It Comes in Threes: Tome IRC game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, demon!Toph will definitely be a damage character.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

For Valor wrote:I've got "disabling people" down pat--forcing constant grease and blindness effects every round is my tack. I can also stab people with pointy ice if necessary. (controller)
What shadow caster class are you using? Not the one in tome of magic, I hope?
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Acid it is then. As long as somebody has healing covered, then all is well.

I'm got traps and party face covered. I can also pack quite a healthy punch at short range, so as long as we aren't fighting people from afar I can contribute to combat.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'd like to see some wealth guidelines, particularly for magic items. Here's what I'm looking at right now:
[*] Small composite bow of terror (lesser magic item)
[*] Warsaddle of Tireless Pursuit (lesser magic item; bonus to Ride and both rider and mount don't need rest as long as they keep moving)
[*] Cloak of Resistance (minor magic item)

Cohort's magic items:
[*] Blindfold of the Bloodhound (lesser magic item; bonus to Survival and gives scent or upgrades scent to smell-based blindsight 30')
[*] Rime hauberk of the North Wind (minor magic item; flight as the spell)

I was considering other high-powered minor magic items such as a banner of haste or heroism, I'm not sure how much that would step on others' toes (or if it would be overpowered). I was also thinking of grabbing a few low level spell arrows to see how they work out. Things like open/close, acid splash, message, chill touch, and grease.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Catharz, here's what we're using. Pick 4 minor.
http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_ ... agic_Items
Minor means 1 bonus and 1 lesser quality.

Sidenote: High powered equipment means the characters are low powered.

Edit: My character (the only one in the party with it even on their list) won't get haste for another two levels. Like, at all. Having a magical item that grants haste is much, much better than what we're running with right now.
Last edited by ubernoob on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

ubernoob wrote:
For Valor wrote:I've got "disabling people" down pat--forcing constant grease and blindness effects every round is my tack. I can also stab people with pointy ice if necessary. (controller)
What shadow caster class are you using? Not the one in tome of magic, I hope?
hardly.

The class looks sooooo cool. And it plays off of the "Street Rat" background excellently.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

oh shit, right, backgrounds. I'll probably wind up using the raised by badger demons one...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

They're the same thing.
|
v
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

They're the same thing. It's the same material reformated for the wiki.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Pixels wrote:They're the same thing. It's the same material reformated for the wiki.
Yeah, I realized that after reading through it. There are some added item enhancements, but the basic terminology is the same.

So, here's the revised list of the four lesser (minor is 'bonus only') magic items allowed:
[*] Small composite bow of terror (1d6+2 damage, range increment 80', will save or shaken)
[*] All-around Vision war banner of Prayer (casts prayer at CL 5, can't be flanked)
[*] Sustaining cape of Heroism (user benefits from heroism at CL 5, doesn't need to eat or drink, and only has to sleep 2 hours a night)
[*] Sustaining rime hauberk barding of Fly (AC+5, ACP 4, ASP 3, user benefits from fly at CL 5, doesn't need to eat or drink, and only has to sleep 2 hours a night)

That's assuming that a 4th level cohort doesn't get any magic items.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

CatharzGodfoot wrote: [*] All-around Vision war banner of Prayer (casts prayer at CL 5, can't be flanked)
[*] Sustaining cape of Heroism (user benefits from heroism at CL 5, doesn't need to eat or drink, and only has to sleep 2 hours a night)
Both of these are better than the items everyone else actually has. Like, totally.

Prayer is a +1 to saves, hit, DCs, and skill checks and better in every way than a +2 cloak of resistance.

Heroism is +2 to saves and attack rolls, which is better in every way than a +2 cloak of resistance and a +2 magic weapon.

BoG is meant to get rid of bullshit bonuses. Those two items are 100% bullshit bonus. You're not playing a caster, but we are using Kaelik's tome errata.

Catharz, is it really that hard to just pick four off of a list? Stop being an asshole and play by the rules everyone else is playing by.
Last edited by ubernoob on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

isn't there also the potential to add a single spell of some kind? Like a 1st-level spell within whatever certain restrictions the BoG had.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

I think what uber is trying to say is that there is a specific injunction in the BoG against bullshit bonuses on items; if you want saves, get a 1/3 to saves item.

If you want to pick up a spell on an item, it should provide the same type of bonuses that the basic enchantments would (like Protection from Evil) - or even better, some interesting non-numeric trick.
Last edited by Pixels on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

When do you need the sheet and can I have just one item instead of four that does a bunch of cool things?
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

If we're playing this Monday, you'd need to have everything done and OK'd by then.

And no. The BoG limits you to eight items overall - so an item that consumes only one slot but does a big pile of stuff is considerably better than four items that each do a couple small things.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Dude, it's a flavour thing with you, isn't it, GoA? You've got some kind of raging hard on for samurai with insanely powerful armour or katanas?

that's fine, honestly it is, but go with four items, it's not even hard to fit these together...

Magic Katana- magic blade, magic handle, magic hilt, magic pommel/wrap/sheath. there you go, four items, one thing to carry around
Magic Armour- magic helm, magic breastplate, magic greaves, magic gauntlets.

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote: [*] All-around Vision war banner of Prayer (casts prayer at CL 5, can't be flanked)
Both of these are better than the items everyone else actually has. Like, totally.

Prayer is a +1 to saves, hit, DCs, and skill checks and better in every way than a +2 cloak of resistance.

Heroism is +2 to saves and attack rolls, which is better in every way than a +2 cloak of resistance and a +2 magic weapon.

BoG is meant to get rid of bullshit bonuses. Those two items are 100% bullshit bonus. You're not playing a caster, but we are using Kaelik's tome errata.

Catharz, is it really that hard to just pick four off of a list? Stop being an asshole and play by the rules everyone else is playing by.
I'm using the exact rules you linked me to.
The Book of Gears wrote:Minor Magic Items which do not provide a numeric benefit usually reproduce the effect of a spell, and are caster level 5 or less.
Prayer is a boon to everyone in the party, and it's a small bonus to a lot of things. I don't see it making a single character too powerful.

Uber, are you the one setting this up or is it Mask? I'm confused because I've seen near-continuous ranting from you at every thing I propose, and almost no input from from the guy who is ostensibly running the adventure.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Book of Gears wrote:Non-standard bonus types, or as we like to call them around the offce: bullshit bonus types do not exist. No,
you can't have a Sacred Bonus to your AC or an Insight Bonus to your skills. That stuff is straight up broken and
will push characters right off the random number generator. If all of your eight magic items are providing a bonus
of some sort, they most definitely should not be providing a bonus to the same number - that sort of thing really
does make the d20 system fall apart.
This is the bit to pay attention to, Catharz. Heroism in particular is pretty amazing for an item enchantment at this level - too amazing really. Prayer is more reasonable, but since it is a 'bullshit bonus' you absolutely should pass it by the DM.

And yes, Mask is the guy setting all this up. Uber's just always angry or something.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
The Book of Gears wrote:Minor Magic Items which do not provide a numeric benefit usually reproduce the effect of a spell, and are caster level 5 or less.
Stop being an asshole.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Stop being an asshole.
LOL I TROLL U
Seriously, though, barring barring spells that provide only numerical bonuses or penalties, what's reasonable and what's verboten? Are haste, blink, fly, and displacement reasonable minor magical abilities? Are they all OK, because they provide more than just numerical bonuses and penalties? Are the latter three OK, while the first is banned because it provides numerical bonuses (to attack, AC, and reflex saves), as well as providing a numerical increase to speed and an extra attack on a full attack? Are they all unusable, because they're good spell effects rather than shitty ones?

If Mask isn't too busy, maybe he could just take a look at the list I posted here, and change it into something that would be OK for the game. I realize that the work of the DM isn't easy, so I apologize for the foisting. However, I'd like to avoid antagonizing Uber any further, which looks inevitable if I continue my blind flailings into the china store that is the Book of Gears magic item generation system.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Actually, I withdraw from the game. I'm not going to play with assholes. This was supposed to be a light beer and pretzels game, but some asshole is trying to do number crunching to get every last +1 within the letter of the rules.

So yeah, have fun guys.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:Actually, I withdraw from the game. I'm not going to play with assholes. This was supposed to be a light beer and pretzels game, but some asshole is trying to do number crunching to get every last +1 within the letter of the rules.

So yeah, have fun guys.
Uber, if I'm already making the game not fun for you, I'll leave. You shouldn't have to quit because a new player comes in and starts ruining your shit.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Uber, please put the alcohol back in the fridge and drink a cup of coffee. One of our potential players decided to not take healing because you said so--losing you means we lose our only tank/healer. And, well fuck, that's a bad thing.

Catharz, heroism and prayer are solid powers. If you're trying to benefit the party, false life would be fun (and isn't too strong, IMO. These are supposed to be worth a standard action) and status is a possibility. Of course you could always just say "fuck it" and get something lulzy like magic missile.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
ubernoob wrote:Actually, I withdraw from the game. I'm not going to play with assholes. This was supposed to be a light beer and pretzels game, but some asshole is trying to do number crunching to get every last +1 within the letter of the rules.

So yeah, have fun guys.
Uber, if I'm already making the game not fun for you, I'll leave. You shouldn't have to quit because a new player comes in and starts ruining your shit.
That would be very nice of you. Obviously we have incompatible playstyles.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

...God dammit guys.

Please don't do this before the game starts. Pleeease don't sperg out like every other time we try to get a game started on this godforsaken board.

Catharz, if you are even still playing, first and foremost I said each person gets four BoG minor items. You currently have 5, and are angling for more. Off the bat, that's too much. Haste is a moderate weapon ability in the BoG if I recall, and I would stick Heroism there too. The cohort should probably *be* a magic item given the houserule I added specifically for Leadership and Cohorts to begin with. I'd give you a sheaf of 50 magic spellstoring arrows as a single magic item, with whatever split of 1st-2nd level spells or lower.

And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.

GoA: Just make your Samurai masturbation outfit 4 things that are flavored as one, this isn't that hard. And if you even want to get in this session, if we even get off the ground, it's gotta be in by Monday before 7PM CST.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.