Why do people fetishize Magic Tea Party

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

Kaelik wrote: Except of course that unlike my suggested preface, that is not true. I don't read game books on Saturday nights and I do have a social life.

On the other hand, it is apparently your claim that it takes you ten minutes to look up rules. Which really must mean you are literally the dumbest person in the fucking universe.
Based on your social development and asshole personality, I'm guessing that you indeed don't have any kind of social life, and that you probably are that angry anti-social asshole staying home at night and reading your D&D books because you have nothing better to do. I'd be surprised if any human being could stomach dealing with you for an entire game session, let alone a campaign. You can deny it all you like, but I see through you.

So keep on throwing your insults and acting elitist. We both know you're just a bitchass with no friends who is angry at the world. I feel sorry for you, because I know that beneath all your insults you're concealing a lot of rejection and pain. If only you tried being nice to people instead of being an asshole, maybe you'd find a friend one day. It'd certainly make you a happier person, because right now I can tell that you're a miserable human being, totally unhappy with his current life.

That being said, you're getting put back on my ignore list. Talking to you isn't getting me anywhere and I have better things to do with my time.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Cyberzombie wrote:You can deny it all you like, but I see through you.
Oh goody, you can see through me, you majestic psychic you. You can see that I don't have any friends from your computer screen.

Look, I understand that you feel like an idiot for being so wrong. And don't get me wrong, you definitely are an idiot. But a better response to being completely wrong in an argument would be to just stop posting, and then come back in two pages when no one remembers you were wrong.

Or really anything but declare that even though you having nothing that even passes for an argument, you are still automatically right because by your clairvoyant powers you have determined that everyone who disagrees with you is a basement dwelling mouth breather with no friends, and you must be right because they talk about D&D on the internet.

But you, you true soul, are the glorious friendly nice guy who has thousands, nay millions, nay hundreds of thousands of friends, and you only spend time on internet forums talking about D&D because your clairvoyant powers would go to waste otherwise.
Cyberzombie wrote:So keep on throwing your insults and acting elitist.
I really don't want to have to insult you. I want to insult you because I don't like you. But you make it mandatory, because literally every single post you feel the need to remind us that it takes you ten fucking minutes to look up a rule. Wholly fucking shit. Ten goddam minutes. So fucking long. And you just keep demanding we acknowledge that you are too stupid to look up rules faster than that. Over and over.
Cyberzombie wrote:We both know you're just a bitchass with no friends who is angry at the world. I feel sorry for you, because I know that beneath all your insults you're concealing a lot of rejection and pain. If only you tried being nice to people instead of being an asshole, maybe you'd find a friend one day. It'd certainly make you a happier person, because right now I can tell that you're a miserable human being, totally unhappy with his current life.
Oh yeah man, my life sucks. I have to go work for a judge, and write opinions and memos telling people they are wrong. And they I have to leave at 4:30 on Fridays because Federal Court is awesome, and then I have to play in a lawyer softball league on Saturdays. Man, every day I just wish I could be some stupid shit for brains who works a service job and whines on the internet about how people who are mean don't get anywhere in life and are miserable.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I nearly choked on my food when I read "hundreds of thousands".
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Cyberzombie wrote:
Kaelik wrote: Except of course that unlike my suggested preface, that is not true. I don't read game books on Saturday nights and I do have a social life.

On the other hand, it is apparently your claim that it takes you ten minutes to look up rules. Which really must mean you are literally the dumbest person in the fucking universe.
Based on your social development and asshole personality, I'm guessing that you indeed don't have any kind of social life, and that you probably are that angry anti-social asshole staying home at night and reading your D&D books because you have nothing better to do. I'd be surprised if any human being could stomach dealing with you for an entire game session, let alone a campaign. You can deny it all you like, but I see through you.

So keep on throwing your insults and acting elitist. We both know you're just a bitchass with no friends who is angry at the world. I feel sorry for you, because I know that beneath all your insults you're concealing a lot of rejection and pain. If only you tried being nice to people instead of being an asshole, maybe you'd find a friend one day. It'd certainly make you a happier person, because right now I can tell that you're a miserable human being, totally unhappy with his current life.

That being said, you're getting put back on my ignore list. Talking to you isn't getting me anywhere and I have better things to do with my time.
Arguing with Kaelik won't get you anywhere. He's an asshole because he likes being an asshole.

Secondly... Is this thread still fucking going on?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Wiseman wrote:Is this thread still fucking going on?
Apparently, though it is now seemingly about Kaelik's personal life. Because yeah like THAT is suddenly relevant.

Personally i choose to believe that real life Kaelik is a softly spoken cute little octogenarian grandma who spends all her time not on this forum raising injured kittens and giving them as gifts to cheer up sad orphans.

It's doesn't make Kaelik the goodly kitten grandma right or wrong about any damn thing. And anyone trying to pull that "Your a meanie poo poo head IN REAL LIFE, SO THERE that makes you wrong!' bullshit is yeah... hm...

I mean SURE, throw in the insults, but don't wrap them back around and pretend they are your arguments.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
gamerGoyf
1st Level

Post by gamerGoyf »

Wiseman wrote:Secondly... Is this thread still fucking going on?
It seem so, honestly eyecancer aside I feel like this has been a very productive thread. Sure Zak never posted anything of value but the counter arguments against him were really good and can be repurposed for future debates. Which essentially means mission accomplished.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

PhoneLobster wrote:Personally i choose to believe that real life Kaelik is a softly spoken cute little octogenarian grandma who spends all her time not on this forum raising injured kittens and giving them as gifts to cheer up sad orphans.
Sometimes I give them to children with cancer too.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

with a side of fries and a fresh salad?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

...You Lost Me wrote:I nearly choked on my food when I read "hundreds of thousands".
That reference will never get old, just because how desperately that fucker needed to believe it, and how much effort was spent trying to justify complete nonsense. It was almost a religious experience.
Last edited by Voss on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Cyberzombie wrote:

Cyberzombie, you just won the title of biggest fucking idiot on this thread. And seeing all the dumb shit that's been said for the last 21+ pages, that's quite an achievement.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

phlapjackage wrote: *cough* SR5 *cough*
You know? This is the best argument the Rulings vs. Rules folks have. I mean, it's basically straight Oberoni, but it's an argument. And it's their best argument.

Shadowrun 5th edition is unplayable as released. Some of the necessary rules simply don't exist. What rules do exist are often in direct contradiction of other rules, create divide by zero errors, or just generate slog fests that would take far longer than a single evening to actually roll out. Back in 1977, AD&D was released with all the page citations simply saying "q.v." with no indication at all where one was supposed to quod vide.

So obviously, in order to actually play those games, you need to constantly fill in things with mind caulk. So the argument goes that because mind caulk is necessary, that it is therefore good. Which is false of course.

SR5 would be a better game if the rules worked as-is. The fact that you need constant rulings to keep the game from falling apart is because the game is neither well written nor well designed. If it was better designed and better written, you wouldn't have this problem. And you wouldn't need all these rulings.

Which gets us back to an earlier thing Zak was vocally, though ineffectually denying: the Rulings not Rules argument is in essence just a restatement of Oberoni. The rulings are only necessary, only useful because of bad rules. They don't excuse the bad rules from being bad.

-Username17
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

So, which TTRPG has the biggest amount of MTP wankery and which one has the least?
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Fatal and Fatal, for different definitions of the words "wank" and "tea".
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

FrankTrollman wrote: Which gets us back to an earlier thing Zak was vocally, though ineffectually denying: the Rulings not Rules argument is in essence just a restatement of Oberoni. The rulings are only necessary, only useful because of bad rules. They don't excuse the bad rules from being bad.
No, not quite. Oberoni is a defense of bad rules. The rules-lite crowd believes in fewer rules. They don't want a bad rule, in fact they don't want a rule at all.

Here's an example: A PC ends up seducing the barmaid and has a night of wild sex. How do we know if the barmaid gets pregnant? Common sense would say the chance is somewhere between 0% and 100%, but we have no rule telling us what that chance actually is. Do we need Random Menstrual Cycle Table 2A - Half-Elves and a fertility roll? Or do we just say it's fine to MTP the thing and get on with the adventure.

Now I'm guessing that 99% of the people here are going to recommend just using MTP, because this is not something we want or need rules for. It bogs down the game consulting the table and adds nothing to the game.

And everyone draws the line somewhere where they decide the rules are extraneous. For every person, that line is different, but it's not some kind of crazy alien thought process going on in a rules-lite player's mind. Rules-heavy players make rulings too, it's just that they want more things hard coded than the rules-lite guy does.

Even among rules-heavy players, there's going to be a debate as to what requires rules and what doesn't. And at some point even the most hardcore takes a look at the Shadowrun matrix rules (any edition) and says "This shit is way too complex."
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Having that table is not necessary for being rules-heavy, and not including it does not make you rules-light.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Cyberzombie wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: Which gets us back to an earlier thing Zak was vocally, though ineffectually denying: the Rulings not Rules argument is in essence just a restatement of Oberoni. The rulings are only necessary, only useful because of bad rules. They don't excuse the bad rules from being bad.
No, not quite. Oberoni is a defense of bad rules. The rules-lite crowd believes in fewer rules. They don't want a bad rule, in fact they don't want a rule at all.
The major complaint that the majority on the Den have against the 'rulings not rules' community is an insistence that good rules are not necessary or desirable, because if the rules are bad, the DM will just change them anyway.

It should be obvious if the rules are good, it will not be required for a DM to change them. Therefore, good rules are better than bad rules. In the case of bad rules, a good DM has no choice but to change them. If the rule is good, the DM can change it if he likes (hopefully for an equally good rule that better suits the tastes of his particular group) - but is not required to.

If a bad rule puts a burden on all groups, a good rule only burdens groups that desire to 'tinker'. Thus, a good rule is better in all situations than a bad rule. The fact that DMs can alter bad rules is no defense for their existence.

The suggestion that 'fertility rates of half-eleven females' is a desirable rule is reductio ad absurdum. A good rule facilitates the playing of the game. Unless your game has a major focus on paternity and inheritance, determining whether a particular tryst results in conception, or whether said conception results in a healthy delivery is likely outside of the scope of the game. There are no published games that require conception rules to 'function' within the expected design parameters.

The 'Book of Erotic Fantasy' (I think - I'm not familiar with it) offers a 'bolt-on' system for these types of rules if a group desires them. But lacking these rules is not an issue for most gamers. Not having rules for situations that aren't part of the expected game play is a Strawman. In most fantasy games, having rules for fighting in a zero-g vacuum is not necessary. Failure to include them is not necessarily a failure in game design. If zero-g vacuum combat is a regular and expected part of the game, the failure to include rules to cover it is a failure. Not having a rule for a necessary aspect of the game is the same as having a bad rule. If you have a good rule, you can use it. If you have a bad rule, you have to make something up. If you have no rule, you have to make something up. The only advantage of 'no rule' is that it takes up less space in the book than a 'bad rule'.

Not having a rule may be marginally better than a bad rule, but that's subject to a whole bunch of caveats and preferences (because a bad rule could be a good starting point for building a better rule for some groups).

The 'rulings not rules' crowd haven't been arguing for replacing only bad rules for the last several pages (which is actually a respectable position - though there may be advantages to identifying the bad rules and replacing them PRIOR to play) - they have been arguing for replacing rules they don't even know. This means that there is at least a good possibility that some groups that favor the play style replace a good rule with a bad rule. While the bad rule might be marginally quicker than looking up the 'official' rule, any benefit it might have is completely undermined by a postion like Zak S has maintained where the bad rule will be used in all future situations (for the sake of consistency).

In the event that a bad rule is NOT maintained (and precedent is abandoned) you have the potential downside of inconsistent rules and bad feelings among players because sometimes they were on the wrong side of a 'too favorable' or 'too unfavorable' ruling. If rulings are too variable, the GM may appear capricious, and it is easy to blame the GM for 'bad things' that happen to a character. Consistent rules help protect the GM's position as a 'neutral arbiter'. Abandoning the published rules especially if the players are familiar with them carries with it some risks, even for a mature group of friends, that should not make it the 'default option' without reason and/or agreement from the players. Defaulting every disagreement to 'shut up or leave the group' is not the hallmark of mature groups of friends. If a player doesn't think a ruling is reasonable, some method of reconciling the different opinions at the table is crucial. Reference to the rules (if they address the issue) is a fair and impartial starting point.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Cyberzombie wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Which gets us back to an earlier thing Zak was vocally, though ineffectually denying: the Rulings not Rules argument is in essence just a restatement of Oberoni. The rulings are only necessary, only useful because of bad rules. They don't excuse the bad rules from being bad.
The rules-lite crowd is different from the Rulings not Rules crowd. Being light on the rules means you take into account context and go with what makes the scene good. Zak's stance is that the DM & Designer are the one and the same, and on-the-spot rulings become permanent rules for that game because they are both better & faster.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

deaddmwalking wrote:The suggestion that 'fertility rates of half-eleven females' is a desirable rule is reductio ad absurdum.
Reductio ad absurdum is not a fallacy.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I think it would be closest to a form of red herring, since the hypothetical game for which the rule would actually be important or relevant is one that no one has expressed interest in playing or designing.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

...You Lost Me wrote:Having that table is not necessary for being rules-heavy, and not including it does not make you rules-light.
You missed my point then. My point is that rules-heavy and rules-light is a spectrum, it's not a yes/no as the majority here are advocating.

There are indeed people who have written RPG rules for sex. It's a minority that uses it, but it happens. On the other end of the spectrum you've got games like Dungeon World, that hardly qualify as a rules system at all, yet some people play that too. The majority of gamers fall somewhere in-between. I'm more of a moderate myself, as I've been called both too rules-heavy and too rules-light by different groups. The majority posters here tend to lean on the rules-heavy side, so you'll see me as being a rules-lite.

The point is, it's never all-or-nothing. Every person that advocates rules-heavy has at some point made a ruling and everyone that is rules-lite has at some point followed a rule. The sooner you realize it's a sliding scale and not an absolute one, the more you'll see it's just all about preference and that the other side isn't the enemy.

I realize it's human nature to divide into two camps and then demonize the other side, but lets try to show a bit of insight and not fall into that trap.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Apocalypse World has rules for sex and was written partially to get sex. It has less rules overall than Dungeon World.

Your spectrum is kind of fucked.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Cyberzombie wrote:
...You Lost Me wrote:Having that table is not necessary for being rules-heavy, and not including it does not make you rules-light.
You missed my point then. My point is that rules-heavy and rules-light is a spectrum, it's not a yes/no as the majority here are advocating.

There are indeed people who have written RPG rules for sex. It's a minority that uses it, but it happens. On the other end of the spectrum you've got games like Dungeon World, that hardly qualify as a rules system at all, yet some people play that too. The majority of gamers fall somewhere in-between. I'm more of a moderate myself, as I've been called both too rules-heavy and too rules-light by different groups. The majority posters here tend to lean on the rules-heavy side, so you'll see me as being a rules-lite.

The point is, it's never all-or-nothing. Every person that advocates rules-heavy has at some point made a ruling and everyone that is rules-lite has at some point followed a rule. The sooner you realize it's a sliding scale and not an absolute one, the more you'll see it's just all about preference and that the other side isn't the enemy.

I realize it's human nature to divide into two camps and then demonize the other side, but lets try to show a bit of insight and not fall into that trap.
I'm not sure what crusade you're fighting against the rules heavy crowd but that battle is not what is or was being fought here.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Cyberzombie wrote:You missed my point then. My point is that rules-heavy and rules-light is a spectrum, it's not a yes/no as the majority here are advocating.
The no rules wankers were told time and again "Rules are important, even in Rules Lite games, which still have rules!"

And their response time and again was "Nuh ah! If rules matter then how do Rules Lite games even exist, as they have no rules!"

Apparently "WTF we just TOLD you rules lite games HAVE rules that matter" was a response that even now continues to fall on deaf ears.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
K
King

Post by K »

Like I said, there is no war between rules-light and rules-heavy people.

There is a war between rules (heavy or light) people and the "we are too good/bad for rules" people who think that they have important things to say about rules that everyone should listen to.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

The "rules heavy" crowd simply refuses to acept that not everyone else needs as many rules as they do for their game. That's about it.

No one says rules shouldn't be good - but a good rule you don't need is still a rule you don't need to learn, or look up. If you don't need rules for sex then even if there were the perfect sex rules the cost of looking them up or learning them would be too high for what they offer.