SKR quotables

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Wiseman wrote:I heard that one of the developers said that "interacting" with an illusion means either touching it or taking a standard action to specifically examine it.
Makes sense to me.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Can we please stop talking about English longbows, it's making my joints ache.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

More SKR quotables rescued from the Den's Pathfinder thread:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Is it really that terrible to want an iconic character concept to be good enough for normal play?
I think it's terrible to want a deliberately crippled character concept to be "good enough" that he's effectively not crippled.

Strangely, I don't see this sort of hubbub about the lack of options in the game to make the "blind warrior" iconic character concept "good enough for normal play."
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Yet the blind seer(oracle), is not only playable but gets a pretty nice bonus for giving up their sight, as do all the disabled options for the oracle.
Power of the gods > ascetic serenity
Sean K Reynolds wrote:

Clerics worshiping a concept or idea get the same power as clerics worshiping a god, presumably because of the strength of their own will/faith/devotion. Wouldn't ascetic serenity be something like that level of devotion?
When a 20th-level monk is throwing about the equivalent of 3 9th-level cleric spells per day, that may be a valid comparison.

Also, referring back to idilippy's comment about the blind oracle: an oracle with the clouded vision curse isn't really blind in the sense that the "blind warrior" iconic character concept is blind. The oracle is super-nearsighted, the blind warrior is actually blind, can't see at all.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Thanks for the nice cup of SEETHING RAGE, OgreBattle. This is the SKR I know and hate.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Same SKR btw:
[url=http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2lbda?Oracles-Awesome-Display-Question#16 wrote:SKR[/url]]In other words, don't use roleplaying to balance mechanics, and don't use mechanics to balance roleplaying.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Dude's like a stopped clock. Or me. Can't help but be right occasionally.

Having said that, you can totally use penalty-cancelling mechanics to balance the penalty mechanics you got loaded with for roleplay reasons. Like being blind. Those penalties are for temporarily blinded characters and monsters, not something you want to play with all the time. And they have to cost something because you're logically immune to blindness and darkness afterward.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Oh Fuck Yes! This news makes me very happy.

So, do you think he actually quit, or was he fired/encouraged to leave?
Last edited by TiaC on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

TiaC wrote: So, do you think he actually quit, or was he fired/encouraged to leave?
Is Jodi his wife? Well she seems to need to move to go to law school, so SKR is going with her.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Welp.

As much as I hate SKR his contributions were always good to give me some entertainment. Not sure what I'll get out of PF without him there.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Seerow wrote:Not sure what I'll get out of PF without him there.
We'll still have Jason Buhlman. He's no SKR, but that's like noting that Chris Rock is no Richard Pryor.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

James Jacobs is still around too, isn't he?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:
TiaC wrote: So, do you think he actually quit, or was he fired/encouraged to leave?
Is Jodi his wife? Well she seems to need to move to go to law school, so SKR is going with her.
While he very well may be moving with his wife who is going to law school, he also said that this is totally amicable and works out great with where his and [some guy's] professional goals.

Which means that even if he didn't have this excuse, they damn sure didn't want him working on Pathfinder II anyway.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

A bit sad. Initially I thought 'hey maybe I'll go do some writing on his own' but then I realized without 3.x/Pathfinder providing some sort of framework to work inside he'd probably just turn out 3d7 roll-under systems or something too awful to even bother wasting mockery on :(
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

CCarter wrote:A bit sad. Initially I thought 'hey maybe I'll go do some writing on his own' but then I realized without 3.x/Pathfinder providing some sort of framework to work inside he'd probably just turn out 3d7 roll-under systems or something too awful to even bother wasting mockery on :(
Apparently he's working on a novel.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I seriously can't read anything written by SKR without raging at the sheer intellectual dishonesty.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

I found this one.

He's seriously saying that a pathfinder character shouldn't do awesome stuff like Batman, but should instead be a shitty realistic dude unable to do anything special.

So don't complain when your mundane guy try something cool and fail miserably. It's not a bug, it's a game-design decision, because reality is not a batman movie.
Gnorman
Apprentice

Post by Gnorman »

The mundane aspects of the game have to try model mundane reality, otherwise the player has no frame of reference to understand what they can do without magic. Using the "it's magic" (aka "a wizard did it") is a cheesy excuse to cover weak game design.
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha are you fucking kidding me
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

fighters have to suck, or people get confused
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

GâtFromKI wrote:So don't complain when your mundane guy try something cool and fail miserably. It's not a bug, it's a game-design decision, because reality is not a batman movie.
But that youtube video, is a scene from a movie.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

ishy wrote:But that youtube video, is a scene from a movie.
I didn't know that. :/

But it's still a great representation of how a Pathfinder rogue should fight according to SKR. :p
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

I found this one.
I'm sad that AMIB backed down so easily. SKR invokes bluff as an argument; but that actually didn't have anything at all to do with the examples in play.

Also, I can't believe that everybody let him get away with his strawman/red herring b.s. on Sneak Attack - people get away with sneak attack because of flanking. This, despite the fact that the sneaking by RAW is practically unusable for surprise in all but the most edge cases (a point he continues to avoid).

Additionally, SKR doesn't seem to understand the point of non-facing - rules that he himself helped to write. In that thread, he seems to be suggesting that a given creature has his head on a swivel every waking minute (unless specifically and explicitly distracted, that is).
The thing is, the non-facing/head-on-a-swivel conceit was for combat simplification and to help cover for instances where the players aren't actively involved in narrative positioning.
Either that, or they really were actively going out of their way to remove even the possibility of fun narrative elements from the game's skill system (and I refuse to believe that someone could intentionally be that cretinous).

And then there is his ABSOLUTE GEM from his previous post:
SKR wrote: [why to take 10]
And that's why take 10 is a convenience for the player, [...] , let's save the time rolling and not risk me failing [...]
[why NOT to take 10 - same post]
It takes the same amount of time in game whether you roll or take 10.
I'm not inappropriately taking anything out of context here. He really is talking out of both sides of his mouth, and his 2 arguments really do contradict each other in this respect.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

It takes the same amount of time in game whether you roll or take 10.
I'd never heard of the guy before. This line alone convinced me that he's never actually played an RPG.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Laertes wrote: I'd never heard of the guy before. This line alone convinced me that he's never actually played an RPG.
:rofl:
He was one of the "Big 3" co-authors/designers for D&D 3.0; and even a significant contributor to 3.5 (and now PF, apparently).

Which makes your observation VERY telling of his competence.
Last edited by ACOS on Mon May 26, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

That would be why. I'm not a D&D player.