DDN, I'm just a trolling you all!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Alternately, they could have just gone with the non-stupid version, in which Yoda calmly drained off the lightning, then paralyzed, force-caged or otherwise incapacitated his opponent, which Anakin could have impetuously screwed up, thus creating a coherent and sensible scene. while showcasing a jedi master as actually badass, and why emotional fuckery is bad, preserving the integrity of the story, character and setting.

But no, superball laser-sword CGI effects.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

The whole jedi order as portrayed is stupid anyway - love is bad, family is bad, emotions are bad... they leave a kid's mother as a slave and expect him to become a good man?
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Yoda: I sense much fear in you! <snip long, convoluted, scary speech>

Anakin: Yeah no shit, I'm a 10-year old kid taken from my mom and everything I've ever known and surrounded by these weird, powerful wizards of legend that are all staring at me intently. Christ what an asshole!
Last edited by phlapjackage on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
K
King

Post by K »

Fuchs wrote:The whole jedi order as portrayed is stupid anyway - love is bad, family is bad, emotions are bad... they leave a kid's mother as a slave and expect him to become a good man?
It's a surface rip-off of Buddhism that says that attachment is bad. Attachment leads to all of the negative emotions.

A more nuanced and detailed rip-off of Buddhism would be less stupid and lead to a less-stupid script, but you can't expect much from the creator of Jar-Jar.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

K wrote:
Fuchs wrote:The whole jedi order as portrayed is stupid anyway - love is bad, family is bad, emotions are bad... they leave a kid's mother as a slave and expect him to become a good man?
It's a surface rip-off of Buddhism that says that attachment is bad. Attachment leads to all of the negative emotions.

A more nuanced and detailed rip-off of Buddhism would be less stupid and lead to a less-stupid script, but you can't expect much from the creator of Jar-Jar.
Can't expect much from anyone who thinks forbidding love is good, no matter the source of the idea or how much the source was corrupted.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Fuchs wrote:Can't expect much from anyone who thinks forbidding love is good, no matter the source of the idea or how much the source was corrupted.
According to the EU, it came about when most of the Jedi order was destroyed (because they charged into a Sith trap, naturally, although this one was also a trap for most of the Sith), and the only survivors were the ones who had been like, "Screw that whole 'doing stuff' thing, let's just chill in our temples and meditate."

Then the Republic basically went, "hey, hey, wanna go do stuff?" and they were like, "*sigh*, I suppose if nobody else is doing it..."

Or at least that's my understanding.

Yoda's supposedly actually old enough to have known primary sources from that time.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Fuchs wrote:Can't expect much from anyone who thinks forbidding love is good, no matter the source of the idea or how much the source was corrupted.
According to the EU, it came about when most of the Jedi order was destroyed (because they charged into a Sith trap, naturally, although this one was also a trap for most of the Sith), and the only survivors were the ones who had been like, "Screw that whole 'doing stuff' thing, let's just chill in our temples and meditate."

Then the Republic basically went, "hey, hey, wanna go do stuff?" and they were like, "*sigh*, I suppose if nobody else is doing it..."

Yoda's supposedly actually old enough to have known primary sources from that time.
In The Old Republic there's a side quest where you as a jedi padawan are asked to spy on two other padawans for their masters. The two padawans are in love. You can either follow the "light side" and tattle-tale on their love, or follow the dark side and cover up for them. The game is set before Yoda.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The point is that the original Buddhist teaching is to divest yourself of heartache by loving everyone and not giving a fuck if they love you back. But the retarded Lucas version is "No Luvs For You!" because he is an idiot.

-Username17
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

And we don't want non-christian aliens practicing universal love and mercy. Because that could confuse the audience.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I'd be more confused with christians practising universal love and mercy.
Last edited by ishy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Honestly, when people start talking about universal love and mercy, I start expecting death cults, suicide and maybe insect spirits. But one way or another, I know people are going to be dying horribly at some point.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Fuchs wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:

In The Old Republic there's a side quest where you as a jedi padawan are asked to spy on two other padawans for their masters. The two padawans are in love. You can either follow the "light side" and tattle-tale on their love, or follow the dark side and cover up for them. The game is set before Yoda.
Also in KotOR (which takes place before The Old Republic) the Jedi are anti-love. It's implied that it has something to do with the Exar Kun war (the war with the Sith prior to the one in KotOR). Jolee does call the Jedi out on it, because he's just awesome like that:
Jolee Bindo wrote:"Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you."
But Frank pretty much got the real reason why the prequel Jedi have an anti-love philosophy.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Also in KotOR (which takes place before The Old Republic)
Hey real quick, what is the name of Kotor all spelled out again?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Knights of the Old Republic.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

darkmaster wrote:Knights of the Old Republic.
Now read what I quoted, to see why I asked that question. I knew the answer.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Right, but what's your point? It is factually correct that Knights of the Old Republic is set hundreds of years prior to The Old Republic. What are you trying to prove?
-JM
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

John Magnum wrote:Right, but what's your point? It is factually correct that Knights of the Old Republic is set hundreds of years prior to The Old Republic. What are you trying to prove?
The Old Republic is the name of the government that existed during the Knights of the Old Republic. Because that is why they are Knights of the Old Republic, and not Knights of before The Old Republic.

So in fact, Knights of the Old Republic is not hundreds of years prior to the Old Republic.

So perhaps, maybe, if someone wants to talk about SWTOR, they should use some term besides The Old Republic.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Kaelik, that's why Darth capitalized "The" in "The Old Republic" in the middle of the fucking sentence. You are free to kaelik all you want about the unbearable indignity humanity would've suffered if it had been in the beginning of the written sentence, or even (the horror!) spoken, but there and then Darth was correct.

(I will now GTFO to the Stalkers thread.)
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

The name of the government during KotOR was "The Republic", it's not officially "The Old Republic" until after Return of the Jedi, when The New Republic" is established and retroactively renamed the prior one (kind of like WWI was The Great War until WWII happened).

But saying "The Republic" is kind of like saying "Rome", because The Republic had continuity as the galactic government for millennia.

KotOR was set nearly 4000 years before Attack of the Clones, so it's reasonable to think that Obi Wan in Phantom Menace would think about the events of KotOR as occuring in the "Old Republic" era, even if now "The Old Republic" refers to the entire millennia-spanning history because the Empire broke continuity.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You never cease to amaze me, Kaelik.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

On a note unrelated to the OP but calling back to earlier I'm still not clear on the objection to Yoda cutting things with a plasma sword. He is a warrior priest, from an order that was originally an pendant military organization.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Morat
Journeyman

Post by Morat »

Sashi wrote:(kind of like WWI was The Great War until WWII happened).
Strangely enough, it was first called the "first world war" in September 1914, and this guy wrote a book in 1920 called The First World War. Though I agree, it was perfectly clear what "The Old Republic" refers to, especially given the context.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Morat wrote:
Strangely enough, it was first called the "first world war" in September 1914, and this guy wrote a book in 1920 called The First World War. Though I agree, it was perfectly clear what "The Old Republic" refers to, especially given the context.
Uh, no it wasn't. I've seen the Star Wars movies, but I don't follow the games or novels or whatever else is out there, even though I know there is a lot of other material.I had no clue what so ever about the difference, even with the 'context' that was given.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a video game. Star Wars: The Old Republic is an MMO, released several years later, that takes place several hundred years later. The "Old Republic" is also the name of the government that existed during the in-game era during which both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: The Old Republic occur. Therefore, Kaelik is very mad that people would refer to Star Wars: The Old Republic as "The Old Republic".
Last edited by John Magnum on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JM
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Previn wrote:
Morat wrote:
Uh, no it wasn't. I've seen the Star Wars movies, but I don't follow the games or novels or whatever else is out there, even though I know there is a lot of other material.I had no clue what so ever about the difference, even with the 'context' that was given.
You are not the target audience. You've only seen the movies, the Old Republic means absolutely nothing to you, and noone cares.