Is Pippin a Bard?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Jack_Lurch
Apprentice

Is Pippin a Bard?

Post by Jack_Lurch »

I accept that Samwise is a paladin, and probably Frodo too, as he needs the Charisma bonus to his Will Save, but what about the other hobbits?

A friend that I saw it woth last night says Pippin is a bard?! I say he's a crappy one of he wasn't able to sway Faromir's father that he was being an idiot while singing to him, but he insists that Pippin does other Bardish things.

Of course, when we left the theatre it was 20 am, so the discussion was put on hold, but I'm curious what you guys think?

-Jack
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Is Pippin a Bard?

Post by Username17 »

Pippin is a Rogue. He has enough Bluff skill to persuade Treebeard to do declare war on Saruman when diplomatic channels had failed, and he needs to be flanking with Gandalf in order to kill Orcish Warriors with one hit.

He has a lot of climb and enough sneak to set fires right next to guards without being noticed. He has escape artist, and enough Use Magic Device to get useful information out of a Palantir without giving Sauron any information, and enough Search skill to find it in the first place.

Pippin is totally a Rogue. Merry is probably a Fighter. Sam is, indeed, totally a paladin (and a pretty hard core one at that).

-Username17
Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

Actually I would rule that he attacked from surpise by hiding behind the much larger Gandalf to kill an Orc in one blow. Doesn't change the fact the he is a Rogue.

I always thought that was sort of the point. He's sneaky (Dex), Quick Witted (Int), but a damn fool of a Took (Wis). That's classic rogue.
Jack_Lurch
Apprentice

Post by Jack_Lurch »

Frank wrote:
Sam is, indeed, totally a paladin (and a pretty hard core one at that).

He smites evil and has a good will save. How does that make him "hard core"?

And would you agree that Frodo is a paladin also?

-Jack
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I would say that after seeing RotK, regardless of what D&D class fits Sam the best, Sam is hardcore. :uptosomething:
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I totally agree with the Count - Sam is hardcore!

And I totally agree with Frank - Pippin is definitely a rogue. Just because someone sings doesn't mean they're a bard. It just means they sing. :uptosomething:

And since rogues get Perform in class, it wouldn't really surprise me if Pippin had a rank or two in Perform: Singing.

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Psifon
1st Level

Post by Psifon »

Actually, I think Frodo is an Aristorcrat. He comes from a "good family" in the sire, he is educated, has a good will save, but really has no combat abilities to speak of. Sam is his loyal servant. He knows how to use a blade, but it is something that he avoids at all costs. He also has the Iron Will feat, and a high wisdom score.

All that says Aristocrat all around.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Although Frodo has the Improved Bullrush feat.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: They all have you fooled.

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Bah.

Gandalf is not one, but two different Death Slaadi,
Aragorn was an incubus, Frodo is a doppleganger, Elrond is a Kolyarut, Eowyn was a Rakshasa and Shelob's webs are actually Mimics.

And until you can point me towards text from the book that indicates they were hit with Dispel Magic or passed through an Anti-Magic field, I refuse to see why I should believe otherwise.

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

That is perhaps, the best thing I've heard in a while. Makes perfect sense, too.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ramnza »

I agree, Pipin is a rogue and Samwise just oozes with Paladine-gaging-goodness. So what's Merry, or do we just not care?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Ramnza wrote:
So what's Merry, or do we just not care?

Frank wrote:
Merry is probably a Fighter.

Game On,
fbmf
Ramnza
Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ramnza »

I'm thinking of when Merry was a fighter. When was Merry a fighter?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Merry, fighting, battlefield?

He wasn't as good a fighter as Samwise, but that seemed because of stats, possibly xp, more than anything.

-Crissa
rapanui
Knight

Post by rapanui »

Aghast. That word perfectly describes my reaction to this thread. Then again, I'm a man that says "I rollled a 20 on my cooking check!" when he correctly flips an omelette.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...So does my spouse.

If only I could get her to run a game or something!

-Crissa