If you could change THREE THINGS about 4E...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Um... ok. Nevermind you've got mechanics to do it, scads of monsters that can do it, and no requirement that an NPC has to fight the PCs personally to be a villain, fight to the death even if he does do it, but fine. We can all pretend that somehow no one who plays rpgs these days tries to do a recurring villain.

:/
fliprushman
1st Level

Post by fliprushman »

ROFL!

That's about all I can do about this discussion of Recurring villians.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:Minions can be fixed by adding a resist all 10-15 to their stat blocks.
Good thing we're not talking about houserules.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Psychic Robot wrote: Good thing we're not talking about houserules.
Well, I don't really consider it a house rule I guess because I create mostly custom monsters anyway for high level 4E. And given that 4E monsters are made of arbitrarium anyway, assigning them resist all as a property is perfectly legal.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:
Psychic Robot wrote: Good thing we're not talking about houserules.
Well, I don't really consider it a house rule I guess because I create mostly custom monsters anyway for high level 4E. And given that 4E monsters are made of arbitrarium anyway, assigning them resist all as a property is perfectly legal.
Obi Wan fallacy. Wait, let me roll a bit ...
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:
Voss wrote:Recurring villains don't ever happen? Thats... weird.
In 3.5, very rarely. It's hard to ever survive a battle in 3.5 to fight another day unless you have some contingent teleport. But I don't really consider that even a recurring villain, that's just more of a taunting villain, because you never fight him for real until the final battle.
So we keep defeating the BBEG's minions, but he always teleports out before we get to fight him, but we finally have the big battle at the end of the move/book/TV season. That's the very definition of a recurring villain in most pop culture.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So we keep defeating the BBEG's minions, but he always teleports out before we get to fight him, but we finally have the big battle at the end of the move/book/TV season. T hat's the very definition of a recurring villain in most pop culture.
Most recurring villains don't keep popping out, though.

Either they curbstomp the party and move on, get the MacGuffin they want in the middle of combat and move on, or the party defeats the villain and they stick them in jail.

The problem with the 1st option is that most villains in D&D will kill your ass and the rules and setting supports them killing your ass. The problem with the other two options is that it promotes extensive villain decay. You kicked this guy's ass in the past, why should you be worried about them now? While this is acceptable for the low-level orc barbarian suddenly becoming a Necromancer Berserker, able to command the dead with his huge fury... a 'recurring villain' who tries to stay competitive but still beatable by adding an extra level or so gets old fast.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

fliprushman wrote:ROFL!

That's about all I can do about this discussion of Recurring villians.
I think that's all anyone can do. If you don't, you're taking it far too seriously.

The whole point of being a villain is to reoccur. If a villain doesn't come back it was just a speed bump or a minor enemy in a 30-minute kids cartoon.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.