) choice, not yours.

your want to see everyone's shet and such is already a problem gamewise because you don't need to see them to play.

another case of a child. wants outweighing the needs. :(

doesnt "modern" D&D have an age range because maturity is required?

which daycare is providing their charges with the D&D books and internet access to a forum such as TGD?
ishy wrote:
shadzar wrote:what you all have proven though is that, with the exception of the one who got fucked with a 3, you CAN easily make a character with 3d6 in order, so it isnt as flawed or failed as people make it to be.
But you do agree that 3d6 is flawed.
Then it only makes sense that people prefer/try other methods of generating characters that they perceive/hope are not as flawed.
never said it was or was not flawed, nor did i claim it to be the best method to use as others have wrongfully ascribed to me because that is what they wish to argue against.

i only said it is a method that works, and it does. its purpose is to get a character 6 ability scores so you can move on to the next step. it does that. in that sense, it doesn't seem flawed at all to me. misguided in the case of very bad luck that returns a score lower than any race or class could use, but not in essence flawed in general.
Last edited by shadzar on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

shadzar wrote:
never said it was or was not flawed, nor did i claim it to be the best method to use as others have wrongfully ascribed to me because that is what they wish to argue against.

i only said it is a method that works, and it does. its purpose is to get a character 6 ability scores so you can move on to the next step. it does that. in that sense, it doesn't seem flawed at all to me. misguided in the case of very bad luck that returns a score lower than any race or class could use, but not in essence flawed in general.
First of all, you started this thread to ask why people didn't care for 3d6 in order. Your claim that 'it works' is laughable because it does not work for the people who have responded. They have been clear that a major part of the appeal of playing D&D is creating a character that they're interested in playing. Sometimes you want to be a cleric and roleplay that certainty and devotion to a divine ideal. Other times you want to play a Paladin - a paragon of goodness and honor devoted to his cause. But most of the people didn't get to play the concept that they wanted (and to be fair, for some people, that includes being somewhat effective at their chosen profession).

If I wanted to play 'pretend football', I might want to be someone like Peyton Manning (I live in Knoxville, after all, where he played in college). I might not want to be like myself.

Part of the appeal of a fantasy game is being something different from what you are. Attributes represent some of that difference.

Now, it may work for you, but clearly you're in a very small minority. You've made it plain that you will not play over the internet, and you've made it abundantly clear that you cannot find players in your area... Since there are lots of players in every state - even in the bible belt - it might be time to accept that your preferred play style is extremely unpopular.

Mad props for advocating for it - but you're not winning any converts.

Personally, I'd rather make some accommodations to other play styles and actually play. Being the 'only true disciple' seems like a pretty hollow victory.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Shadzar wrote:and what? who gives a damn? you are responsible for your character, not other people. go back to petticoat junction or wherever the hillbillies come from and mind your own business?

maybe K doesnt want you nose in his, maybe he does. it is HIS(her? i really don't know) choice, not yours.
And this seems to come back to the issue you flamed about in your previous thread about how playing with friends is a luxury.

If you can't find anyone to play with you it may be because you seem to view the game as everyone playing against each other.

I can't think of any reason why every player shouldn't show every other player their character sheet.
Last edited by Wiseman on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

When I first picked up the 3.0 PHB back in 2000, one of the things that made me most happy was how a lot of restrictions from 2e were GONE. Any race could be any class and there were no crazy stat requirements like having a 17 for Charisma to be a Paladin.

I also liked how the default ability score generation was 4d6, drop lowest, arrange to preference.

It was like there were so many possibilities all of a sudden. There were so many choices for making a character. My imagination exploded. 3E was so awesome.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

infected slut princess wrote:When I first picked up the 3.0 PHB back in 2000, one of the things that made me most happy was how a lot of restrictions from 2e were GONE. Any race could be any class and there were no crazy stat requirements like having a 17 for Charisma to be a Paladin.

I also liked how the default ability score generation was 4d6, drop lowest, arrange to preference.

It was like there were so many possibilities all of a sudden. There were so many choices for making a character. My imagination exploded. 3E was so awesome.
how many race and class combinations did 2E have for those people that sought out such? honeslty, how many?

you realize that 17 CHA for a paladin isnt really that crazy right? the 16 to a score bonus was pretty straight forward, so adding a point for another score isnt crazy at all when you make a half class.

what does the default have to do with anything on whether or not this method works or not? what you chose to play, was your choice.

what would you have done if that is ALL 3E did. no feats, no skills, just you got to pick your race and class first from the 2E list?

was it only those factors that shaped your imagination?
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around
Just want one thing
Just to play the king
But the castle's crumbled
And you're left with just a name

Where's your crown, King Nothing?
Where's your crown?
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Shadzar wrote:you realize that 17 CHA for a paladin isnt really that crazy right? the 16 to a score bonus was pretty straight forward, so adding a point for another score isnt crazy at all when you make a half class.
:whut:

I suspect this means 3d6 in order is OK because you can just swap your stats around and modify them upward with "not crazy" house rules until you get what you need anyway. Which is to say, 3d6 in order is fine if you don't use 3d6 in order. Or maybe it's just white noise.
other people that werent PC or NPC had what originally? 2d8 for scores?
No. The hints in the books are that ordinary Humans should not have combat modifiers, so 7-14 for AD&D (or 9-12 for Basic). Which is to say, they don't have stats. But AD&D also has things like the "average" NPC Dwarf having 14 Str and 12 Int, or the "average" NPC Elf having 12 Str and 16 Int.

If you really want original, you only needed a 15 (13 or less sometimes) to get the best modifier for any stat in pre-Greyhawk OD&D, and that was most often just an XP boost for your class and nothing mechanical at all. 3d6 in order makes sense there, there's only 3 classes and none of the races have stat requirements either.

Kaelik's 12/13/7/12/14/9 {SIWDCc in those days} could have +5% XP as a Fighter or Wizard, has 100% system shock survival, and could choose to play an Elf, Dwarf, or Hobbit for some bonuses, or even a Cleric with -10% XP. Awesome stats.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
vytzka
NPC

Post by vytzka »

STR 13
DEX 10
CON 16
INT 12
WIS 8
CHA 15

That is kind of a badass fighter. Maybe one more?

STR 12
DEX 13
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 11
CHA 13

Shittily mediocre, but not terrible per se. A thief, I suppose.

Come on, random.org, give me your worst

STR 11
DEX 5
CON 11
INT 12
WIS 7
CHA 12

That's more like it. Maybe a really shitty wizard because really shitty fighters are kinda old.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Heh. My next pB3 game: "Conga Line of Doom."
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I thought the point was to play a fighter if you got shitty stats and die early so you can roll something you can actually have fun playing?
Last edited by ishy on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

ishy wrote:I thought the point was to play a fighter if you got shitty stats and die early so you can roll something you can actually have fun playing?
In my experience, if you play a fighter with a crummy Strength score, you need to start making sad puppy eyes at the DM until he lets you find some Gauntlets of Ogre Power. So ironically, you might be better off playing a fighter with 11 Strength vs. a fighter with 17 Strength because the former is more pitiful.

In practice, I always played a cleric though, to guarantee a minimum amount of healing is available at least.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

ishy wrote:I thought the point was to play a fighter if you got shitty stats and die early so you can roll something you can actually have fun playing?
Yeah, and the point a lot of people made in response was "Instead of rolling up a dozen schlubs and watching them die grisly deaths, why don't I just say that happened each time I roll a shitty statline, and keep rolling until I get something I can actually have fun playing?".

It's basically the "take 20" method of chargen.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

vytzka wrote:STR 13
DEX 10
CON 16
INT 12
WIS 8
CHA 15

That is kind of a badass fighter. Maybe one more?
No it isn't. It is a hit point sponge, and maybe a party face.
STR 12
DEX 13
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 11
CHA 13

Shittily mediocre, but not terrible per se. A thief, I suppose.
Indistinguishable from a random dude off the street. Fodder no matter what you class you throw on.

Beyond proving that 3d6 in order is bad, I'm not sure what the point here is.
Last edited by Voss on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

How about, instead of rolling until you get a set of stats you kind of like, we just use fucking point buy from the get go, and get on with our lives?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

STR 3, DEX 7, CON 11, INT 7, WIS 8, CHA 10
AD&D wrote:Don't give up on a character just because he has a low score. Instead, view it as an opportunity to role-play, to create a unique and entertaining personality in the game. Not only will you have fun creating that personality, but other players and the DM will have fun reacting to him.
It also says that if you don't qualify for any class, you must seek the permission of your DM to reroll; because apparently they expect some DMs to say no? Guess I have to stick to what I can, and play 0-level PC. I shall go by the name of...Axe Rain! He had the misfortune of having pissed off a mandrill; which thankfully meant his life was not drawn out for very long.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

sabs wrote:How about, instead of rolling until you get a set of stats you kind of like, we just use fucking point buy from the get go, and get on with our lives?
YOU FUCKING MUNCHKIN, GET OUT OF MY BASEMENT! WE'RE NOT WRITING YOUR STUPID FANTASY NOVELA, HERE!

Sorry. Shadthread is Shadthread. Them's the breaks.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Here is roll #2. I'll go ahead and plan on naming him Aeon Rain. His stats are: STR 18, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 17, WIS 17, CHA 18
And he is better than his older, now dead, brother Axe in EVERY way. It almost doesn't matter what Aeon chooses, and he can choose anything, because he will be noticeably better at it than everyone else.

That array is similar to one I've seen done by a friend of mine (he got a better set) who rolled for his druid in front of me, and few believe me to this day that they were legit. He then proceeded to roll on the chart for random psionic powers; as it was a 2E game and I had just gotten the Psionic's Handbook. He ended up literally more than a dozen psionic powers and more PSPs than many dedicated psionic characters put together. We never did run that character.

Addendum
RobbyPants wrote:YOU FUCKING MUNCHKIN, GET OUT OF MY BASEMENTMOM'S BASEMENT! WE'RE NOT WRITING YOUR STUPID FANTASY NOVELA, HERE!

Sorry. Shadthread is Shadthread. Them's the breaks.
Fixed it for you :P
Last edited by virgil on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!