You know what? Fuck the MST3K Mantra.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

MartinHarper wrote: I agree that 4e poison sucks. The disease mechanics work better for poison, I reckon, with a final state of "dead". Meanwhile, the disease mechanics suck for diseases, because they're not contagious, which is surely the whole point of a disease.
There should be some rule for contagion, but it can cover a large variety of conditions, not all of which are contagious (cancer, Lupus etc.) or are not contagious to the other PCs - Elfasclerosis might not affect non-elves, and Filth Fever won't affect party members who remain clean). But some things will spread like the plague. An example is the plague.

I think you could have more fun playing 4E as a game of House (trying to identify someone's condition and find the right way to cure them, possibly including breaking into their house and stabbing the guards in the face, all before they succumb to the illness and die) than as regular 4E.

"We've tried everything for Cackle Fever and he's just getting worse. The laughing is terrible, and he's sweating so much that his skin is going rubbery."
"Gregorius, stop stealing my food, I'm not exactly tickled at having to buy my lunch twice every day."
"...tickled."
---
"You, why are you laughing?"
"I can't help it, my insides tickle."
"I thought so! You have Slimy Doom. All we need is a paralytic poison and an Ooze Puppet spell, then we can cure you!"
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Six-hour rest. SIX HOURS, KOUMEI.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

So you would prefer "until it kills you or its cured", PR? Or is it that some other time than six hours is preferable?
Trust in the Emperor, but always check your ammunition.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

What are you banging on about, PR? Six hours what?
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Six hours of rest = cure-all. That means no episodes of House.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Oh right. I was still in wishful thinking mode, with the what-ifs, but looking at it now, it does seem like I had finished saying how it should work and was then talking about using the rules as they are.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

House refuses to go into 4.0. Quarantine area. Even he can't cure the Fail.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Roy wrote:House refuses to go into 4.0. Quarantine area. Even he can't cure the Fail.
I might've posted a ROFL block if he hadn't made a 4E class. :D
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Bigode wrote:
Roy wrote:House refuses to go into 4.0. Quarantine area. Even he can't cure the Fail.
You too? I totally explain Frank to people as: "He's like House, but not crippled, and he lives in the Czech Republic. Also, game design."
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Bigode wrote:
I don't work on 4.0, sorry. Also, I'm not crippled either.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Nobody should want to be House. He's a boring, one-dimensional piece of crap who the writers pretend is deep. I'm pretty sure there's more to Frank's character than being a dick and being right.
Ant wrote:
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Psychic Robot wrote:Nobody should want to be House. He's a boring, one-dimensional piece of crap who the writers pretend is deep. I'm pretty sure there's more to Frank's character than being a dick and being right.
House is a keyword for competence, and fuck your time wasting bullshit. Anyone with high knowledge, and a penchant for smiting imbeciles qualifies.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Well, how miserable can you be saving lives, sleeping around and doing drugs?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Roy: in case it's not clear, I indeed meant Frank == House, not you. :D

And hell, why should people strive for anything other than being dicks (or bitches, whatever) and being right?

P.S.: yeah, the drugs are the part we're intentionally forgetting. :(
Last edited by Bigode on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Bigode wrote:Roy: in case it's not clear, I indeed meant Frank == House, not you. :D

And hell, why should people strive for anything other than being dicks (or bitches, whatever) and being right?

P.S.: yeah, the drugs are the part we're intentionally forgetting. :(
I know who you meant. But since I was using it as a keyword for competence and not tolerating bullshit the term applies to... most of the fucking board, really.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Ah. Yeah, I think most of the board isn't crippled either (neither Frank, of course), but some did work on 4E. :D
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Dude, the new superheroes game is about using 4e stuff in a useful way.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I had that in mind the whole time, and refused to mention for some reason ...
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Smite Imbecile
Your quick wit grants you advantages in combat. By using logic, reason, and math, you can annihilate your opponents.
  • Smite Imbecile
    Closing your eyes for a moment, you focus your mind until only your blade remains.
    At-Will ✦ Martial, Weapon, House
    Standard Action Melee weapon
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Intelligence vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage, and the target is stunned for one round.

Increase damage to 2[W] + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.
    Miss: Epic fail.
Ant wrote:
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Frank has been compared to House a few times now, and it was pointed out (by people who know him in person) that he's nothing like that, and is "a really nice guy" in real life. He has refused to comment on the comparison.

I take issue with House being called "boring and one-dimensional", but to be fair, I'm a huge fan of Hugh Laurie (and his colleague Stephen Fry).

Bigode: I don't know about you, but I'M not forgetting the drugs. Course, that may just be that I need to get another script of Capadex and my back is letting me know it.

Oh, and I've made the first level of a Mind Flayer racial class for 4E - a one-on-one game I'm playing. I think most of us have toyed with it to some extent.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Koumei wrote:Bigode: I don't know about you, but I'M not forgetting the drugs. Course, that may just be that I need to get another script of Capadex and my back is letting me know it.
I thought House's case included cocaine, which I really hope you're not on (heh, IIRC you left that pretty clear on Frank's journal, of course). Painkillers should be way more acceptable for someone with actual pains to kill (despite the fact that I often feel forced to think you might be exaggerating). :(
Koumei wrote:Oh, and I've made the first level of a Mind Flayer racial class for 4E - a one-on-one game I'm playing. I think most of us have toyed with it to some extent.
I've read its ability lists, and might port whatever's of some actual interest into 3.5. Playing it? I'd rather do like a Persona 3 character (with no hope of summoning spirits) before that.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Bigode wrote:I'd rather do like a Persona 3 character (with no hope of summoning spirits) before that.
A Persona 3 character? Where do I get me some of that? Shooting oneself in the head is a sure route to real ultimate power.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Gelare wrote:A Persona 3 character? Where do I get me some of that? Shooting oneself in the head is a sure route to real ultimate power.
Short of getting a delusion, believing it works, and quickly getting in an state where you don't fvcking care, I unfortunately have no suggestions. Do notice that I said I'd have no hope of RUP - just of avoiding playing 4E.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Bigode wrote:I thought House's case included cocaine, which I really hope you're not on (heh, IIRC you left that pretty clear on Frank's journal, of course). Painkillers should be way more acceptable for someone with actual pains to kill (despite the fact that I often feel forced to think you might be exaggerating). :(
I wouldn't touch coke with a 10-foot pole. Well, Coca Cola I'll drink, but you know what I mean. And House doesn't take cocaine, but Thirteen started to do so after it was known that she had Huntington's. House merely takes a whole lot of Vicodin (hydrocodone, a moderately strong opioid painkiller) and once took LSD to stop a self-induced migraine. I think he may have taken a normal decongestant, chopped it into powder and snorted it, once.

And yeah, I just take lots of codeine when necessary (though usually it's maybe 200mg over 2-3 days, then more than a week without, depending on how severe the pain is). Recently I was prescribed Capadex, which is a lot better - better painkiller results with less opioid effects.

As for exaggeration? I exaggerate the drug-taking, but not the pain. Luckily, I'm not in pain all the time, it just comes and goes as it feels like it and there doesn't seem to be much that can be done to affect this. At least a doctor actually took me seriously enough (it's probably having "gets antidepressants prescribed" that lets them think there's nothing wrong) to investigate what it could be, though. CT scan and everything.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Koumei wrote:I wouldn't touch coke with a 10-foot pole. Well, Coca Cola I'll drink, but you know what I mean.
Yay, says another sugar addict. But how's a migraine more self-induced than any other?