YOU are in charge of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 3e...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

PhoneLobster wrote: I don't believe your claim that you don't care if your fucking manticore or your fucking baslisk or your fucking castle or your entire fucking magic library just doesn't ever fucking DO anything.
Do you not believe my claim that I don't care if my decision to have my character wear a blue cape doesn't ever fucking DO anything? Do you not believe my claim that my decision to have my character talk in an outrageous French accent doesn't ever fucking DO anything?

Things don't have to gives bonuses to one specific minigame to be worth pursuing. Somethings the thing in itself is the goal rather than a tool to get towards the goal.

Because the kingdom management portions of the game have historically not worked well, people have presented getting the kingdom as a win condition. You get crowned king, and then you stop playing. Which is fine. There are stories that end at that point. Lots of them in fact. But sometimes players would like to have goals past simply becoming king. Like, expanding their kingdom. Or ending serfdom. Or securing the borders with the ogre kingdoms. Or whatever. And that's fine too. Or at least it would be fine, if hypothetically the rules for building an aqueduct, pushing a political decree, or fighting a war actually existed.

-Username17
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Why do you insist on conflating "do something" with "be part of combat"? Combat is not the end goal here! A fucking good game will not make swording the only part of the game where numbers matter, so it won't be the only part of the game where having numbers matters, so (GOSH) "doing things" might not mean going into caves and killing shit! Ideally, there'd be a lot of cases where it DIDN'T mean that.

Fuck, do you think that manticore stables stop being cool once manticores are too low-level to be combat mounts? That manticore stables aren't cool for characters that don't have the appropriate mounted feats to something whatever? Maybe I ride a manticore (though why that necessitates manticore stables is beyond me). Maybe my messengers ride manticores, and it doesn't give them bonus stats, but they don't fuckin need livery because nobody else's messengers ride manticores and, wow, that doesn't improve my combat at all and it's still badass. Maybe the manticores are to impress my guests, or expensive presents to up-and-coming adventurers, or are a side business left over from back when I cared about riding manticores myself and I'm still a little sentimental. Maybe they're a fucking hobby.

In a game where I'm crafting everything for the whole party, and thus gotta juggle a lot of money for materials, I kept a ton of cool books instead of selling them, because I want a cool library.
In a game where we're never gonna go past level 8, and so wealth is gonna pretty much just increase linearly from that point, I'm dumpster-diving for a way to get a flying castle, where I do not want to fight, because what if they mess up my fancy library?? Where will I relax?? What's the fucking point of playing someone who can stab a monster real good if you can't also play someone who can sit down in their cozy library in their flying castle and magic down a book and just read it for several hours? Maybe even, blasphemy, a book that doesn't give stat bonuses!
In a game where I need to keep UMD maxed and I gotta take a bunch of craft and knowledge skills, I'm dropping the occasional rank into Perform(Handpan) - a skill I know will never get rolled because why would it?
I have a poor family that I just dump money on sometimes because my whole motivation for adventuring is to support them. I have a mule named Linda that I care about and take care of. I have a sister named Aria who works at a baker's shop and has a crush and whose age changed from 29 to 30 when we had a year timeskip. And I don't want any of those to give me combat boosts! I think it would be idiotic for any of those to give me combat boosts! Fuck that! But I sure would like, for instance, usable rules on how much money I need to save up to buy my family a house rather than the apartment they're renting and currently cramped in, and I'd like for it to be acknowledged that sometimes people are gonna do that sort of thing such that I'm not falling behind on the sword number treadmill if I don't spend all my numbers on swording.

And yes, I'm literally in this thread arguing that a good game would have meaningful mechanics for this shit. And I want that so that I'm not just doing it despite the fact that it takes away from the only minigame with rules (combat), but at no point is the answer to that to make my books and my castle and my fucking perform ranks and my goddamn sister's fucking desire to breed tulips into boosts to combat. That's stupid. The point is that there are things I care about that aren't combat and it'd be nice for those to be supported too.

Honestly, there's no point in me saying any of this. Partially because you refuse to acknowledge or understand any of it, but partially because I'm just continually restating, in personal experience, something from back at the start of this discussion:
FrankTrollman wrote:If your premise is that the goal of the game is to fight monsters in a damp basement, then everything you do above ground is just hoops you have to jump through to climb back into the hole. But that's a little bit insane. More than a little bit insane.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Momo let me make this simple for you:

Step 1) Read Phone Lobster's Moustrap.
Step 2) Realize that anything that deviates from that in any way is objectively bad for the you personally, your group, TGD, the hobby, and the Universe.

Alternative Step 1) Phone Lobster is Phone Lobster.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I think the fundamental flaw in Phonelobster's logic re:decorative Book is that he's assuming "perfect players" who will only focus on the mechanics of the game that further the mechanical goals of the gameplay best.

When really... that doesn't always prove to be the case.

Really, Momothefiddler is displaying a pretty standard player tendency to not always go for the most powerful they can; because they're there to improve the fundamental result of co-operative storytelling games: telling a badass story.

The story where you filled your library shelves with the loot from monster & mage lairs that you face-stabbed is only slightly more interesting than the one where you "Greyhawked the Libraries" for a fat +5% bonus to your sword's To-Hit Armour Class 0. However if it's more enjoyable to the actual player to not do that; then not doing that is the story a player is not going to do that.

While simply being more well-rounded or minimaxed; will be one way for a player to directly affect the narrative; how they re-arrange the building blocks they receive as a prize should be up to the players.

Heck; I recall the first actual tabletop playing I did of D&D (about 10 years after being introduced to D&D as a free form cooperative narrative w/out nearby books, dice, table, minis or grid) involving my fighter taking trophies from everything they could. Even if it was totally stupid/insane (like skinning a lizardman priests hands b/c I wanted my fighter to have lizard skin gloves); and mechanical pointless, it fed into the actual goal of the game "tell story that's interesting enough you'd be able to later recount."

One thing that I have seen in at least one other TTRPG is that awards only happen if the players can brag about their success in a tavern, and tell the best story that night.

If it was more narrative in focus, and could handle such meta-narrative elements; I could see D&D being a "reverse" play game; where the PCs have survived an adventure; and are now going over their spoils & glory in a flashback of actual gameplay. Which isn't possible in D&D per se especially when the overall engine doesn't has ways to handle PCs who are killed in a story being around to narrate their own deaths afterwards.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

I'd prefer to design games for good players that bad players 'abuse' or whatever rather than design bad games for bad players that 'stop them abusing' the mechanics so bad GMs can feel happy they 'challenged the party' by throwing numbers against other numbers in a relatively pointless fashion.

For that same reason, I don't run DnD 4e.

Like what is the POINT of 'stopping' players from selling their kingdom for +1 to hit? At that point, you're not trying to play the same game as the other actual people sitting around your table. The correct action is to stand up, say 'good game, good game', walk off, and then be 'mysteriously busy with work' the next time they want to play. Or go through a frankly arduous process of working through whatever horrific assumptions and issues they have with collaborative storytelling to get to the point that you can actually game with them without literally fighting them for the narrative reins.

Basically, although I doubt it's actually relevant given the level of frothing on display, PL, your worldview is incompatible with observed reality. People clearly like things you don't! Everyone else in the entire world discovered this amazing factoid when they were five or so years old.
Nobody wants to read about the problems of financing, arming and feeding those armies (even most people reading about real history don’t), much less play through those problems.
I do. So would other people, if it was in a form that wasn't [NERDS ARGUING ABOUT DISPROVED FAKE MATH OF HISTORICAL LOGISTICS]. I know this because a guy on /tg/ wrote up a very simple form that managed to hit the edge of that envelope and it spawned dozens (hundreds?) of games there and even spread to other forums. I've actually run it in real life and my players who don't like that sort of thing liked it.

Further proof is the players who despite the horrific mess of [ARGUING NERDS] that any subsystem or system for that generally is, will still try to interact with it, and have, throughout the history of TTRPGS, to the point that 'become king' is a ttrpg trope.
Last edited by Rejakor on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

FatR wrote:words
Your examples here are:

-A Song of Ice and Fire which, if anyone is paying attention, is actually quite allergic to depictions of actual onscreen violence, but revels in forming battle plans. A game based on ASoIaF would absolutely need a mass battle minigame because we see people playing it all the damn time. They make strategies. They form plans. Then the details get glossed over, because that is how GRRM do. He depicts the aftermath of horrific violence, not the violence itself.

-A series of books that are recognizable solely because they have a video game based off of them. I can't even tell if you're cherry-picking the way you were with ASoIaF but it doesn't even matter, because the Witcher games are significant source material, but that doesn't make the Witcher books significant source material.

Meanwhile:

-Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia, two of the four original major sources of D&D, can barely get a single book by without having a massive battle - and the narrative details the battle plan or flow for most of them, even if it also depicts personal scale combat (which, yes, should also be a part of mass battles).

-Conan the Barbarian and King Arthur, the other major sources of D&D, have their protagonists as kings for significant chunks of their plot, not just ascending to the throne right before the final battle without any time to actually use the crown at all, and players who are kings will want to be able to do kingly things and not just MTP it all. For the matter, Chronicles of Narnia has characters act as kings/queens for decades, and while that is mostly offpage, people may still want to play through that section. Playing through sections of the story the source material skips is actually one of the reasons people play RPGs at all.

-The primary influence on D&D throughout its 3e years is the Lord of the Rings movies (see Lord of the Rings, above) and WarCraft. An RTS series. In which the entire game is about commanding armies. The WoW was released in 2004 and was not a significant influence until around 2006, so most of its impact was on 4e, but the RTS' were a big deal to fantasy fiction throughout the 2000s.

-On the subject of video games, while Crusader Kings 2 isn't the kind of major source material we've been discussing so far, it's sure as Hell more important than the Witcher books.

So characters tend to do their planning before the battle starts, and then during the battle they mostly sword dudes. How the Hell did you get from that to the conclusion that a minigame for planning or directing fights is unnecessary? It still happens, just at a slightly different time from your traditional wargame, and you know what, if making the mass combat minigame fun requires having the characters make decisions in real time instead of in advance, that is not actually a big deal. It would also not be a big deal if the players' meaningful inputs into mass combat happened primarily before the battle, and then during the battle they mostly just fought guys to give morale boosts or whatever, provided that their decisions before the battle have clear impacts on how the battle goes (I suspect this would be harder to design and there's not a tremendous amount of benefit from emulating the source material very slightly more accurately, but you could probably do it).

I am genuinely uncertain as to how you could possibly have arrived at the conclusion you have.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Chamomile wrote: Your examples here are:

-A Song of Ice and Fire which, if anyone is paying attention, is actually quite allergic to depictions of actual onscreen violence, but revels in forming battle plans.
Stop. You're talking out of your ass. The first book alone has at least seven cases of gratuitous armed violence, and TV series, IIRC, only added at least one more fight while subtracting none. But as about battles, one we (not really) see from a viewpoint of a non-combatant onlooker, the other we see through eyes of a person who does nothing but personal combat, and for all the rest we only are shown or told about aftermath. Only once any sort of plan is at all mentioned before resolution of the battle, and the time given to that is 1/10th of the time given for diplomacy needed for that plan's success. Forming of battle plans is not narratively important, and not interesting, and their execution pretty much boils down to personal combat. At no point a character actually interacts with the battlefield as a commander - as opposed to a leader doing personal skirmishing ahead of his troops - past the moment the fighting starts (you do remember that conflict resolution is supposed to feature interactivity?), and this also goes for LotR, and Chronicles of Narnia, and so on. There is simply next to no inspiration for mass combat minigame there. Certainly, there are big bunches of dudes fighting each other, and sometimes, in movies at least, those dudes form pretty formations, but PC characters do not overview the battlefield deciding how to move these formations, beyond "follow me, guys!" They are down there chopping up bad guys. Even in adventures of Conan, which revel in epic army clashes, three out of four big battles featured in Howard's original stories are sideshows to foiling the evil wizard leading Conan's current enemies. Accidentally, while Conan is supposed to give some good input on his armies' pre-battle positioning, he also spends actual battles in the thick of melee, chopping up enemy grunts.
Chamomile wrote: It would also not be a big deal if the players' meaningful inputs into mass combat happened primarily before the battle, and then during the battle they mostly just fought guys to give morale boosts or whatever, provided that their decisions before the battle have clear impacts on how the battle goes (I suspect this would be harder to design and there's not a tremendous amount of benefit from emulating the source material very slightly more accurately, but you could probably do it)..
Again, a game, even a minigame is supposed to be interactive. (The real battles were and are interactive too, you know.) And making actual meat and potatoes of PC actions, something that is often depicted in considerable detail, i.e. chopping up guys in the middle of melee, subordinate, to something that is just skimmed or depicted cursorily, i.e. battle planning, is just... strange.

And as far as I can see you've just ignored the fact that none of anything you mentioned gives us enough material to tell a good general from a mediocre one, much less to build two different good generals. If you plan a mass combat minigame for DnD, which better should have stats and abilities that help with commanding (else it would be just a tool for fucking over PCs by forcing them into a subsystem where their character abilities don't matter or matter much less, like existing mass combat systems for DnD already are), that's a problem.
Last edited by FatR on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Judging__Eagle wrote:I think the fundamental flaw in Phonelobster's logic re:decorative Book
Except his argument only became about "single decorative book" AFTER he presented "Basilisk, Manticores, Castle, Royal Diplomacy, Entire magical library".

It's a dishonest post facto fall back position and laughable edge case trying to justify Basilisks that don't do anything and if you fall for it you're an ass, and if you accept it as a broadly enough valid argument to apply to manticores and castles you accept an a argument against all rules and against all actual function in an RPG.

You can either accept that manticores and castles are CLEARLY (for fucks sake) better in your game when they actually DO something relevant to your game. OR you can set your standards based on five second throw away mentions of a single book (which actually WOULD be cooler if it DID SOMETHING) and no longer really have a reason to have the fucking game rules period.

The Den really was once better than accepting broad "rules don't matter" arguments based on narrow edge case lies.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

I'm pretty sure that Basilisks are in the Monsterous Manual. They actually do things.

You can get away with having Basilisks that don't do anything except by Basilisks. But since "being a basilisk" means turning one guy to stone every round just by looking at them, that's pretty good.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

At this point I've lost track of what the hell you are all arguing about. Carry on as usual.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

FatR wrote:The first book alone has at least seven cases of gratuitous armed violence,
List them. Let's see just how much of a skirmish game these depictions of gratuitous armed violence make.

You also go off about how the planning happens before the battle and not during it, to which my only response is to reread my previous post, this time more carefully, because I have already addressed that.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Clearly you are both wrong and D&D should be about having a harem of woman that consists of a Tsundere with red or pink hair, a loli, a big breasted older sister personality, a childhood friend, and something else.

Since harem anime have those, and therefore they belong in D&D.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Kaelik wrote:Clearly you are both wrong and D&D should be about having a harem of woman that consists of a Tsundere with red or pink hair, a loli, a big breasted older sister personality, a childhood friend, and something else.

Koumei already did something like that
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

So I'm not really sure what people's positions are on the manticore messengers, but that's something I would expect to have some kind of effect like "my messengers go faster than guys who are walking."

We tried having stuff like "say your guy is actually a skeleton even though he acts nothing like a skeleton and has none of the immunities other skeletons have" or "this zombie has super strength but can't punch people" and it was one of the great failures of 4th edition. Don't be like 4th edition. I can see having a decorative book collection or a solid gold throne or whatever as "stuff you have" that does nothing, but if you take an effect that people expect to have some kind of effect (faster manticore messengers) suspension of disbelief goes right out the window.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

hyzmarca wrote:I'm pretty sure that Basilisks are in the Monsterous Manual. They actually do things.
Except that is largely irrelevant to Momo's claims which very specifically are that he totally doesn't need or want basilisks to do that. He just thinks having basilisks is cool even if they don't ever and can't ever be relevant to combat.

(And yes VERY CLEARLY he started his current position on it being entirely OK for his basilisk to specifically be IRRELEVANT TO COMBAT ENCOUNTERS)
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

There's an inherent trade-off with character aspects being pure flavor vs mechanics - when they become mechanically meaningful, you're no longer free to select any flavor you want.

For example, feats are mechanically meaningful. And so if I pick Two-Weapon Fighting for a summoning-based Wizard, I will have a weaker character. If I wanted that feat for flavor purposes, I have to take a penalty for doing so.

On the other hand, if I have said Wizard wear red robes and a red fez with an "blazing eyeball" sigil on it, that's not mechanically meaningful, and so there's no penalty for doing so. If it was mechanically meaningful, then maybe those robes are a crap choice for a summoner, and I should wear blue robes with astrological sigils and a plain skullcap instead. Personally speaking, that's a step too far, I'd rather be able to wear what I want.

So it's a trade off - maybe having faster messengers as a result of the stables would be cool, but on the other hand maybe the PCs' kingdom doesn't really benefit from messenger speed and so the stables are a waste - they should have built Gnome Mines instead.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Kaelik wrote:Clearly you are both wrong and D&D should be about having a harem of woman that consists of a Tsundere with red or pink hair, a loli, a big breasted older sister personality, a childhood friend, and something else.

That's my college LARP group.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Ice9 wrote:So it's a trade off
No, actually, it isn't you are a complaining that sometimes some rules are better than others.

That is not an argument against having rules for things that are supposed to matter.

That is an argument that you should try to write more consistent less bad rules.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

hyzmarca wrote:

That's my college LARP group.
Every larp with good gender parity is going to have all sorts of characters one might identify in a harem series; because it's just about certain thematic types of people. The willful sorcerer, the child, the mother, the lover, the [Setting Themes: dragons, mi go, robota, vampires, etc.].
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Chamomile wrote:
FatR wrote:The first book alone has at least seven cases of gratuitous armed violence,
List them.
-Theon and Robb vs. Wildings.*
-Clegane brothers at the tournament.
-Tyrion and the party that captured him vs. mountain bandits.*
-Jaime and his men vs. Ned and his men (vastly expanded in the TV series)
-Bronn vs. Lisa's champion.*
-The throne room slaughter.
-Syrio Forel vs. Lannister soldiers.*
-Drogo vs. however the fuck the dude who insulted him was called in the TV series (added)*
-Tyrion in battle (removed from the TV series, forgot about that).*
-Jorah and Deny's blood riders vs. Drogo's blood riders.*

Marked by * are cases of certain or almost certain gameover for PoV(s) involved, in case if his or his defender(s)' fighting skill happens to be insufficient.

Now, can you name as many on-page/screen battles in all books and seasons with the similar requirement for skill in tactics and troop command?

Better yet, can you name a book series, fantasy, sci-fi, anything (but better in fantasy, of course), where the protagonist(s) troop commanding and tactical skills are actually a central part of the plot, and which is not an insufferable fucking wankfest? Anything that might actually inspire people to want actual fucking army commanding, instead of battles as backdrops for personal heroics and chances to feel cool by chopping up dozens and then thousands of guys? Because for now I feel that if a "mass combat" subsystem is actually needed in DnD, it should boil down to a very simple tactical riddle/social check before a battle, to give PCs a bonus on chopping up guys, and the rest should be handled by whatever arrangement you have in place to make chopping through a lot of guys not boring.
Last edited by FatR on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hey guys. I read a book about how to do Calculus problems once, so that must belong in D&D too right?

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

FatR wrote:
Chamomile wrote:
List them.
-Theon and Robb vs. Wildings.*
I literally cannot even remember this happening. That does not bode well for the amount of pagespace it took up.
-Clegane brothers at the tournament.
The entire tournament takes up the space of three chapters, approximately 5% of the book, and very little of it is this combat.
-Tyrion and the party that captured him vs. mountain bandits.*
Over in less than a page.
-Jaime and his men vs. Ned and his men (vastly expanded in the TV series)
"Vastly expanded" is an understatement. This was over in less than a page.
-Bronn vs. Lisa's champion.*
Takes up less than a chapter.
-The throne room slaughter.
We see less than ten seconds of the battle and then cut to aftermath.
-Syrio Forel vs. Lannister soldiers.*
Over in less than a page, and the conclusion of the battle is not depicted.
-Drogo vs. however the fuck the dude who insulted him was called in the TV series (added)*
The books and explicitly the books was the battleground you chose.
-Jorah and Deny's blood riders vs. Drogo's blood riders.*
Over in less than a chapter.

You have ten armed conflicts, including combats that took place between characters who are neither viewpoint characters nor allied to viewpoint characters and combats which we see only a tiny fraction of before skipping to the aftermath. You're happy to call Syrio Forel vs. Lannister men a complete skirmish even though it is both very brief and we don't see its conclusion, but Green Fork doesn't count as a mass battle because we only learn of its strategic significance after the fact.

Most of your examples take up the space of about a paragraph. Almost none of them take more than a page. Those that do take up significantly less than a full chapter. Game of Thrones has a page count just shy of 700. You're struggling to dig up seven pages of skirmish combat. It gets better, but not much better, in later books. Meanwhile once the war is on for real we not only get the occasional couple of paragraphs devoted to planning, but also the occasional complete chapter where Tyrion Lannister does nothing but plan the battle of King's Landing. The time Tyrion spends in melee at King's Landing is something like three or four pages. He spends that much time stockpiling alchemist's fire alone. If "time on page in A Song of Ice and Fire" is the measuring stick by which we decide the importance of minigames, you've made a more compelling argument for eliminating skirmish combat than mass combat, although both of them need to take a backseat to gratuitous sex scenes. Other examples of source material don't have that specific hangup, but you're still going to have combat of any kind being best depicted as one die roll per party member plus the enemy and then get back to the dialogue if you want anything like a book or movie experience.

Games have different needs from books, and both mass and tactical combat are going to be a significantly larger focus of your game than of your book. In a book, it doesn't matter where exactly Gandalf got his ten thousand Rohirrim reinforcements, but it also doesn't matter that Boromir, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are all armed with different weapons, all that matters is that they have some kind of weapon capable of killing orcs. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't have different damage dice for wielding an axe as opposed to a sword nor that we shouldn't have skirmish combat abstracted out to the point where ranged and melee attacks are identical.

Games need rules because players want to interact with the setting on a level more concrete than declaring intentions, rolling a die, and then getting an ultimate result. Players don't want mass combat abstracted away with a single die roll anymore than they want skirmish combat abstracted away with a single die roll. They don't just want the GM to say "okay, you're a king now, so do you want to do the fire dungeon or the ice dungeon next?" They want to actually do king stuff. So the system needs to have some kind of mechanics for doing king stuff so that the players can feel all kingly. If being king is just a title and you do not end the campaign immediately upon receiving it (thus leaving the details to player imaginations or a broad-strokes epilogue) then it's basically the same as being elected student president.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Chamomile wrote:Meanwhile once the war is on for real we not only get the occasional couple of paragraphs devoted to planning,
Very occasional, and actual battle following up is even rarer.
Chamomile wrote:but also the occasional complete chapter where Tyrion Lannister does nothing but plan the battle of King's Landing.
I don't thing that ever happened.
Chamomile wrote:The time Tyrion spends in melee at King's Landing is something like three or four pages. He spends that much time stockpiling alchemist's fire alone.
The melee has important consequences for him though (from wounding to increase of paranoia towards Cersei). Battle preparation, when he from time to time distracts himself from plotting against his sister to engage in it, well, doesn't, except insofar as disastrous course of battle forces him into melee - his battle plan ends up an utter failure, the city he expected to hold for a week or two is about to fall in a day, and he's bailed out off-page by a arrival of cavalry due to a common sense political decision and negotiating skill of his messenger. In short, even thoroughly failing as a commander does not produce a gameover for him. But being a little less of a fighter when he attempts to recover shambles of his battle plan in the same battle by personal fighting would have produced it.

But stop talking about only what you think strengthens your argument. I've asked you before, and I'll ask again:

-Can you provide an example on how a mediocre general can be different from a good general, and how two good generals can be different from each other based on any of the books you mentioned, so that we can actually talk about a DnD minigame, where characters have abilities and shit, instead of nailing a boardgame to DnD?
-Can you provide an example of a fiction book or book series, preferably fantasy, where army commanding skill of protagonist is a key plot aspect and which you consider good?
Chamomile wrote:Other examples of source material don't have that specific hangup, but you're still going to have combat of any kind being best depicted as one die roll per party member plus the enemy and then get back to the dialogue if you want anything like a book or movie experience.
I don't think you've even actually watched the movies you've mentioned (somewhat more true for their book inpsirations, but not for many other popular books).
Chamomile wrote:Games have different needs from books, and both mass and tactical combat are going to be a significantly larger focus of your game than of your book. In a book, it doesn't matter where exactly Gandalf got his ten thousand Rohirrim reinforcements, but it also doesn't matter that Boromir, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are all armed with different weapons, all that matters is that they have some kind of weapon capable of killing orcs. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't have different damage dice for wielding an axe as opposed to a sword nor that we shouldn't have skirmish combat abstracted out to the point where ranged and melee attacks are identical.
What does matter is that heroes solve plots by going around in small groups on quests, and when plot turns lead them into mass battles, the checkpoints they need to clear to win/survive the encounter are acts of personal heroics, like going on a sally against the enemy battering ram team or stabbing the Witch King. Or they have to first go on a quest and retrieve Heart of Ahriman for their battlefiled feats to not be undone by enemy sorcery. Or, if they leveled up enough on their quest, with their Jotuhn horse and the cursed sword they can hack through half the enemy army personally, take the head of the troll king and single-handedly turn a hopeless last stand into a smashing victory. Sometimes they need to be able to position their troop before a battle, or clear conditions ensuring that gates are open/enemy has uprising in their rear/their reinforcements are coming and enemy's are not to clear a plot checkpoint, but as about actually controlling troops on the battlefield, instead of hacking up guys in the thick of melee, that almost never happens, and I'm still waiting for examples of that actually happening in interesting fashion.

Are you really failing to notice how narratives of questing around in small groups and performing personal heroics are very compatible with a skirmish game, but not with a mass combat game?

Chamomile wrote:Games need rules because players want to interact with the setting on a level more concrete than declaring intentions, rolling a die, and then getting an ultimate result. Players don't want mass combat abstracted away with a single die roll anymore than they want skirmish combat abstracted away with a single die roll.
Players don't want mass combat at all. What makes you believe that the next attempt to force players into a separate minigame where their characters' abilities are suddenly devalued will be received any better than all the previous ones? Players, as far as I can tell from experience, want to be able to hack through an army's worth of guys with their high-level swording without that taking approximately forever to roll.
Chamomile wrote:They don't just want the GM to say "okay, you're a king now, so do you want to do the fire dungeon or the ice dungeon next?" They want to actually do king stuff.
This of course, as already mentioned in the thread, soon runs into the problem that king stuff is sort of smalltime for DnD power scale. If Kyuss or Demogorgon or Tiamat are coming with their hordes to annihilate your entire civilization, what does it matter if your peasants are well-fed?

More importantly, they probably don't actually want to do king stuff, because doing king stuff is 95% people management necessary to see anything done. Those nebulous "they" probably just want to get things done. I'd prefer a system that naturally allows you to progress from managing your party's camp followers to managing your kingdom's dukes, but so far I don't even have a rough sketch for it.
Chamomile wrote:So the system needs to have some kind of mechanics for doing king stuff so that the players can feel all kingly. If being king is just a title and you do not end the campaign immediately upon receiving it (thus leaving the details to player imaginations or a broad-strokes epilogue) then it's basically the same as being elected student president.
And here's the deal: if things you can get done by being a king (let's assume that the minigame in place skips all the boring realities) don't help you fight Kyuss, or Demogorgon, or Tiamat - in some direct or indirect way - then one of the following must be true:
(1)Being king IS "just a title". You're simply wearing a fancier hat, to borrow an image from upthread.
(2)You're now suddenly playing a completely different game only nominally connected to your DnD experience. If people at the table were interested in that, why haven't they played something else to start with?
Last edited by FatR on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

FatR, you are one of those people who annoys the shit out of me because they're a weaselly little bastard who couldn't stick to a single coherent thesis if they were nailed to it by their balls.

You and Chamomile are having an argument about whether or not the source material you might want to emulate in a fantasy TTRPG glosses over the details of individual combat. Chamomile made the claim that it does, and you decided to use ASoIaF as a counter-example. Chamomile pointed out that that was a weird choice, because ASoIaF spends at least as much if not more (spoiler: more) dedicated to characters planning major battles as it does individual combat. Which brings us to the problem(s) with your latest post:
FatR wrote:The melee has important consequences for him though (from wounding to increase of paranoia towards Cersei). Battle preparation, when he from time to time distracts himself from plotting against his sister to engage in it, well, doesn't, except insofar as disastrous course of battle forces him into melee
"The melee has important consequences" is not a meaningful statement in the context of this argument. Remember when Jaime Lannister is captured off camera, setting off a chain of events in which he loses his hand (and also creates a fuckton of problems in the Stark camp)? It's almost like "level of detail" and "significance to the story" are two totally different things, and you have no business toggling between them as you are.
FatR wrote:What does matter is that heroes solve plots by going around in small groups on quests, and when plot turns lead them into mass battles, the checkpoints they need to clear to win/survive the encounter are acts of personal heroics, like going on a sally against the enemy battering ram team or stabbing the Witch King.
Jaime Lannister is not captured as the result of being outfought. Indeed, I'm pretty sure there's a throwaway line about how many people he took down with him. He is captured as the result of being strategically outplayed by Robb Stark (which also happens off camera), and being put into a situation from which his personal badassery cannot possibly save him or his army.

And that's basically your contributions to this discussion. It's a whole lot of substitution no jutsu between different arguments, a whole lot of misrepresenting or misunderstanding the source material, and a whole lot of PL's "you shouldn't like the things I don't like" and/or "you shouldn't like the things D&D isn't already good at it DON'T TOUCH MY SACRED COW!" It's... annoying. All of those things are bad.

The fact is that if you want to use ASoIaF as a benchmark to measure the level of detail a TTRPG should use in its various subsystems, then a lot of combats - small or large - are going to be resolved off camera with a single die roll, and the most in-depth minigame is the one about fucking your sister without anyone finding out. It'd be a weird fucking TTRPG, even by White Wolf standards.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokey
Journeyman

Post by Lokey »

Forgot the battle for Riverrun in that book (or whatever the Tully's keep is called). And that even Cercei knew King's Landing wasn't defensible. So homework question: what's Tyrion's reason for bothering?

Besides, ASoFaI isn't about the battles. It's come up a few times that the only people who care about that stuff is the historians and if this battle or war didn't happen, another would.

You want the political intrigue or social interaction threads that usually result in a can't do it with mechanics because that misses that point conclusion.