More Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Re: More Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by tzor »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1204053697[/unixtime]]If these people insist on rolling for distribution of such a limited resource, why not also roll for your weapon selection, your skill point pool, your starting cash (oh wait! yes. 3.x does that. dumbasses.), and your favorite color.

Well if you want to get to real ROLL ROLE PLAYING, that is what you do literally. This was the way we did it in the RPI 1E AG RM HR Edition (Ardium Grimore - Role Master - House Rules) where you rolled 3d6 straight in a row, followed by random rolls to see, height/weight, nobility, how many brothers sisters you had, starting cash, and a whole bunch of shit I've totally forgotten about. Even the things you determined were strongly influenced by the rolls you made.

I believe in one of the editions of Traveller you could die in character creation, another example of ROLL ROLE PLAYING. Eventually ROLL ROLE PLAYING got pushed aside form role playing games because character creation was really a solo thing and because having a budy system to verify you weren't cheating is NOT FUN. But hey, why can't character creation be fun and exciting? What do you want to be today? Let's ask the MAGIC 8 BALL!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

It's an amusing game as long as you know what you're getting into. There are extreme examples, which I'm about to describe to you, but are wholly possible for a player to get (and many permutations in-between).

You can start off as the youngest bastard of a prostitute where all of the other siblings consider you their bitter enemies/rivals AND you're deeply in debt because of your mother (you owe 1650gp, due by the end of the month) AND you're already dishonored and thus suffer a 10% penalty to experience, -1 to all rolls, & training costs +10% more. Oh, and you have a personality 'quirk' that includes severe depression and an excessive hatred to one thing that ranges anywhere from dragons to humans.

Meanwhile, the guy who rolls well and ended up with a platinum spoon in his mouth, he's starting off with great honor (bonus XP, +1 to all rolls, -10% training cost), an extra 230gp and his father's weapon/armor/horse, a free deed to land, younger siblings who are deeply loyal to him, and an extra 5bp (basically what you use to buy feats with).

And this is just for your background.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Despite all of its flaws, I always felt that the auction system from the Amber RPG was an interesting mix of deterministic and non-deterministic. Every point spent is one you chose to spend, but the other players can move the goalposts on you.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Someone asked me to look into the rules for the new edition of Traveller.

Random character generation baby. I think you CAN die during character generation (difficult though). You sure as hell can be totally and utterly screwed.

You can walk out of character generation being a youthful 42 year old veteran with no aging penalties applied with a dozen skill points in all the right places, high ranks, good contacts, piles of cash, free items, maybe a free multi million dollar spaceship (or a large number of shares in one) and maybe the ability to teleport yourself between planets with your mind.

OR you can walk out of it the same age or younger (or even older) having suffered aging penalties having failed every career ever, including every term of drifter, having no ranks in anything, suffering crippling injuries, having no useful skill points, no free gear, no cash, no ship, a bunch of enemies as contacts, and tens of thousands of credits in medical debt.

I'll admit their character creation system is a game in itself, and in that sense at least it was engaging and interesting. An opportunity to totally screw you for the REST of the game, but you know, you could just sit down with a bunch of guys to generate and compare characters and call THAT the game.

Not exactly an RPG though.

Oh and the first time I used their random planet generation rules I generated a planet with no valid applicable trade status...
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

You know what I hardly realised I made that mention of the new Traveller on this particular thread.

So here is the link to where you too can download and experience their current free traveller rules set and its exciting means of creating middle aged crippled ex Marine's who kept &%(*#$* rolling Gambling as their randomized skill advancement AAAAAAH.

[counturl=137]At Mongoose of course...[/counturl]
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Ah, Mongoose...the "we'll publish anything" company. They make WotC's material look like models of restraint and precision balance.

I occasionally have the urge to slam together a manuscript in about 30 minutes and mail it off to Mongoose...I'm guessing they'd publish it.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

They also love any old roleplaying game with lots of randomness in character generation (see Runequest). Traveller is a natural fit for them.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Talisman at [unixtime wrote:1204078497[/unixtime]]Ah, Mongoose...the "we'll publish anything" company. They make WotC's material look like models of restraint and precision balance.

I occasionally have the urge to slam together a manuscript in about 30 minutes and mail it off to Mongoose...I'm guessing they'd publish it.

I suddenly have that urge myself. What have you got?
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Well, Talisman and I have Feybook. They'd probably snatch that right up.

And using Mongoose would mean Anets can stop worrying about the power balance of our contributions HARHARHAR
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Accesibility standards in documents is SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!!11

(Note: thread doesn't get good until about page 3 or so)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I rather liked GURPS Traveller. Sooooo crunchy.

-Crissa
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]

I apologize profusely for letting this go on so long. I have been very busy at both jobs lately.

The personal attacks will now stop. That entire thread tangent has been deleted and there is no need for a rehash.

[/TGFBS]
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.ph ... ][br]Check the last page. It seems that I'm wrong, fighters at high levels are just fine because the DCs to skill checks are low enough for a fighter to beat (?).

Oh, and when I mentioned that a fighter doesn't have a lot to do outside combat? That's been proven wrong time and time again.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Long story short: an idiot said nobody would take a class seriously because it was too powerful - it's not even powerful enough for the stated objective of playing the same game as spellcasters. I said I take it seriously, and would ask others to do the same. I'm not normally a fan of pack tactics, but in this case it actually is a logical counterpoint to his argument. Here.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Bigode wrote:Long story short: an idiot said nobody would take a class seriously because it was too powerful - it's not even powerful enough for the stated objective of playing the same game as spellcasters. I said I take it seriously, and would ask others to do the same. I'm not normally a fan of pack tactics, but in this case it actually is a logical counterpoint to his argument. Here.
I got the same dumbass responses from those boards with my Runic Knight. So yes I will help in the pact tactics.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Thank you.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1003671

I know we don't do fighter threads anymore but this one premise is just plain not good at all.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75700

Starts off with some good and bad arguments about the math behind power attack, gets derailed into a ONE TRUE ROLEPLAYING argument, then turns into a mix of bad math and bad arguments.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Here is a class I did..
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1011318

I pretty much got the reaction I expected from it.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Looks like an Arcane Paladin.

-Crissa
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Leress wrote:Here is a class I did..

After all, was it serious indeed (sorry, I can't help, with the Dead Levels stuff ...)? If yes, still working on it? And why the fvcking hell you posted it there instead of here in the first place (barring the joke hypothesis)?
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

In the "I just found a pointy stick...should I poke myself with it?" department...

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1020469
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Bigode wrote:

After all, was it serious indeed (sorry, I can't help, with the Dead Levels stuff ...)? If yes, still working on it? And why the fvcking hell you posted it there instead of here in the first place (barring the joke hypothesis)?
Yes, it was serious (I was testing a hypothesis).
I am still working on it
I posted it there to test my hypothesis.

Hypothesis-Will combining all of the NPC classes together + (articles of uselessness)+ bonus feats + a couple of new things, will they read the class fully or just say "it has too much on the page so it must be over powered"

Not once in the thread did I hear anyone talk about the ability that gives you a magic item (magic scroll ability), or about tricky style. Just "it has spells, good BAB, OMG 19 feats, it's overpowered"

There would be no point of posting it here since is was mostly a test of how the WOTC people would say. The only people who seem to actually look at the class were bkdubs, and a couple of the Denizens. Also this was not a Tome balanced class.

I knew the class wasn't overpowered and it was heavy in the MAD department. The casting wasn't nowhere near level-appropriate. The bonus feats were not like the fighters (since it not a damn fighter).

I just wanted to show that most people don't read the bloody classes and just have stupid knee jerk reactions.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

To be honest, I didn't read the class either. I was actually just responding to what everyone else stated, and hadn't actually bothered to look at the abilities.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Leress wrote:
Bigode wrote:

Yes, it was serious (I was testing a hypothesis).
I am still working on it
I posted it there to test my hypothesis.

Hypothesis-Will combining all of the NPC classes together + (articles of uselessness)+ bonus feats + a couple of new things, will they read the class fully or just say "it has too much on the page so it must be over powered"

Not once in the thread did I hear anyone talk about the ability that gives you a magic item (magic scroll ability), or about tricky style. Just "it has spells, good BAB, OMG 19 feats, it's overpowered"

There would be no point of posting it here since is was mostly a test of how the WOTC people would say. The only people who seem to actually look at the class were bkdubs, and a couple of the Denizens. Also this was not a Tome balanced class.

I knew the class wasn't overpowered and it was heavy in the MAD department. The casting wasn't nowhere near level-appropriate. The bonus feats were not like the fighters (since it not a damn fighter).

I just wanted to show that most people don't read the bloody classes and just have stupid knee jerk reactions.
The results of your experiment are disturbing. But by all means, keep doing more.