Whole career campaigns?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Doom
Duke

Whole career campaigns?

Post by Doom »

The Enemy Within Campaign, in my opinion, seems to be something of a rarity in RPGs, since it covers the players' heroes from "womb to the tomb", you can roll up a party, adventure through the half dozen or so 'adventure collections', and retire at the end.

I'm curious, how many other RPGs even have such an entire campaign, with a somewhat connected story, built from the ground up, with the intention of covering a character's entire career?

Granted, there's Dungeon Delve (which, in my opinion, is execrable and I'm embarrassed to admit I bought and read it through), but as someone most astutely pointed out, I don't know all games ever made.

So, any others such "world encompassing" campaigns out there, especially good ones? I'm not talking worlds to adventure in, or campaign settings, but, literally, a collection of completely laid out adventures covering many sessions of play following something of a storyline and intended to be the entirety of a character's adventuring career.

(good as a matter of opinion, of course)
hogarth
Prince

Re: Whole career campaigns?

Post by hogarth »

Doom314 wrote:So, any others such "world encompassing" campaigns out there, especially good ones? I'm not talking worlds to adventure in, or campaign settings, but, literally, a collection of completely laid out adventures covering many sessions of play following something of a storyline and intended to be the entirety of a character's adventuring career.
Masks of Nyarlathotep for Call of Cthulhu.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Isn't this the whole point of the Adventure Paths? Rise of the Runelords, Age of Worms, that sort of thing?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Well, the old G-Series and D-Series ran right into one another and went all the way up to murdering a goddess in her demon web pits. The GDQ series was voted "The greatest adventure of all time" back in 2004. I mean heck, that series got a 9/10 from White Dwarf. Kind of dungeon crawly, but a lot of people apparently like that. A lot.

The Sunless Citadel is "stand alone" but frankly it specifically runs into another adventure and another all the way up to Lord of the Iron Fortress. And don't forget the Temple of Elemental Evil. That's a whole campaign as well.

Shadowrun drops Missions segments that could cover an entire character's life fairly easily if you care. And there's Harlequin.

-Username17
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

As already have been mentioned, there are 3.5 adventure paths from Paizo, three from the Dungeon magazines and three published separately. Age of Worms and Rise of the Runelords are very good, Savage Tide and Curse of the Scarlet Throne are quite good, Second Darkness, Shattered City and currently-ongoing Legacy of Fire are mediocre-to-poor.
Even the best of them are not without flaws. Age of Worms and Savage Tide are built on the assumption that the party actively uses 3.X supplements and those its members who aren't full spellcasters are seriously optimized. They use downright murderous encounters alot. Like all DnD adventures, they tend to treat monsters like mobs, who take no active actions in responce to PCs attacks, but the adventures try to tone this down. They also tend to automatically scale the world with the PCs, even if this makes no sense, so a cowardly loser you meet in 3rd-4th adventure down the path is likely to be a level 7 cowardly loser. But I'm willing to forgive them these flaws - I'm not going to run them strictly by-the-book, but they give me both inspiration to DM and alot of help in DMing (pre-written locations, maps, some monsters and statblocks).
Last edited by FatR on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frantic
NPC

Post by Frantic »

>>Age of Worms and Rise of the Runelords are very good,

Age of Worms is horrible because of its ridiculous PC mortality rate. HAVING to dumpster dive just to survive is really annoying.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

The only reason WoW has a high mortality rate is most people play like idjits. I'm pretty sure my college group could have gone through without losing anyone. My current group, on the other hand, lost a PC every session.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Actually, it doesn't fucking matter how good you are. Shackled City/Age of Worms/Savage Tide are all made by Paizo. And Paizo is terrible at balancing things, so while it being hardcore is not necessarily bad, the fact you get sneak attacked by DNS moments fairly often is.

So while skill can deal with the hard moments, you can't do anything about the fuck you moments. Except say fuck you Paizo, and fuck your APs.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

I mentioned that, but I feel that high difficulty (relatively high - twinked full casters still can rape AoW) is not so much a bug as a feature. If I'm ever going to run it for a non-optimizer party, I'll likely grant PCs some perks, such as ability to pick some "powerful" races and templates free of ECL/inherited wealth and magical stuff from the start.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

DNS what, Roy?

-Crissa
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

FrankTrollman wrote:Well, the old G-Series and D-Series ran right into one another and went all the way up to murdering a goddess in her demon web pits. The GDQ series was voted "The greatest adventure of all time" back in 2004. I mean heck, that series got a 9/10 from White Dwarf. Kind of dungeon crawly, but a lot of people apparently like that. A lot.

The Sunless Citadel is "stand alone" but frankly it specifically runs into another adventure and another all the way up to Lord of the Iron Fortress. And don't forget the Temple of Elemental Evil. That's a whole campaign as well.

Shadowrun drops Missions segments that could cover an entire character's life fairly easily if you care. And there's Harlequin.

-Username17
I rather liked the GDQ series, for all its warts...but didn't Against the Giants start at like level 9? Granted, that's arguably level 7 in 3.0+ rules, but still a far cry from freshly rolled...similar for Temple, although perhaps I just misremember that one (played it, everyone got bored with it shortly past the outer doors).

I never even realized Sunless Citadel was part of a campaign, really seemed like the modules of that era were about as thinly connected as S1-S4, although, again I concede some level of ignorance here.

Guess I'll have to break down and look at the Paizo stuff.

Thanks all!
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Crissa wrote:DNS what, Roy?

-Crissa
Death, No Save, which doesn't really happen in 3e.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I hear most Call of Cthulhu modules take you from womb to tomb *trollface*
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Psychic Robot wrote: Death, No Save, which doesn't really happen in 3e.
Yeah. Taking AoW as an example even obvious traps which any party that bothers to look at all can recognize don't instakill you there. Even if logically they should.
Last edited by FatR on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Crissa wrote:DNS what, Roy?

-Crissa
Death, No Save. From the 2.0 thread.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

COC? when has that been world encompassing? everytime I've played that. We've always gotten together only for a one-shot. I always try to think of a campaign for it and my old group used to groan at the idea of making several characters. Even if you didn't make it that lethal, apparently, players expect a horror behind every door. which is annoying for a dm.
Last edited by Cynic on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Actually, there are several in Call of Cthulhu. Any self-respecting shop that intends to stock out of print games will have them... From the mountains of madness to umm...

Look, reading them was awesome, but I pawned them off on a friend. Too creepy for me.

-Crissa
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

A_Cynic wrote:COC? when has that been world encompassing? everytime I've played that. We've always gotten together only for a one-shot. I always try to think of a campaign for it and my old group used to groan at the idea of making several characters. Even if you didn't make it that lethal, apparently, players expect a horror behind every door. which is annoying for a dm.
Again, look up Masks of Nyarlathotep. It's a world-spanning campaign.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I don't dispute that these books exist. I suppose my above post came out incorrectly. I'm just in wonder at how you would play a COC long-run game.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

If you recall the games I ran, survivors did exist, and I could've scaled the actions of the horrors so everyone had a better chance to escape/survive. However, I never saw the rules as conducive towards a long run game (sanity rules alone), so I encouraged the view with you guys of it being ideal for a series of one-shots.

And everyone seemed to enjoy it that way.
Last edited by virgil on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

virgileso wrote:If you recall the games I ran, survivors did exist, and I could've scaled the actions of the horrors so everyone had a better chance to escape/survive. However, I never saw the rules as conducive towards a long run game (sanity rules alone), so I encouraged the view with you guys of it being ideal for a series of one-shots.

And everyone seemed to enjoy it that way.
if you see the above quote, it's not only about how the dm scales the horror.

it's the player anticipation. Virgil. (Virgil, Eso, hmmm.....*real name*eso) of the horrors that await them behind the next closed door or the the shake of the bush. It's so fvcked up.

VIrgil might remember this adventure that I ran:

It was a one shot that I printed off of the club or society that existed at one point where you could go and play in the Greyhawk world but you also had access to all these adventures and pdfs that other people made. THere was this "fairly" decent CoC one-shot that I printed out.

I use that term rather loosely in retrospect. It was about a 100 or so page document that I printed out a week ahead and it was more umm what's the Lumley-like, than Lovecraftian, is that it? I don't mean horrors running everywhere. Just that, if you went into the woods at night, you were SOL, no matter if it was you or the entire village. So, I had re-tooled it to be a little more lovecraftian so that there was more of the touch of the impending doom rather than "Why, Mr. Shelly, I find it quite courteous that your courtin me this even---ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." thing. well I might be exaggerating. But the players continually wanted Shelly's courting in the evening. I don't mean that plot point. I mean they kept wanted that sort of horror. These are seasoned players. They enjoy other games too. Read Virgil's Tome's Tome sessions and you'll see one of them at least. My wife was one of them. And I finally drove one of the others to the nuthouse, he's out now. but they are all proficient in systems. But they expected pound me in the ass prison --- horor, i mean. you know where my mind is.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I was actually joking. See, when I said it runs you from womb to tomb, I was implying that:
everybody dies
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Well, don't you know the way you make the most optimized CoC character?
flaws: NO Eyes to see the horrors. No ears to hear the horrors. no nerves that are related to touch or feel the horrors and high will & wis.