Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AlphaNerd
Master

Re: Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by AlphaNerd »

I think it's "How many pages does Power Word: Whatever *really* take up in my spellbook?"

Answer: The same as everything else. The rules are made of arbitrarium.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1178239203[/unixtime]]It sometimes amazes me how wrongly people can understand their game of choice: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20070502a

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... br]Because some things in that thread were far too stupid to go without comment.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

AlphaNerd at [unixtime wrote:1178298423[/unixtime]]I think it's "How many pages does Power Word: Whatever *really* take up in my spellbook?"

SRD wrote:To record an arcane spell in written form, a character uses complex notation that describes the magical forces involved in the spell.

I think that it's pretty fucking clear that you're not just writing the fucking word, wouldn't you agree? :screams:
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Weir
NPC

Post by Weir »

NineInchNall wrote:Quote: AlphaNerd at 1773 Fri May 4 2007

I think it's "How many pages does Power Word: Whatever *really* take up in my spellbook?"

Quote: SRD

To record an arcane spell in written form, a character uses complex notation that describes the magical forces involved in the spell.

I think that it's pretty fvcking clear that you're not just writing the fvcking word, wouldn't you agree? :screams:

Yeah, I would. I wonder if someone hits him in the head with a book with the word "spell" written on it. This would explain a lot. Perhaps its a fad.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

NineInchNall wrote:I think that it's pretty fvcking clear that you're not just writing the fvcking word, wouldn't you agree?
Not to mention that if anyone ever had the creativity to interpret the scribing as a set of formulas to figure how to curse someone, the mechanical fiasco known as truenaming magic would've never happened.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Nothing Squirrelloid can say will recover from not reading the opening paragraph of the article before posting. Just admit you lost man, that way Seeker can't bring it up in every single thread he wants to agrue against you in.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...But the specific guys he quoted are Wizards employees.

-Crissa
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

No really, how do you know that cause that article is missing the normal about the author bit.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
ObiWayneKenobi
NPC

Post by ObiWayneKenobi »

Squirrelloid's thread seems to have been deleted... I wonder why.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Looks like the last post was seeker being a fvck and saying it was a month late april fools joke and everyone he disagreed with were total and complete *something very long and censored*.

Isn't seeker just huggably sweet.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

He likes to pretend it.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I'll tell them to read this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Crap, I didn't know people were targetting other boards!
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I linked to a thread in the Neverwinter Nights 2 forums before.

Also, OMG! XYKON R T3H MAREY SU CUZ HE IZ POWERFULZ!!!11!!1!!ONE!
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I couldn't even bring myself to read beyond the first couple responses. It's as if people are incapable of recognizing when they're making definitions too broad or too narrow for the words to have any meaning.
Current pet peeves:
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... r][br]This seemed like your average train wreck in the making, but post #4 just floored me.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178434234[/unixtime]]http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... r][br]This seemed like your average train wreck in the making, but post #4 just floored me.
OMG! 'taking a PrC' = 'Powergaming' !!! :(
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178434234[/unixtime]]http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t ... r][br]This seemed like your average train wreck in the making, but post #4 just floored me.

It just seems to be another 'no true scotsman' thread, where nobody can be a roleplayer or a powergamer. Plus some extra stupid on top.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Which is compounded by the fact that no one is using the same definitions for the various terms that are bandied about.
Current pet peeves:
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

They're slang terms that have gone through years of arguement by redefinition, noone one the planet uses the same definitions.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

NineInchNall at [unixtime wrote:1178303916[/unixtime]]I think that it's pretty fvcking clear that you're not just writing the fvcking word, wouldn't you agree? :screams:

I think it's intutitively obvious to anyone who has ever heard someone pronounce a word differently than they did or anyone who has ever tried to figure out how a pronounciation guide in the dictionary works.

A power word is a precise set of sonic frequency combinations that involves changes in volume tone and overtones that must be done precisely in order to alter the structure of the multiverse around you. Trying to describe it is like trying to describe an apple ... at the molecular level! According to Shannon's information theory you're going to need a couple of pages to describe the details.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

So, what in the five fucks happened to my thread reeming WotC employees stupidity? I go away for a weekend and poof, no more thread?