I found a rad show(Mistborn forbidden due to retardation)

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

infected slut princess wrote:Keep in mind that many (not all) people on welfare are relatively lazy.
Indeed so correct, and especially correct when you consider how when the economy goes to shit like it currently has been for years now it automatically generates more lazy people to fill the massive growth in the number of unemployed people that need to be justifiably vilified as being deserving of unemployment through it being their fault for being lazy.

I mean, good thing that's how it works otherwise the massive upsurge in unemployment alone would have to make you reconsider the comfortable lie totes truth that unemployed people are totally deservingly lazy and that's what's going on there.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

DSMatticus wrote:Paying taxes is a poor people thing. True success is using government money to lobby for your own tax cuts as a non-profit organization. If you aren't one of the elite few who can do that, then you are just one of the countless poor suckers who is doing more work for less real compensation than the generation that came before them despite the nation being many, many times more prosperous.

On the topic of obesity, ISP is dumb. Of course we subsidize obesity. They're called agricultural subsidies, and instead of going to the obese and jobless they go to Coca-Cola and Pepsi. And if you are serious about tackling obesity, then the answer is to stop paying people to overproduce cheap soda and other bullshit.
DSMATTICUS, I think yuo are my favorite TGDMB communist.

There are some really dumb right-wing fucktards out there who are always saying "the poor use the government to steal from the rich!" and "poor people don't pay taxes!" A lot of poor people definitely do pay taxes. And while it is true that redistribution from the rich to the poor will occur, it will never be the sole or even dominant form of redistribution. The rich who rely on state privilege for their wealth are more able to systematically exploit the weak to empower and enrich themselves through the state apparatus. I mean, look how much they support the cartelization of the banking system, or look at the Pentagon budget -- that's like $700 billion of corporate welfare. It's really terrible. Big corporations plundering people through the state are actually the biggest welfare bums of all.

Good point about agricultural subsidies. That shit's gotta stop. Btw, whenever possible I get Lebanese Pepsi from a local shawarma shop. It's really delicious. It is sweetened with cane sugar, not HFCS which is the product of subsidizing American corn producers and protecting them from sweet sugar competition. poor people shouldn't have to pay way more to get Lebanese pepsi
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Wat. Look, there are a lot of reasons soda is comparatively more expensive in the rest of the world, and while I can't pin the entire thing on a higher cost of production, there is zero reason to believe soda prices here would be as low as they are now in the absence of a government willing to subsidize the fuck out of sugar production from corn. If we cut our subsidies and our weird hate for cane and beets (particularly of the foreign variety), cane sugar soda wouldn't replace corn syrup soda. Soda would just be more expensive, and it would use more cane sugar. You can't simultaneously tell people they're stupid for thinking people eat unhealthily because it's cheap and whine about corn subsidies. Because corn subsidies make a bunch of unhealthy shit cheaper than it would be otherwise, and that encourages overconsumption - both in the economic and dietary senses of the word.

But beyond that... if you live in the city without reliable transportation, the odds are good that you don't even have easy access to a grocery. It's just not a thing you can get to in a reasonable time frame. There isn't one in your neighborhood and you would be dependent upon carpooling or public transport to get to one and there are very few cities in the United States whose public transport isn't a giant pile of ass. But you know what? Convenience stores are fucking everywhere, and they stock tons of cheap, unhealthy shit. And having lived in a major city as a spoiled middle class college brat from a rural background, I can just fucking tell you produce in the city proper is hard to find and when you do find it it tastes like shit. My roommate and I did our grocery shopping right next to one of the wealthiest parts of the city, and that is the only place in the entire goddamn city I found tomatoes that tasted like actual tomatoes. Getting there on public transport would have been a goddamn nightmare and I don't think anything perishable would have survived the trip.

It's very easy to take access to healthy food lightly, but America went all in on "roads and cars; fuck public transport" as a favor to some giant corporations and now there's a bunch of people who don't have cars (or do, but the traffic and the expense make using it a kick in the balls) and don't have public transport and simple tasks like "get to a grocery" are actually pretty fucking difficult for them.

Also; yes, eating unhealthy is just straight-up cheaper. Depending on the study you look at how much cheaper is up for grabs, but realistically it's measured in at least a thousand dollars each year. For people making <30k, that's a pretty fucking noticeable cut into your disposable income.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Cheap food is almost always unhealthy.

Fruits and veggies that aren't canned are very expensive compared to buying $1 frozen dinners or a $4 2-pack of 14" pizzas. And that's just what I can see at my local market basket.

Getting the meat and veggies for a stir-fry (that can cover 2 meals) costs about 5 bucks, so that double-pack of pizza is twice the meal for less than half the money. It is really, really difficult to find food that is cheaper than market-basket pizza. You could always get ramen noodles or some other pasta products, but that shit's bad for you too.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.