The Gold Standard

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Cielingcat
Duke

The Gold Standard

Post by Cielingcat »

So the newest fad on a forum I visit is a crazy Objectivist posting about how the only way to save the economy is to remove taxes completely and return money to the gold standard. Besides the insanity of the no-tax thing, wouldn't a gold standard simply put a ceiling on the amount of money you could have in your economy and cause massive shifts in the value of money based on the value of gold?
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Does this person actually want to remove *all* taxes (including tariffs) or just the income tax? They're both pretty insane, but one is more insane than the other.

As for the gold standard: The traditional reason for loving the gold standard is the idea that it puts a ceiling on inflation because only so much gold gets mined per year. So basically, some people think limiting the amount of money in the economy is a good thing. Now, I'm not an expert on inernational financial institutions by any means; but I would think that in a global financial system where the U.S. is on the gold standard and everybody else isn't, there would be all sorts of potential for wild fluctuations. Then again, it's not like there aren't wild fluctuations in currency values now.

The most damning thing to be said about going back to the gold standard is that it would probably be a meaningless act. Since hyperinflation of the kind common in Third-World countries hasn't been a problem in the U.S. for decades, it's a solution in search of a problem.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

It would mean the US would be stuck to a tiny, tiny economy. By which I cannot make something that someone else values, and the country cannot tax it.

Of course, without taxes, you don't care what standard your economy is on, but you prefer something you personally can produce.

Since most of us cannot produce gold, we don't want that.

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The concept of the gold standard is rooted in the ideals of Mercantilism. The idea is that there is a fixed amount of wealth in the world and that one performs acts of trade with winners and losers - that things have a natural value and that you can gain wealth through trade only by extorting people to pay more than an item's natural value through imperfect knowledge or regional blight.

This is malarky, and we've known that it was malarky since 1867. In reality, labor creates wealth. In the case of farming this is literal, where the physical goods did not exist before labor was invested, but this is no less true for manufactured goods. A table is simply more valuable than a pile of lumber, and it gets that way because effort is expended on the lumber to make it more valuable.

So when you have gold as your medium of exchange, you screw yourself. The amount of accessible wealth is fixed with the amount of tradable currency, which in the case of a physical metal is itself fixed. And that means that the amount of wealth that people will produce will be restricted. In short: switching to a gold standard would cause massive unemployment and a huge reduction in the standard of living of everyone on Earth. There would be an absolute ceiling on how much could be produced for the market and excess production would back up and push people out of the economy altogether.

Think Great Depression. Farmers can't sell the grain they have so they don't spend their gold on making crops for the next year. Factories can't sell the current stock so they lay off all the workers. Artificial demand caps crush the economy like an empty soda can.

-Username17
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

I took estimates of all the gold ever mined and Gross World Product (wealth created in a year in the world? Not sure about wealth destroyed) and dividing one by the other, came to the conclusion that on the gold standard, the value of gold ought to rise by several thousand dollars per ounce per year.

Have I messed up my thought-experiment, or does it show a problem with the gold standard idea?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Fwib wrote:I took estimates of all the gold ever mined and Gross World Product (wealth created in a year in the world? Not sure about wealth destroyed) and dividing one by the other, came to the conclusion that on the gold standard, the value of gold ought to rise by several thousand dollars per ounce per year.

Have I messed up my thought-experiment, or does it show a problem with the gold standard idea?
That's about right, yeah.

-Username17
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Are you talking now? We aren't on a gold standard anymore so the numbers wouldn't line up.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Exactly, Draco.

-Crissa
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

His point was that the numbers would have to be continually adjusted (wild variation).
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

The person who sparked this question for me is now citing this article. A lot.

From my understanding the article is basically Alan Greenspan claiming that gold is necessary to freedom and the removal of it is a conspiracy of the "welfare state."
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Ah yes, back when Alan Greenspan was even crazier than he is now.

Of course, that article is from 1966. Alan Greenspan in 2005 had this to say:
Alan Greenspan to Ron Paul in July, 2005 wrote:So that the question is: Would there be any advantage, at this particular stage, in going back to the gold standard?

And the answer is: I don’t think so
A common tactic of Randroids is to quote mine people. Putting up articles from someone twenty years and a noble prize before they were appointed to real power and claiming that it's their current opinions is pretty standard.

-Username17
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Is your opponent claiming that Greenspan believe that or is he claiming that the article makes sense? The latter is fine (although his position is wrong) the former is just dishonest. Especially if hes claiming that you are wrong because Greenspan likes the gold standard.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

It's interesting that Greenspan mentions banking in that article. Once you realize that banks are in the business of creating "virtual money" that doesn't physically exist, the idea that currency must be a physical object is dead.

Seriously, all the arguments in this thread are based on the results of going back to the gold standard. We all overlooked the possibility that your opponent was actually arguing that gold has some inherent quality that makes it the only good money. That's some seriously outdated economic thinking that, obviously, even Greenspan repudiates in this day and age.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

His argument is that the gold standard will stop the Federal Reserve from printing money and causing inflation.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

So when's the last time we had a bout of inflation caused by the Fed printing too much money?
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I don't understand everybody's argument of going back to the gold system especially in light of when you consider that cold hard cash, in a way, acts as gold used to. How many times have you actually payed "real" money to complete a transaction lately, compared to the amount of times you used a check, credit card, or some other non-cash transaction?
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

You don't need the gold standard to stop banks from pulling money out of an inkwell, you just need to set the fractional reserve rate to 100%. As soon as banks can't loan out 4 times what they have in deposits they stop creating money and can only redistribute it. There's no reason to tie your whole economy to some random material (and it's value fluctuations) while you're at it.

Credit markets would be totally screwed of course and it would be fucking hard to get a loan, but that doesn't seem to be a concern since this one magic step would stop inflation and save the universe.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

His arguments all seem to be pulled from a blog site, http://thegoldbugnet.blogspot.com/ by one Howard S. Kantz.

To Bigode below:

I figured out why; I accidentally put a comma after the url. Fixing it now.
Last edited by Cielingcat on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

The blog seems to have ceased to exist. Also, while I wouldn't hype my Google-fu, some search also fails to unearth anything worth noting ...

To Cielingcat above: Google turning nothing's still amusing, but yeah - it's there.
Last edited by Bigode on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

The gold standard is fucking stupid. It's so stupid that the fact that Obama has several economic advisers from the Chicago school (the Chile economy rape thing aside) makes me want to hurl.

This website will go into some of the details below without all of my swearing. Enjoy, assbandits.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-gold.htm
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Will read the link later; but what happened to your AM3P version? Sure, PARANOIA (with Caps and all) probably fits you well anyway ...
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I lost my password.

It was time for a change, anyway.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Actually, here's a quick question.

How come people didn't just use fiat money much much earlier? A gold standard based on fractional reserves works almost the same as one based on fiat money except for the fact that a fiat system isn't dependent on deflation. I mean, gold is just an arbitrary metal. Why not cows or rubies or some bullshit?

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Actually, here's a quick question.

How come people didn't just use fiat money much much earlier? A gold standard based on fractional reserves works almost the same as one based on fiat money except for the fact that a fiat system isn't dependent on deflation. I mean, gold is just an arbitrary metal. Why not cows or rubies or some bullshit?
Well, as far as I can remember from Macro-econ way back in '02, it was actually silver that was the international standard until the 19th or 20th century. I'm going to stipulate that it probably started changing at this time because of America's emerging power status and the crazy amount of gold we had discovered in our areas. This seems a weak assumption, of course, to push everyone on to the gold standard.

As far, why not cows or rubies, cows are perishable for one and common for another. A perishable currency does not make a good currency.

RUbies --- amount and extraction and stuff?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The first coins are copper ingots set in value to one ox hide. The problem with fiat money early on was that there wasn't a "government" that anyone considered to exist. Fiat money only became possible with the advent of Nationalism. Which means that before the 19th century it wasn't even an option.

The Chinese Emperor experimented with paper money and it came out with a resounding failure. It was called "flying money" because you coud make paper airplanes out of it. Since a number of people didn't know what emperor they were nominally living under in those days, an imperial guaranty of value wasn't worth much. Worse, the printing techniques of the period weren't up to the standards of today as forgers could simply make copies.

-Username17