[Dom3] Learning Game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Ikeren wrote:
No, I didn't forget that Vanheim has access to sailing, because up until this post I did not even know that a thing called sailing even existed in this game, or what the fuck it is or how it works.
This sums up so many Dom3 moments for me.
The very first thing I do before a war is to crack open the Dominions wiki and make a test game of the opposing nation just to see what kind of stuff they have.

It's just good tactical sense to do so; and like some guy said "Know your enemy, know yourself" and all that.
Last edited by Zinegata on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I was doing that, but then I started to have insufficient time to do that.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Jeez, kinda annoying when your home province lab burns down.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Zinegata wrote:Jeez, kinda annoying when your home province lab burns down.
Yeah it is.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Hey folks, I'll be putting up forge of the ancients real soon now. That would be really exciting if I were LA Ermor, but as it is, it's fairly uninteresting. Mostly, I'd like to mess around with some of the nice toys, but can't afford them.

Here's the part that makes you care: when it goes up, I'll be open to forging things at a discount! Prices to be negotiated, but I'm pretty sure we can work something out. It's really the best of both worlds: you get cheap stuff and you don't have to pay a huge surcharge in earth gems.

There's only one catch, I don't have a lot of forgers. I can make you lots of low level death stuff, but otherwise it's going to be slow going.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Vanheim would really, really like Skull Mentors. As many as possible. We can pay in Earth most likely (albeit I can prolly pay in Water or Fire too), or finished Earthen goods like Dwarven Hammers or Earth Boots.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Ouch. I guess you would.

We can work something out. PM me an offer, and I can get you a few fairly quick. Bulk will take some time.
le petit caporal
NPC

Post by le petit caporal »

Zinegata said:

"The very first thing I do before a war is to crack open the Dominions wiki and make a test game of the opposing nation just to see what kind of stuff they have.

It's just good tactical sense to do so; and like some guy said "Know your enemy, know yourself" and all that."

Dude

It's a great idea, but how do you do it?

Doesn't it it take a bit of work to move a game along far enough to see how all of their toys play?

Ya' wanna beginner, you got one ... me. I'd don't know jack about this game but I know tactics, and your primer on concentration of mass was spot on, it applies to everything. There is only one better tool, take the enemies balance. That is what the raiding into the enemy rear did for you. It comes out the way it always does ... against the unaware enemy ... it hurts. And they panic.

But take it easy on these guys. If they are new, they translate into tomorrow's experienced and challenging opponents. They are more fun that way. Just nurture, you benefit. If you are too ugly ... they go F' this! And a challenge of the future is lost.

In closing, Zin, I like your post and Franks also

Tschuss
il ne passeront pas
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

le petit caporal wrote:Dude

It's a great idea, but how do you do it?

Doesn't it it take a bit of work to move a game along far enough to see how all of their toys play?
First of all, check out the Vanheim Pretender creation guide I did on page 4:

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=52982& ... c&start=75

In general, the wiki should give you some basic idea on the relative cost and abilities of your troops. For instance, I point out that a TC Minister of Magic costs 70 gold only and provides 5 research without needing a lab, whereas a Vanherese costs more than twice that while providing only 4 research. That should tell you immediately that you'll be in a research disadvantage if you're facing TC and all other things are equal.

Moreover, most of the nations have guides on them anyway in the wiki page, which also gives you an idea of how they work - i.e. Abysia is a nation of slow infantry (occassionally supplemented by Devil raiders), Vanheim is a raiding nation with good troops, etc. Personally, part of the fun is doing the homework on the various nations.

Secondly, do test games. I generally like to just do a few turns with another nation, but there are tools available (mods) which let you test out various army configurations.
Ya' wanna beginner, you got one ... me.
Strictly speaking, given that I've only played three actual MP games so far (and two caretaking doomed nations), I'm pretty much a noob too. I just make it a point to take more steps to prepare for a game than others do.

This game's ongoing though, so you'll prolly need to wait until people die off and start a new game.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Little corporal person: Given that the game I'm currently in is going to end soon (and not in my favour, I'm guessing), there might be another game opening soon. Keep an eye out.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
le petit caporal
NPC

Mister_Sinister wrote:Little corporal person: Given that the game I'm currently in is going to end soon (and not in my favour, I'm guessing), there might be another game opening soon. Keep an eye out.
I appreciate the offer, but I would like to have a bit more of a clue about what I am doing first. It is one thing to do something embarrassingly stupid, but quite another to do it in front of people.
LOL

NZ, the place looks beautiful.
il ne passeront pas
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

le petit caporal wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Little corporal person: Given that the game I'm currently in is going to end soon (and not in my favour, I'm guessing), there might be another game opening soon. Keep an eye out.
I appreciate the offer, but I would like to have a bit more of a clue about what I am doing first. It is one thing to do something embarrassingly stupid, but quite another to do it in front of people.
LOL

NZ, the place looks beautiful.
Do what I did - post every turn with screenies, and the people here can give you very useful tips. Besides, I'm a newbie myself, and even though I'm likely gonna lose the game I'm in, I've learned lots, and that's what counts.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
le petit caporal
NPC

Mister_Sinister wrote:
le petit caporal wrote:
I appreciate the offer, ... embarrassingly stupid, ....
Do what I did - post every turn with screenies, and the people here can give you very useful tips. Besides, I'm a newbie myself, and even though I'm likely gonna lose the game I'm in, I've learned lots, and that's what counts.
You are on. How is it done? I have never read the manual on this ... ever
il ne passeront pas
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Turn 39 is corrupt for me, and is still corrupt after resending.
What do?
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Re-run the turn methinks
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Delete the savegame folder redownload?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I've already resent the turn even, so just redownloading isn't going to do it.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I have had the same problem in the past. Kept downloading a corrupted file. I cleared my cache, then asked for another resend.

edit: I suspect it was caused by the e-mail provider I use.
Last edited by Winnah on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

If we want an backroll you need to PN Avo, I don't think he follows this thread anymore.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I'll try more after work.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I can't make it work. I'll go ahead and stale this turn (no big plans this time at least), and hope next turn is better.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

this turn works for you?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

This turn worked fine.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

With Atlantis finaly domkilled, we are on quickhost again.
As soon as Ermor sends his turn, we get an new on.

Ermor migth want to do the next turn immediatly.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

sorry 'bout that.