Help in Creating a Character for a D&D 3.5 Game

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I'm going to have to side with Roy.
Oh yeah and the DM feels we haven't succeded at the encounter thus far because we ran away, so no xp for anything yet.
Unless you're really good friends with this guy, I think you should flee. My douchebag sense is tingling.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Roy wrote:Here's a fine suggestion. Get the fuck out. Power tripping douchebag is power tripping.
Some people game with their friends, or have to choose from a limited local selection. Sometimes having a game to play in is superior to not gaming at all.
Friends, by definition show respect for each other. Which means this doesn't happen. No game > bad game. This is normally the part where I'd recommend MW, but as it's now filled with power tripping douchebag mods I will instead say STAY AWAY FROM THE SUMMONER!

Edit: Though I am curious to hear more about the Dragonlance comment.
Last edited by Roy on Tue May 12, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Roy wrote:Edit: Though I am curious to hear more about the Dragonlance comment.
Railroading plot + Bullshit encounters you can never win + Deus Ex Machina = Dragonlance fanboy.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Kaelik wrote:
Roy wrote:Edit: Though I am curious to hear more about the Dragonlance comment.
Railroading plot + Bullshit encounters you can never win + Deus Ex Machina = Dragonlance fanboy.
Interesting, but I need more than that for it to be a proper red flag. Details, give us the details of Fail!
Rathe
Apprentice

Post by Rathe »

Wow, how to respond.
Firstly, I'm not going to bother to defend his DMing, as I too found it to be rather petty. On the other hand, the group is pretty good (in general) and I do enjoy playing. Second, the reincarnation by Ogres was relatively well played (if you wanted to inject a character in, which was something he was adamant on), although the level loss was truly annoying it should come back rather quickly, because of the xp differential.

As for the opponents, I have no freakin clue what happened to bring about oppenents capable of flattening this group; I mean if it were a Druid, Wizard/Shadowcraft Mage, Cleric, Frenzied Berserker I could totally see it, but not these guys. In any case, I'm willing to roll with it for a bit longer and give him the benefit of the doubt.

What I'd like to do, is see if there is a counter for the Invisibility Ambushes that he seems to like. If there is and he just rolls with us finally countering them, then I'll be able to see if I can take playing with him. If he throws a tantrum and crushes us because we were intelligent...well that will tell me something too.

So any suggestions on a cleric or strategies to reduce the threat of invis ambushes?
Last edited by Rathe on Tue May 12, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Rathe wrote: So any suggestions on a cleric or strategies to reduce the threat of invis ambushes?
You already used invisibility purge. Deeper darkness lasts for a day per level and will even the playing field, but might piss of your DM and fellow players. True seeing lasts decently long if you're expecting an ambush, especially if you've crafted an extending rod.

There's a spell in BoED that will get you a few lantern archon friends for a very long time. They can fly at 60' while concentrating on detect evil, so they can warn you of they detect anything within a fairly good distance. Whereupon you can call up deeper darkness or obscuring mist and retreat to prepare for combat.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Lich-Loved
Knight

Post by Lich-Loved »

Rathe wrote:What I'd like to do, is see if there is a counter for the Invisibility Ambushes...
Using your own resources, you can use the Lesser Rod of Extend + See Invisibility for 10 hours of protection a day (200 min/casting, 3 castings per day), which should cover you until you can teleport to safety at night or hide in a rope trick. Alternately, the Wizard could make see invisibility permanent on himself for a 1000xp.

If you don't have this equipment, you could craft it or use the 10kgp you mentioned earlier to buy the wizard the spells he needs and a new spellbook (or a rod for you). You could also buy teleport and scry so the wizard could scry/fry. If you no longer have any money, you may have to slum it for a bit and kill off some lower level foes for their loot so you can acquire enough of a nest egg to allow you to rearm in a rudimentary way. These aren't ideal solutions, but the situation is pretty extreme anyway. It probably isn't possible for your under-equipped group to reclaim their stuff against invisibly ambushing, flying mobs well over your expected EL, so you may have to be creative in acquiring the basics so you can mount a foray to reclaim your things.
- LL
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

He does seem a bit railroady. Why not play along? Cast Divination and ask Helm how to defeat the invisable Ogre Magi.

Have the ranger cast Alarm which lasts two hours per caster level. It should keep the Ogres out of where you are staying, at least. If it will not piss your party off, cast Speak with Dead on one of the dead ones and try to get it to tell you where the ogres are hiding out.

If you cast Summon Monster V, you can get 1d3 Salt mephits, each of which can cast Glitterdust and negate their invisibility for three rounds.

Ogre Mages have suprisingly bad will saves. You can try to Plane Shift them to the negative energy plane or Command/Greater Command them to halt and have the party kill them.

Is the wizard's effigy actually going to be any good?
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

You need to get your wizard 2 spells. Doing this is critical. I don't care if he prepares them into his slots from scrolls all fucking day, he needs these 2 spells. If he has any metamagic, he uses that.

1 - Nerveskitter.
2 - Glitterdust.

Seriously, I have blown through a very similar encounter from another DM with these 2 spells.

Seriously, Glitterdust negates the whole first encounter. Not even kidding. Normal ogres have a +1 Will save, and Glitterdust is a DC 16-19 spell. It also does a kickass job on the secondary encounter.

2 Ogre Barb6 - cannot make AoOs, must make Listen checks to locate you (there is an 'in battle' penalty to this check most of the time)
4 Ogre Warlk6 - cannot use invocations, 'nuff said
2 Ogre Magi Sorc6 and Clr6 - still decently dangerous, but cannot use targeted magic (which is most of the dangerous stuff).

You can seriously negate 6 out of 10 of these party members with one goddamned spell.

Your party gives you shitty feats and shitty spells, then tells you that you are dealing too much damage and that you should be a healer? Tell them to fuck off and that Healing Touch will keep you as the primary healer as long as you have 1 spell left.

Because your wizard is sucking so hard (no backup spellbook, no secret page, no Spell Mastery, no hidden scrolls, no arcane runes, and x/day items, rods, staves, wands, this is HIS FAULT and not the DMs entirely), Summon Monster 5 has been nominated.

Here is what you do with Summon Monster 5:
Mephit (Salt) - just go down the list of SLAs and you can do no wrong.
- Glitterdust - reveals opponents even on a save, blinding is crazy good as mentioned above (-2 AC, no Dex to AC (free SA), may not make AoOs, 50% miss chance, -2 on most skill checks and has to make Listen checks to find people)
- Salt Breath - this is +8 damage for you on a failed save
- Draw Moisture (if you have no other options)

Mephit (Fire) - (abuse) SLAs. This is crazy-awesome against casters
- Scorching Ray - use this as a Readied Action when someone starts casting a spell - prompts a DC 10+4d6 concentration check (average DC is 24, and their average check with full ranks in Concentration is 21.5 so this works more than 50% of the time)
- Heat Metal - assuming you have already used Scorching Ray, this will make them make a concentration check every round for a while (average DC is 12.5 or 15, so it works something like 25% of the time).
- Breath Weapon - Use this in the same way as Scorching Ray if you have already used the 2 SLAs

d3 lantern archons - this really pays off with Summon Monster 6, but it can be viable at this level - each lantern archon deals 2d6 damage as a ranged touch attack (with +2 against a large creature, this is fairly reliable) until slain. Potentially (1 time in 3, right?), this is dealing 6*2d6 dmg/round = 42 avg. This amount of focused fire should kill any one of the casters (the sorcerors have something like 40 hp). This is probably your best "damage" spell, as Sound Lance (SPC) only does 10d8-avg45.

Here is what you do with Summon Undead V
- 1d3 Wyvern Zombies - These are large sized with Str bonus and can fly. They have a +16 grapple mod, so they can probably ground a warlock in midflight. They also have 94 hp, which might as well be ∞ when the warlocks are dealing something like an average 10.5. They are big, indestructible, and immune to most things that aren't damage, so you put them in the way.
- Mummy - Forces a DC 16 Will save versus paralyze just from entering the battlefield. Doesn't entirely suck, but isn't as good at meatshielding as even 1 Wyvern.

Size Increase does not come with speed increase, sadly.

You can seriously cast Scry. However, Circle Dance (no silver mirror needed!) is better and lower level.

Speak with Dead is seconded.

Alarm is Seconded.

The Lantern Archon spell is level 6, so I'm afraid you don't get it.

Spikes was changed to last 1 round/level in the SPC. However, that pretty much takes away all of it's usefulness, so play that as it lies IMO.

Fill some bags (or torn clothes, or knit something, I don't care) with dirt. A bag of flour reveals an invisible creature. www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040921a . As long as your wizard is completely worthless, he might as well be tagging people with bags of flour.

Summary:
1) How do I protect against those stupid warlock touch attacks. - Force Concentration Checks or kill/distract warlock (Summon V or Summon Undead)
2) Sure-fire way to track down those ogres and our stuff. I'm thinking Scry (with ogre blood from the one who got away) + locate object when near. - Close, Circle Dance and Locate Object
3) How to avoid those blooming Invis ambushes. - Bags of flour, continuous Detect Evil/Magic, good Listen checks
4) Do you think it wise that I "loan" 10k+ gp to the wizard to craft a fighting effigy thing? I figure that he could craft me a bunch of wonderous stuff at 1/2 cost it'd be worth it to work with him. (if I get the $$ back). At 10K this is probably worth your time because over the course of a few levels you can probably get more than 10K in savings back. This is true even if the Effigy never does anything. Do it.
5) Oh and lastly, do I gain any movement speed when my size category changes? No

Happy campaigning!
Last edited by SunTzuWarmaster on Wed May 13, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

This DM of yours has statted himself up straight out of the Complete Arse supplement and should be beaten to death with a spade for his own good. If that's not a viable option - and I can see how it might not be, what with there being "laws" and stuff in most places these days - then I'd strongly suggest taking a leaf out of his book.

It'll be tough until your Wizard can actually cast spells again (I'm with Kaelik: your DM is not only a DragonLance fanboy, but a 2nd Edition fanboy to boot) but you should do your best to jump off the tracks. Interrogate a dead opponent via Speak with Dead, and travel to where you need to be by means of Wind Walk or other mass-travel spells so you can't be ambushed again. Or, use Plane Shift to move the entire party onto the Ethereal Plane and do your tracking from there; you're not only undetectable to anything that can't see invisible creatures but invulnerable to an awful lot of stuff. Scope out the bad guys' encampment from the Ethereal Plane, and start by dropping back into the Prime Material plane next to all of your stuff.

If you can persuade your DM to let you get the Ghost Touch Weapon spell from Libris Mortis (do this before you mention any plan to become ethereal), you could set matters up so that some party members are able to fight Prime Material creatures whilst ethereal.

Better yet, ignore the stupid railroad plot and look for lower-level opponents of your own to ambush.

Basically, if the rest of the group is willing to say "Bugger this, we can't fight these guys without all our gear, lets go and do something else" then there's not a lot the DM can really do about it other than throw a tantrum and refuse to play. He's power-tripping off making the lot of you jump through stupid hoops and that's no way to have fun :(

Anyway, best of luck to you; I know what it's like to be in a gaming drought and having to put up with a crappy game as an alternative to nothing at all, so I hope you manage to get this group seeing sense!
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Wind Walk is out (too high level).

Plane Shift to Ethereal is probably a decent way to get your Scry on, but dropping back is... difficult (5-500 miles :( ). However, you could probably just LEAVE at this point, and not be subject to anymore ambushes. You can also play the Astral Pirates game, which appears to be more fun that the current game.

Speak with Dead is a total applecart upset, one which it looks like your players will enjoy.
Amra
Knight

Post by Amra »

SunTzuWarmaster wrote:Wind Walk is out (too high level).
Whutwhut? It's Cleric 6, and I thought we were dealing with an 11th-level Cleric, aren't we? That's a 6th-level spell and a bonus per day... or are you saying that it's too high a level to bother with, rather than too high to cast? Plane Shift + Wind Walk for all-day high-speed scouting without being bothered by invisible friggin' Ogre Mages, I thought it'd be worth a try.
Plane Shift to Ethereal is probably a decent way to get your Scry on, but dropping back is... difficult (5-500 miles :( ).
Hmmm. The spell text refers to inaccuracy from the Prime Material plane rather than to the Prime Material plane, so I've always gone with the interpretation that you can use it to just "drop back" into the PM from the ethereal as you can actually see your target destination.

However, it's unlikely that the DM in question is going to go with any charitable interpretation that means his railroading gets busted, so fair enough.

If you work it right, you can get your ethereal mojo working anyway. Get a metamagic rod of Transdimensional Spell, get some ghost touch weapons by fair means or foul and let rip. If you don't need to get back to the prime material in order to kick ass and chew bubblegum it's all good.
However, you could probably just LEAVE at this point, and not be subject to anymore ambushes. You can also play the Astral Pirates game, which appears to be more fun that the current game.

Speak with Dead is a total applecart upset, one which it looks like your players will enjoy.
Amen to all of the above. Your DM is a monkey in a person-suit.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Amra wrote:
SunTzuWarmaster wrote:Wind Walk is out (too high level).
Whutwhut? It's Cleric 6, and I thought we were dealing with an 11th-level Cleric, aren't we? That's a 6th-level spell and a bonus per day... or are you saying that it's too high a level to bother with, rather than too high to cast? Plane Shift + Wind Walk for all-day high-speed scouting without being bothered by invisible friggin' Ogre Mages, I thought it'd be worth a try.
The cleric in question is level 10 - apparently due to Reincarnation cast by the ogres.
Rathe wrote: Henceforth they then raised all their dead with class levels & reincarnated me as a dwarf which was cool, but resulted in me losing a level.

[...]

Here he is right now:
Dwarf Cleric 10 - S:14; D:12; C:16; W:18; I:10; Ch:10
*crappy feats that I can't train out*
Leather Armour + Magic Vestment
No shield
Torch + Gr. Magic Weapon + Spikes
Gr. Spell Resistance
BAB: 8+2(str)+2(gmw)=10/5
AC: 10+4+1=15 (no shield)
DMG: 1d2+2+10+2=1d2+14
violence in the media
Duke

Re: Thank you for the help...I certainly need it.

Post by violence in the media »

Rathe wrote:So the game starts off with a fight/ambush by 13 regular ogres, with reinforcements 2 rounds later by 2 Ogre Barb6, 4 Ogre Warlk6, 2 Ogre Magi Sorc6 & 2 Ogre Clr6 who surprised us because they were all invisible. So the monk and wiz were captured, the rogue escaped by flight and I was killed by the two fully power attacking barbarians in the surprise round. Henceforth they then raised all their dead with class levels & reincarnated me as a dwarf which was cool, but resulted in me losing a level.
I've been meaning to ask about this. Why did the ogres reincarnate the cleric they just killed? I get that it was just an in-game explaination for you to play your dwarf cleric, but it doesn't make any sense. For a group that appears to need a story reason to introduce a new character, it seems odd that they settled on something so dumb. Is there some plot point you're leaving out that causes all this to make sense? You mentioned something about a ransom, but why reincarnate you when they can demonstrably raise dead?

Ogres: "Ya boss! 'Dis badga' 'ere idda guy we's need fo da monies."

Ogre Boss: "You pos'tive? Dey's lookin' fer a 'ooman."

Ogres: "Ya boss! We's killded 'im an' then majicked 'im inna a badga'!"

Ogre Boss: "O RLY? How's youse think imma b'live that?! Youse been inna ale agin!" *THWACK!*
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

:rofl:

And with that, VitM wins the fucking thread.

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You know, this thread had made me wonder:

What good cleric PrCs are there? 3.5E doesn't seem to have anything good that isn't some kind of weird exploit. What does the game have to offer for an enterprising young asshole like myself?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

I kind of liked the Sovereign Speaker. Eberron PrC, trades caster levels for lots of domains.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:You know, this thread had made me wonder:

What good cleric PrCs are there? 3.5E doesn't seem to have anything good that isn't some kind of weird exploit. What does the game have to offer for an enterprising young asshole like myself?
There are a few classics which are exactly the same as normal clerics except better. Church Inquisitor, for example.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I'm gonna agree with Roy here. I'd have serious reservations about playing this game.

Especially since you created a legal character within the utterly bullshit constraints and the DM is still looking to nerf the shit out of you. If he tries I'd basically demand that *he* start creating characters he's okay with, and you'll reject them until you find one you're comfortable with, just as a change of fucking pace.

On the up shot, I predict that the game won't last long and you can cast your vote for any other DM, up to and including a blindfolded cat in heat with a pencil stuck in it's collar. It's clear that the party keeps getting killed because the DM is a fuckwit, not necessarily because they are ass players.