Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Prak_Anima wrote:Image
My train of thought when first seeing that:
  1. Ok, that's pretty funny.
    Wait, a snorkal? What about the Zora's Tunic?
    Wait a minute... :rofl:
Edit: Added spoiler-copy of image due to page break.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Was too entertained to sblock image.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I notice that 中国 didn't make the list...
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

[acts paranoid and suspicious]

Look! The bottom of the image is truncated. Maybe it was there, but the government deleted it!

[/acts paranoid and suspicious]
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

This seems to possibly be the 'original':

I'm not sure why the Chinese labels are on the one with the Euro. This one is without:
Notice how the text gets more heavily pixelated past Japan.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The text changed font. Not sure how you saw pixelation but not that.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Technically Leia tried to rescue Han, only to be captured and turned into couch candy. It was a pretty good try, though.

Janeway was a criminally incompetent asshole who only accomplished anything because the writers were bigger idiots than they wrote her to be.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

That image was posted by George Takei on his Facebook, and Janeway (as well as Leia) is an add-on, so I can understand the favortism.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Put my vote down for Janeway as worst captain (although that last one with the weepy intro music is awfully close, I blame overall horrid writing for that, and not the actor in any way).
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Uh, the character really should be the writing. The enjoyment you get from the show is a mix of writing, cast and other stuff, but the actual character, and how good or bad they are, depends on how they're written, not who is playing them. So really, "that's a case of bad writing, not the actor" should make it worse.

Though maybe that just reflects how much I want to punch people when they say "___ is going to be great, it has ___ in it!" (see: Johnny Depp makes anything sell, the guy who played Giles in Buffy becoming "the reason to watch Repo: the Genetic Opera" rather than it being a fucking awesome horror-musical, and so on).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

When you say the character really should be the writing, do you mean that Janeway should be the writing or Kate Mulgrew should be the writing.

Incidentally I'm not too sure what you mean by "should be the writing."

When it comes to acting, I've always been a fan of method acting. Brando, De Niro, Christian Bale, and Johnny Depp (not so much) are all method actors. To be convincing is to take a script or simple character descriptions and then add both your own personal experience as a human being & experience as the character role (this gets hard very quickly)

--

To throw my two cents into the worst Star Trek captain, I would have to say Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Good acting can make up for a certain amount of bad writing - if the dialogue is wooden or hokey or otherwise sub-par, some combination of charm, irony, or emoting can overcome that. That effect is basically the only thing that makes watching Babylon 5 or Fringe bearable.

What good acting cannot defeat is terrible plotting. Janeway was written to take really objectively bad actions and inactions all the time, and there's no amount of acting that would make those decisions not terrible.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

StarWars Episode 1 through 3 are great examples of how good actors just cannot do anything about horrible scripts. Ewan McGregore is the only actor who managed to come across as not horrid, and that's because he's a great actor, who had way more latitude.

Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen are both excellent actors. But in those movies, they come across as on par with Will Farrel.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Good acting can make up for a certain amount of bad writing - if the dialogue is wooden or hokey or otherwise sub-par, some combination of charm, irony, or emoting can overcome that. That effect is basically the only thing that makes watching Babylon 5 or Fringe bearable.
That also describes the First Dr. Who. You would have thought that they had gotten the actors right off of the BBC Radio lot with a three week course in how to make expressions. Otherwise they stand like statues during dialogue.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Koumei wrote:Uh, the character really should be the writing. The enjoyment you get from the show is a mix of writing, cast and other stuff, but the actual character, and how good or bad they are, depends on how they're written, not who is playing them. So really, "that's a case of bad writing, not the actor" should make it worse.

Though maybe that just reflects how much I want to punch people when they say "___ is going to be great, it has ___ in it!" (see: Johnny Depp makes anything sell, the guy who played Giles in Buffy becoming "the reason to watch Repo: the Genetic Opera" rather than it being a fucking awesome horror-musical, and so on).
Well, writing, acting and star-power draw are all different things.

A script will give basic directions - something like"<character> enters room angrily and bellows "what did you do this time!" at <other character>. The actor's job is to interpret whether that means:
  • kicking in the door, throwing something, pointing and stammering "you, you, what <pause>... What did you do this time?!"
  • flinging the door wide so it slams, standing completely still in the doorway and yelling the line from across the width of the stage/set.
  • a controlled pacing into the <other character>'s personal space and delivering the line in an over-enunciated mock whisper while vibrating slightly to indicate tension and repressed rage.
  • running into the room, slapping the <other character> in the back of the head and saying "Hey dumbass, what did you do this time?"
  • Some other combination of actions and delivery indicating anger
And whichever way the actor plays it, their job is to make sure that the rest of their character's actions and delivery match up with the decisions they made about actions and delivery in that scene. If they decide the character's version of anger is kicking doors and throwing things, then it becomes inconsistent if the use the controlled tension and repressed rage for a second angry scene. Now some authors and directors, (*cough* Samuel Beckett ) are very very precise about how actors should play things and how many milliseconds each pause is, but others are exceedingly loose and will give actors free reign to rewrite lines - but there is always some room for interpretation by the actor.

And then Star Power is something else entirely. Without knowing anything else, I can say with confidence that a Jackie Chan movie will have Kung Fu fighting, a Will Farrel movie will have lowbrow comedy and a Hugh Grant movie will be a romance. I can also tell you which one I'm willing to see in a theater, which one I'll likely rent and which one I will ignore totally based solely on those genres. None of those "actors" really play notably different characters in most of their movies, and as a consumer, I don't really care - their names alone tell me useful info about the movies they appear in.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Um, actually, deciding what that means is traditionally the director's job. Actually doing those things is the actor's job, although good ones will also give the director suggestions.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

sabs wrote:Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen are both excellent actors. But in those movies, they come across as on par with Will Farrel.
Hey, that's just not fair.

Will Ferrel is actually amusing, unlike the acting in the prequels.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Will Farrel is only amusing in voice work. His face seems to send out some kind of "hate me" vibe...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Now for a picture that is quite awesome.

edit: I accidentally copied the large image rather than a smaller one.

Those interested in the larger one should look here.
Last edited by Cynic on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

sabs wrote:StarWars Episode 1 through 3 are great examples of how good actors just cannot do anything about horrible scripts.
If I recall word on the street was it was a good example of how good actors cannot overcome insanely bad Direction.

Some of the stories about what Lucas was demanding from the actors were pretty crazy shit, but looking at the resulting performances... seem pretty credible in retrospect.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »