So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

There's Slayers, which is a Heroic Fantasy parody. Many seasons, dubbed. Can't speak for the quality of the dub, since I watched it with subtitles, but Funimation is usually pretty good with dubs.

Unfortunately, I think it's only available free on Hulu, and well, Hulu ads. It's on Funimation's site but only as an embed from Hulu.
Last edited by name_here on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Yeah, Slayers is the anime that plays the sword and sorcery tropes most straightfoward. The dub is alright, except for that bit in Slayers Next when they try to sing. You'll know it when you hear it.

I'll put a word in for Scrapped Princess. It is the story of a brother (a swordsman) and a sister (a magician) protecting their adopted little sister from just about everybody. There was a prophesy that she will destroy the world when she turns 16 you see, and most people aren't willing to take that sort of chance. It has sword and sorcery goodness and a great dub, but never gets enough love. As far as I know the DVDs are out of print and nobody is offering it for streaming. Bandai's license expired in 2011. I would pirate it without guilt.

Pretty much all of the "people get stuck in an MMO" series are sword and sorcery affairs. Sword Art Online is the popular flavor of the last few years. I know the first season is dubbed, but I've never listened to it and I can't access Crunchyroll right now to see if they have it. I personally rate Log Horizon above Sword Art Online, but it is more focused on the MMO aspects than the fantasy, and I don't know if it has been dubbed yet.

Fullmetal Alchemist (original or Brotherhood) is basically a sorcery-focused dark fantasy where casters are all transmuters rather than evokers. It's early-mid 20th century tech level rather than medieval though. Excellent dub.

I'll also mention Mushishi, even though it is fantasy mystery or fantasy horror rather than a hero fantasy. A wandering mystical doctor named Ginko travels around medieval Japan and solves troubles that pop up due to the interaction between people and mushi, which are spiritual creatures that can cause all sorts of interesting or unpleasant things to occur. It's really gorgeous. The first series at least is dubbed.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, Mushishi isn't exactly what you're asking for, but my Anime club has offically declared it the classiest of animes. You should watch it.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

While waiting for responses I started watching Legend of the Legendary Heroes. Dumb name, not a bad anime.

edited for clarity
Last edited by Prak on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, I've seen part of that. Was pretty good.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The early face-fault-heaviness of it was a bit off-putting, but it got better. I really don't get why anime so frequently makes heavy use of facefaults and the like.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Prak wrote:Ok, so I'm wondering if people can recommend an anime to me- I'm looking for good sword and sorcery type stuff I can watch while I work on Midgard, so basically, I want something Sword and Sorcery/Heroic Fantasy, that's been dubbed*, and I can find online to watch free.

*I prefer subs, but it's hard to work and read subs at the same time
I tried the Fantasy tag on a wiki.

http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title ... m_Earthsea
http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Katanagatari
http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title ... o_Moribito
http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title ... e_Kingdoms
http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title ... Escaflowne
http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title ... d_Princess
http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title ... 7s_Journey
http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Fairy_Tail
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Vision of Escaflowne was the first anime I ever really bought. Watched the sub-titled boxed set on boxing day in 2000 or 2001. Cost me $200 at the time.

Escaflowne has cool giant robots, lots of fight scenes, along with all the drama you can expect from a shoujo. Definitely recommend.

I also recommend the mecha anime "Dai Guard". Years ago a giant monster was ravaging Japan, and a giant robot called Dai Guard was built to fight it. Unfortunately, the monster got killed by a totallynotanuke and the robot was sold to a security company and used as a advertising gimmick ever since.

Of course, one day the heterodyne monsters came back and now the only thing that can stop them is Dai Guard, an ill-maintained robot with part-timer pilots and funded by a penny-pinching bureaucratic hellhole of a company. Office workers, saving the world.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

While Slayers is basically "this is what D&D ends up like", Record of Lodoss War is actually based on a D&D (or D&D-like) campaign.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

If you're looking for Western sword and sorcery, Record of Lodoss War and Morbito are your best bets. Twelve Kingdoms is probably what you're looking for, too. If you can find it, Rune Soldier Louie is a lighthearted sister series to Lodoss. Log Horizon is Logistics and Dragons, MMO style. Slayers is a classic, but Gourry (the fighter dude) doesn't get nice things. Fairy Tali is probably too anime for what you're aiming for with Midgard. Kino's Journey and FMA are too modern for Tolkien nuthugging.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I watched the first season of Knights of Sidonia a couple of days ago.

It tricks you into thinking it's going to be about kids piloting space mecha; then you realize that the author of the manga also wrote the nihilist dyson sphere epic "Blame!"; and you realize that the series is going to have some undercurrents of darkness and intrigue.

Also, a fair amount of hard science.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

What about Berserk?
A bit heavy maybe.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Bererk is seinin(sp?); the manga is so much deeper and darker than the where the anime leaves off. Yes, Griffith had become a demon-prince; but his army of giant demon knights are fighting an invasion from a giant Persian imperial army.

I've also read Knights of Sidonia in order to get a better feel for how the anime is differing, and conforming, with the manga. I'm not sure which is better; because the subtlest aspect (who/where/what is Ochiai?) changes quickly; and is different in both serials.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, I'm not looking for source material so much as just things I can watch while working that are generally thematic.

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Today on Fate/Stay Night Rin takes her girlfriend and Shirou out on a date.

I think my favorite part of the date scene was that in every stage of the montage Saber was eating something, and then Rin and Shirou were getting into one of their argument/flirting things while Saber ate all of the sandwiches. And it went entirely without comment.

We also got to see Kotomine break out the Black Keys.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Shirou/Rin/Saber diaily interactions are adorable.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

name_here wrote:Today on Fate/Stay Night Rin takes her girlfriend and Shirou out on a date.

I think my favorite part of the date scene was that in every stage of the montage Saber was eating something, and then Rin and Shirou were getting into one of their argument/flirting things while Saber ate all of the sandwiches. And it went entirely without comment.

We also got to see Kotomine break out the Black Keys.
I noticed that too. I thought it was a cute little aside. I just wish that Shirou wasn't so dim. It got almost frustrating to watch.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

The protagonist in an eroge, unless it's just straight about sex, is generally clueless about these kinds of things. Shirou also thinks Rin is way out of his league (and has other issues, but that'd be a spoiler), so his actions are understandable.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

The Slayers anime is fucking amazing. But the dub is absolute shit. Anyone who watches the dub for Slayers is a loser. DO NOT WATCH SLAYERS DUBBED.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Puella Magi Madoka Magicka is a favorite. Just rewatched it recently.

I've been enjoying Maoyu, Bryhildr in the Darkness, Yona of the Dawn and Rage of Bahamut.

On my list of anime to watch are: Steins Gate, Fate/Stay Night (2015), Chaika the Coffin Princess, Magi and Shin Sekai Yori.

And I just had a fangasm because I just found out that:

1 - Durara season 2 starts streaming next week.
2 - Heroic Legend of Arislan is getting a tv series in the spring. No Yoshitaki Amano designs this time around (boo!), this time the character designs are by Hiromu Arakawa (yay!).

Edit: Oh yeah...and Sword Art Online
Last edited by Hiram McDaniels on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Just say no to Coffin Princess and Magi. Don't have too many opinions on the rest, but those are both garbage.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Watch Coffin Princess. Both seasons.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Yes. Be fucking upset about the derailed train wreck ending of Chaika, but watch it.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Kaelik wrote:Just say no to Coffin Princess and Magi. Don't have too many opinions on the rest, but those are both garbage.
Okay. Are there any series that you can recommend?
Mask_De_H wrote: Log Horizon is Logistics and Dragons, MMO style.
Maoyu is like that, but without the mmo plot devices.

The anime starts where most jrpg's end, and then goes full-on L&D.

To quote my fiancee: "Why the fuck is that anime guy talking about manipulating wheat futures???"
Last edited by Hiram McDaniels on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Prak wrote:Ok, so I'm wondering if people can recommend an anime to me- I'm looking for good sword and sorcery type stuff I can watch while I work on Midgard, so basically, I want something Sword and Sorcery/Heroic Fantasy, that's been dubbed*, and I can find online to watch free.

*I prefer subs, but it's hard to work and read subs at the same time
Heroic Legend of Arislan. It's a bit dated, and is unfinished, but still a pretty good'n and the dub is decent.