What Are The Effects Of Campaign PTSD On You?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Neon Sequitur
Apprentice

Post by Neon Sequitur »

My characters have a tendency to capture murder-hobos in their sleep, then take them to the authorities and collect whatever bounty they have on their heads.

I just don't like murder-hobos. I don't like the trail of bodies they leave behind them. I don't like that playing style. I don't like people who insist on playing in that style.

No reason. Why?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

erik wrote:One PTSD I have from D&D is always assume a group of zombies contains some fucking ghouls acting like zombies as a surprise.
Ghouls are extremely fucking evil in any version of D&D, even 4E D&D. There are more dangerous monsters of their level range (specters, GIANT FUCKING CRABS) and there are monsters that are more lethal in aggregate (orcs with greataxes or falchions; elves with bows), but they sit perfectly on that curve of being individually badass while also being likely to show up in any particular or generic adventure.

While we're on the subject, 3E D&D celestials are cuisinarts of death and pain and broken dreams. A Hound Archon is CR4 my ass. Fortunately, even the most unforgiving DM won't just send them out at you willy-nilly, but I've seen more than my share of jaws drop and underpants filled by someone tagging in a Hound or Trumpet Archon with Planar Ally or even Summon Monster.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I had a character die to ghouls and the party was able to run away because the ghouls (and zombies natch) stopped to eat him.

That character's name was Cookie (I was looking at an oreo package when picking names).

Everyone laughed.

Poor Cookie.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Damn, trumpet archons have extremely high spell resistance for their level. Although, hilariously, they actually can't cast their seventh level spells due to having a WIS of only 16.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I like to always get two hundred feet of rope and possibly an eleven foot pole. Because it's that little bit more, so when the DM explicitly goes "Oh it's just that tiny bit longer than the 10' pole, FUCK YOU AHAHAHA" I can go "Checkmate motherfucker*".

In Neverwinter Nights I'm starting to learn that you can't even trust demons to honour their word - what is this world coming to?

If there is no obvious reason to specifically pick a fight with it, don't. If the monster is willing to talk and isn't specifically working against you, starting a fight with it isn't actually going to turn out well.

The less often the RNG needs to be invoked, the better, because Yuffie** is a [EDITED].

If I suspect the dungeon has an actual map that was drawn up by a human, rather than a random map generator or "I'll make it up as you go along", then chances are they went left-to-right, and actually placed the important things first, so staying left is more likely to get what we want - or to result in us doing things in the correct order (the key to the door is further left than the door).

I know someone who, in WoD games, never makes eye contact. He writes it into the character description "never makes eye contact", specifically so if another PC says "I use Dominate..." he can point to that and the effect fails. Presumably if an NPC ever does it and he points that out, the enraged ST will decide to suddenly apply all of the distrust he's been building up by "being a shifty bastard who never looks people in the eye".

My main "damage" from games though is simply "don't trust the MC to in any way help you or look after your character. If you can't make a session, specify that your character is now a cardboard cut-out being carried by two union workers, Barry and Rodders. They are not under any circumstances to be played by the MC and affected by combat or traps. Don't expect the MC to make challenges fair or beatable, that's your job to do by making a strong character."

*Translator Note: Schneizel made an illegal move in chess, so it's odd that he would say checkmate. In che- oh, wrong show.

**The dicebot on the channel.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Mostly just one:

I don't play in PuGs, EVER. If I don't know you well enough to have an idea of your GMing style, I interview you before accepting an invitation to your table and politely refuse if we turn out not to be compatible.

No game is better than a crap game.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Koumei wrote:I like to always get two hundred feet of rope and possibly an eleven foot pole. Because it's that little bit more, so when the DM explicitly goes "Oh it's just that tiny bit longer than the 10' pole, FUCK YOU AHAHAHA" I can go "Checkmate motherfucker*".
This was approximately my response two weeks ago. We were fighting this Arcane Trickster with a few levels on us who was very fond of using his swift actions. So he tosses off a roadblock for the pally and then uses a swift action to break my Spell Component Pouch from across the room. I turn to the DM, say "No skin off my back, I've had two Spell Component Pouches since the beginning of the game." and watch his surprise.
K
King

Post by K »

More to add:

In DnD, I always get a magic weapon first. There have been far too many games when I needed to toss a +1 dagger to a fighter so that he can be in the current fight at all.

I'm also a compulsive collector of scrolls and minor magic items. I may not know when a Detect Weather 1/day Amulet or a bracelet that turns into a non-magic dagger is going to be useful, but I've got that situation covered.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

K: yeah, collecting magic items that do "stuff" and then using them whenever the opportunity comes up is not only fun and quirky, it can actually save your ass or get you ahead of the curve on wealth occasionally.

Playing a UMD-user in Neverwinter Nights has been so much fun because of this (and because it's hilarious to wear the Talisman of Pure Good, the Ring of Anarchy, the Gloves of Absolute Law and the Cloak of Utter Evil all at once). "Oh, a scroll/wand/thing? I can use that next fight!"
Dogbert wrote: I don't play in PuGs, EVER.
PuGs? You're going to need to explain that one.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

Neon Sequitur wrote:My characters have a tendency to capture murder-hobos in their sleep, then take them to the authorities and collect whatever bounty they have on their heads.

I just don't like murder-hobos. I don't like the trail of bodies they leave behind them. I don't like that playing style. I don't like people who insist on playing in that style.

No reason. Why?
Bitch. Please. Murder-Hobos don't sleep.

pugs: pick up groups
Last edited by Midnight_v on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
LeadPal
Apprentice

Post by LeadPal »

I will donate all of my treasure to shore up the party's defences against mind control if that's what it takes. My experiences with dominate have been miserable, and I just do not want to deal with it anymore.

I always use a wand of mage armour, even with characters that wear real armour. Just in case of incorporeal attacks.

SOP is to never enter a room through the door when we could enter through the ceiling instead.

Early on the party needs to sit down and discuss countermeasures for swarms and harpy archers. At the very least, I would like the GM to understand that probably half the party has no possible countermeasures at all.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

If given any sufficient amount of downtime as a wizard I always make scrolls. Most people don't and don't expect you to. I did it a lot the first time I played RPGA and more than a few times when I was whipping out scrolls I had a GM ask to look at my character sheet to be able to believe I actually made as many as I had.

I always get a summonable companion of some sort sooner or later no matter what class I'm playing.

I always play character with above average intelligence no matter the class because more than one GM has insisted that only higher INT characters can make make complex plans.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

Never sleep within sighting distance of the ocean, or beaches. Never.

Always have a pound of soap with you, and do not use it up by washing.

Get a silver/mithral dagger, even if you're a wizard with 7 Str.

Buy a wand of protection from evil as soon as possible. Yeah, let everyone laugh at you, but trust me, the time will come soon when they tug your shirt for a casting or two.
Last edited by Antariuk on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Neon Sequitur
Apprentice

Post by Neon Sequitur »

Midnight_v wrote:
Neon Sequitur wrote:My characters have a tendency to capture murder-hobos in their sleep, then take them to the authorities and collect whatever bounty they have on their heads.

No reason. Why?
Bitch. Please. Murder-Hobos don't sleep.

pugs: pick up groups

They sleep when the GM says they're sleeping. But yeah, point taken, so in some games, I have to knock 'em out. It's not as hard as it sounds 'cuz they seem to have this "PCs v. NPCs" outlook and they don't expect to get jacked up by one of their "allies."
Scrivener
Journeyman

Post by Scrivener »

This is actually DM PTSD, but my group has learned never to list house keys as part of possessions of dead NPCs. Invariably the game turns into a large murder for real estate scam.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Oooh, another one. I was reminded by Antariuk's "always have a dagger".

In D&D always wear a spiked gauntlet. This way I provide flanking thanks to a threatening weapon, whether I am proficient or not, off-hand or not. It cannot be disarmed and it doesn't count towards spellcasting failure.

[edit and more memories return:

My wizards always have a second fake spellbook juuust in case I have to hand it over. It's never happened, but some day. Always have at least one extra spell component pouch... sometimes we'd use them as quirky pouches of many things since you are assumed to have all the components for your spells.

Living Greyhawk PTSD:
Make/buy scrolls of loads of things especially at early levels.
Carry a potion of CLW as your "stabilize me" precaution if you go down.
Get a wand of CLW.
Early scroll/potion priorities: Magic Weapon, Prot vs. Evil, Faerie Fire
Try to avoid playing with people who insist on having a cleric in the party, they are aiming to be the weakest link (clerics are great and all, but not if they are forced to be a bandaid for someone else's incompetence).
Last edited by erik on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Re: What Are The Effects Of Campaign PTSD On You?

Post by shadzar »

deathdealingjawa wrote:What are some superstitions (habits with no in-game direct cause) your characters exhibit in games you play in because of your past experience as a player in other games?
nothing that i can think of. every one of those types of things listed hsa come from somewhere else in the real world. camping, book i have read and learned from protagonists mistake, etc....

as everyone knows i think outside the box(rules) when i play and am not genetically attached to the rules, so i carry chalk to grind up and throw in enemy faces in battle even if there are no rules for it.

when it happens someone has to make a rule for it otherwise it has become some lame ass board game with finite choices based on some arbitrary list of acceptable actions (like 3.x) and i stop playing then and there. if the DM cannot respond to such things not covered in DA RULES, then they probably arent ready to DM yet.

other things would be pepper (see chalk), paper used as fake map, fake texts, etc (enemies may be Greyhawking you afterall), dung candles... anything that can create a diversion.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

If the party's treasure distribution system is "don't worry, we'll distribute treasure to people who can use it", my PC will try to grab (and sell) every piece of garbage magic item available because otherwise he'll end up with nothing.