Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

It's not Ageo of Sigmar actually. It's the end times of Warhammer Fantasy.
It's decent. Only three levels out of 12 in beta, but it's not a bad horde-mode game. Like Left4Dead, but with melee focus. I hope they'll release more classes though.

Vermintide nicely demonstrates the problem with Warhammer Fantasy RPG. The party from Vermintide would be end-game characters in WFRP.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Yes it is the end times of Warhammer Fantasy, but Age of Sigmar is specifically what happens after the ratmen and chaos demons destroy everything. So you're essentially playing the lead up to Age of Sigmar, thus my calling it a tie in.
Last edited by darkmaster on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I've been playing the pre-order beta for the last several days and I've been enjoying it, so I'll give you a brief rundown on the mechanics of the game itself.

It's pretty similar to left for dead in both presentation and the core mechanics (outlines on other players, health kits, healing potions, bombs, etc) but has more variety in weapons. Each of the 5 characters has around 4 or 5 weapon types for their main weapon category (ranged/melee) and a few for their secondary, with variants of those types in the form of rarer items with marginally better stats and unlockable minor bonuses. The bonuses on the items are often proc based (12% chance to fire two arrows at once, 5% chance to recover 5 health on a normal hit, etc). At the end of a successful match you get to roll dice, and for each success you are rewarded a better item. The base die has a low success rate, but you can complete optional objectives to receive bonus dice, or to replace one of the dice with a better one with more success chances. Cursed dice grant you an additional die and you just find them in chests and shit, carrying a tome to the end of a level improves a die but occupies your health item slot while holding it (meaning you can heal up when you find items, but not save health items for later), and grimoires decrease everyones maximum health by 25% (you can drop them, but not pick them back up). In the levels that are out, the maximum is 2 cursed dice, 3 tomes, and 2 grimoires (in one level, other levels have less of a type, or even none. this is fixed on a per level basis). There's a (very) light crafting system where you can trade up items of a given tier for better items, or salvage them for materials to spend on unlocks.

The matchmaking is acceptable, but not amazing. The lobby system where you get to walk around in a tiny tavern is slightly more amusing than sitting in a menu with a chatbox. The game runs well on my mid range PC (R9 270x) unless I put it in borderless fullscreen, then it drops to 20 fps for some reason.

As for how I feel about my time spent with it, I've got 17 hours in so far and I'm still enjoying it, even though there's only 4 levels out right now out of the 13 it's supposed to launch with. I enjoy the light loot system enough for it to give me that slight urge to play it, but its not intrusive enough to get in the way of the actual gameplay since it all occurs between matches. For $30 it ain't bad, as long as you like co-op games in the style of Left 4 Dead.
Last edited by Sigil on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Didn't the game just come out today? So it has all the levels right?
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

It's about 45 minutes after mIdnight where I am, and I have no idea when the full game goes live but it should be sometime today. It was still on the beta about an hour ago when I played.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Alright, sounds solid then. I'm glad, this may well be the Warhammer Fantasy world's last hurrah. Little sad when you think about it. Well, I'll ask around see if any of the usual suspects are going to pick it up, if they are, I'll give it a go.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'm pretty sure Total Warhammer will be the last hurrah.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Total Warhammer could be good, hell it could even be great and renew GWs faith in the WHFB setting. But the problem is, the only total war game that has consistently pleased is shogun. I hope Total Warhammer will be good, and I'll give it a shot but my optimism is cautious to say the least.
Kaelik wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i think i read about a chaos dlc for total warhammer somewhere already.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:i think i read about a chaos dlc for total warhammer somewhere already.
It's currently part of the pre-order.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Mario Maker is fun
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Do you just spell out rude words/draw cocks with groups of coins?

(I only ask this because that's what I'd probably end up doing, not as some sleight against your ability or taste.)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

I think the levels are fairly heavily moderated.
Kaelik wrote:

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Apparently, there was a Famicom game called Battle Storm that allow you to play as Stallone, Norris, Bruce Lee, Schwarzenegger, and Eddie Murphy. It has now been translated into English.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2497/
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Koumei wrote:Do you just spell out rude words/draw cocks with groups of coins?

(I only ask this because that's what I'd probably end up doing, not as some sleight against your ability or taste.)
Like a dozen other people, I am trying to create Dark Souls's Undead Asylum in a manner that captures the look and feel of the stage while still being a fun Mario level.
K
King

Post by K »

Is it just me, or is Pillars of Eternity just a little boring?

And why are all the playable party members in the beginning all dudes? It wasn't until I got a 6th member that it stopped being a sausage party party.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I went back to Phantom Pain for a bit, because I a lot of the game isn't that shit, and I just wanted to engage in some nice stealth action. Now, I absolutely fucking hate that it makes you pay resources every single time you start any kind of mission. But whatever, I had fuck tons of GMP, so I should be fine right?

Except that, even though I never even got as far as the FOB part of the game, so there is no way for anyone to steal from me, I was forced by the most recent update to log in online, and then after restarting in offline mode, I discovered that as some part of their recent updates, the deleted all GMP or something, because I now have 1000gmp instead of 50000gmp. So...

I uninstalled and will never play again, because apparently their plan was to break my spirit by denying me the use of my sniper rifle with their updates.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I just opened MGS to check (it's been awhile since I played), and all of my GMP is still there. And I can tell you straight off that I've been cheating GMP and resources like a motherfucker because fuck their stupid grinds do they think they're running a freemium MMORPG or a god damn single player stealth game? (Spoiler: they think they're running a freemium MMORPG, what the actual fuck).

I have no idea if their new "anti-cheat" measures will stop me if and when I start playing again. I have zero interest in the online portion, so they can go fuck themself if they think it's really any of their business. But I strongly suggest just using something like cheat engine and stabbing the grind in its face until it is dead.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

DSMatticus wrote:I just opened MGS to check (it's been awhile since I played), and all of my GMP is still there. And I can tell you straight off that I've been cheating GMP and resources like a motherfucker because fuck their stupid grinds do they think they're running a freemium MMORPG or a god damn single player stealth game? (Spoiler: they think they're running a freemium MMORPG, what the actual fuck).

I have no idea if their new "anti-cheat" measures will stop me if and when I start playing again. I have zero interest in the online portion, so they can go fuck themself if they think it's really any of their business. But I strongly suggest just using something like cheat engine and stabbing the grind in its face until it is dead.
Yeah I mean, I might, if I hadn't just uninstalled it. I seriously went from piles of GMP out the ass to literally not enough to start a mission with a silenced tranc rifle. So I just said fuck this shit, I still own hitman blood money and splintercell choas theory and Styx Master of Shadows.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

K wrote:Is it just me, or is Pillars of Eternity just a little boring?

And why are all the playable party members in the beginning all dudes? It wasn't until I got a 6th member that it stopped being a sausage party party.
Nah, it's not just you. There's a lot of puzzling decisions that end up making PoE a drag even if you've made peace with the plot stuff. For example, I didn't really give a shit about using stealth to ambush my enemies but still suffered through the reduced movement speed because they made searching and sneaking the same damn thing for some dumb ass reason. It would have made me super duper pissy if it weren't for the otherwise largely unnecessary speed toggles.

Crazy thing about the sausage party bit is that they still had hosers on the forums bitching about too much wimmins and diversity.
bears fall, everyone dies
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I am enjoying Afterbirth, the new Binding of Isaac DLC. I haven't checked compatibility with previous mods/using previous saves, and so am unlocking things anew. I'm currently trying the new challenges, and will then mess with the new character, Lilith.
The new room and floor types are a much needed addition, and the expanded soundtrack hasn't yet forced me to patch in the original, as was the case with Rebirth. The new HUD is mainly just an item tracker. The added voiceovers on item use is a nice touch.

I'll probably just edit this post once I've unlocked some more things, so as to avoid gushing.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:I am enjoying Afterbirth, the new Binding of Isaac DLC. I haven't checked compatibility with previous mods/using previous saves, and so am unlocking things anew. I'm currently trying the new challenges, and will then mess with the new character, Lilith.
The new room and floor types are a much needed addition, and the expanded soundtrack hasn't yet forced me to patch in the original, as was the case with Rebirth. The new HUD is mainly just an item tracker. The added voiceovers on item use is a nice touch.

I'll probably just edit this post once I've unlocked some more things, so as to avoid gushing.
Greed mode is pretty fun. I should probably start doing the challenges at some point. The fact that the original Rebirth music still plays means that the music is still turned off, though.
Last edited by Blicero on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

So, since Totalbiscuit has gone into Hiatus for the time being, anybody know comparable people on youtube doing game (pre)views?
Anno2205 and Fallout4 are coming out this week and next week, so i am kinda looking for something at that level of quality/integrity . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
K
King

Post by K »

Whipstitch wrote:
K wrote:Is it just me, or is Pillars of Eternity just a little boring?

Nah, it's not just you. There's a lot of puzzling decisions that end up making PoE a drag even if you've made peace with the plot stuff. For example, I didn't really give a shit about using stealth to ambush my enemies but still suffered through the reduced movement speed because they made searching and sneaking the same damn thing for some dumb ass reason. It would have made me super duper pissy if it weren't for the otherwise largely unnecessary speed toggles.

Crazy thing about the sausage party bit is that they still had hosers on the forums bitching about too much wimmins and diversity.
Well, it's good to know that I'm not alone. The way people were wanking over this game when it was released, I though it was gong to be the Second Coming or something.

That it turned out to be a pale clone of Baldur's Gate and less interesting on every metric (story, setting, combat, characters, stealth, treasure, abilities) is just disappointing.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I mean, I'm not super duper down on PoE, but I will say the fact that I can't be bothered to replay it is pretty damning given my typical RPG habits--I mean, ffs, I played the everlovin' shit out of BG1&2. More than anything I feel like Kaelik was on point when he said that the game suffers from some 4e syndrome when it comes to the power sets. They have such a narrow idea of what makes an appropriate power that you can bet that anything potentially interesting was pre-emptively slapped around with the nerf bat.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies