Edisons of the Coast

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Edisons of the Coast

Post by Prak »

Wizards has established a clause in their Forum ToS stating that all material submitted to the boards becomes their property. As I understand it, they cannot, legally, use material posted prior to the enstatement of this clause, however, to avoid theft of intellectual property, I encourage anyone who posted any material they hold precious to the wizards boards to remove it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Re: Edisons of the Coast

Post by the_taken »

Can they actually legally make money off of anything posted? I can understand this clause to shut up those that wave the "freedom of speech" card, when they want to post amoral and racist/sexist/stupidist statements.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think that as long as they have provided people an opportunity to learn of this, then yes, they can.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

STICKIN' IT TO THE MAN
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

All the stuff I put on there they an have.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Leress at [unixtime wrote:1187927848[/unixtime]]All the stuff I put on there they an have.

Word.

I haven't posted my best material there. I keep it all off line in a secret location.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Could you please point out where, specifically, this clause is mentioned?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Heheheh, the mind flayer is performing the Yu-Gi-Oh Mind Crush...

Anyway, I also don't mind if they keep the crap I posted there. Let's see...

"You're a moron."
"Learn to read."
"You're entitled to your opinion, but you're still wrong."
"No, that's utter crap, you could give that monster an LA +0 and it'll still be shafted."
"Are you on crack?"

etc.

Seriously. They can keep my insults. The only rule-stuff I thought up and posted there was back before I understood balance. (and what affects it). "Ooh, 4+Int skills, Heritage feats at levels 1, 5, 10, 15 and 20 and a d6 Hit die will completely fix Sorcerers and make them as good as the Wizard."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Caedrus at [unixtime wrote:1187935062[/unixtime]]Could you please point out where, specifically, this clause is mentioned?

http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/Misc/Ind ... egalnotice
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I think they have stated that the clause is a CYA clause and they have no intention of specifically ripping off people's ideas without proper compensation. The problem is when they are working on an idea and someone independently publishes on the site the idea before they publish it.

Mind you I can no longer find the thread where the official stated this ... consider this heresay until proven otherwise. You may resume your parinoia.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Stuff like that is difficult to enforce because the rights could have been given to someone else and reposted without the *rights holders* permission.

So yeah I'd say it's probably an arse covering exercise, actually ripping off someone elses IP wholesale is unlikely.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

I'd imagine that you're also not allowed to post copyrighted material.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Yeah, but because I've violated the TOS doesn't mean that the rights holders rights are impacted.

Which is why WoTC trying to use material on the boards in their own public is probably a high risk exercise.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I know I'm being paranoid, but I want to protect my stuff. It's knee jerk, but I don't like what wizards is doing.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I make Will save versus Bullshit Lawyering attack (Ex).

Quite simply: no. My stuff is mine, legal or not. I may not be articulate on the matter, but that dictum just wrong.

Not that I've posted much of value on Wizards in the last 2-3 years anyway... :bolt:
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Interested2
NPC

Post by Interested2 »

They are indeed Edisons of the Coast in the sense that they torture puppies and kittens.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Interested2 at [unixtime wrote:1188183290[/unixtime]]They are indeed Edisons of the Coast in the sense that they torture puppies and kittens.

actually I was referring to the fact that edison stole the work of his undergrads/interns/lab assisstants/etc. but it's good to see I'm not the only one who doesn't fawn over the idiot...

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That TOS clause has failed in court at least once (see Yahoo! vs volunteers) so it's not really a CYA but a poor attempt to say that all material submitted to them is theirs - which is a clause that has been supported.

Just remember to make point not to publish things on their website first - that means that the publisher of record is the prior one, not them, and their submit clause can't be used.

On a more relevant point... Who wouldn't want them to use the rules suggestions posted by themselves?

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1188183453[/unixtime]]
Interested2 at [unixtime wrote:1188183290[/unixtime]]They are indeed Edisons of the Coast in the sense that they torture puppies and kittens.

actually I was referring to the fact that edison stole the work of his undergrads/interns/lab assisstants/etc. but it's good to see I'm not the only one who doesn't fawn over the idiot...

Tesla was the man.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1188186058[/unixtime]]That TOS clause has failed in court at least once (see Yahoo! vs volunteers) so it's not really a CYA but a poor attempt to say that all material submitted to them is theirs - which is a clause that has been supported.

Just remember to make point not to publish things on their website first - that means that the publisher of record is the prior one, not them, and their submit clause can't be used.

On a more relevant point... Who wouldn't want them to use the rules suggestions posted by themselves?

-Crissa

good to know.

count wrote:Tesla was the man.

hell yeah.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Tesla even looked cooler.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Russia has all the cooler sciences, ranging from winning the space race and (to this day) ESP experiments. As an American, I'm torn between an attitude of "hey, but this isn't such a bad place to live" and "wow we really do suck compared to Russia."

They have proved psi exists and the rest of the world still goes about nosepicking and wondering if telepathy is a farce???? :razz:

Tesla is awesome. Glad your guys brought him up hahaa

But at least our American food is good. Mostly.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

They have proved psi exists? Sweet.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

PSI? Pounds per Square Inch ... yea that exists. :tongue:

The United States is still the nation of Ben Franklyn, who was the first American Scientist who had a cult following ... oddly enough in France. I mean he slept late, he drank too much, he was good friends with the Marquis de Sade, and he was beloved in France!

Edison, on the other hand invented (actually one of his lackys - Harold P. Brown did the dirty deed) the electric chair because he wanted to give the screws to a competitor (George Westinghouse) whose idea of AC current was superior to his idea of DC current.

George Westinghouse, Jr ... HE ROCKS!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1188229785[/unixtime]]PSI? Pounds per Square Inch ... yea that exists. :tongue:

Lies! There is no such thing... as... a unit of measurement that won't stop existing just because I deny it.

I need to think these things through a bit better.