Skills, Three possibilities

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Fusecase
NPC

Skills, Three possibilities

Post by Fusecase »

Hello all,
I have been reading these boards for a bit, around two months before it moved or so, and I had an idea to try and make a different system of skills aside from the d20 system in place.

First, I read an idea to use 3d6 which I thought on and liked. It has its regularity and it leaves off that feeling of "Nat 20! Oh wait dammit its a skill check and I don't auto succeed..."

Second, I have played a d10 system and I really liked it. Where eight and above was a success, a ten allowed you to roll an extra die, and a nat one not only failed but it also negated a success.

I thought, well if we remake the skill system from the ground up, why not? So I did a bit of math as to how to pull it off compared to the skill rank system as is and the numbers came out friendly, its just that fixed DCs are hard to set up.

The basics are that skills are purchased with points, each skill costs new rank squared times two points [2(R^2)], the costs help pay for the next rank (i.e. going from two to three costs 10 points instead of 18), class skills max at 10, and cross class skills max at 5.

You recieve a number of points equal to your level times ten times the quantity of your class skill points per level plus int mod [L*10*(S+I)].

You may "store" up to twenty points a level, to a max of two hundred "stored" points, which may only be spent when the character levels up so you can't say that you had enough points to rank up a skill right as you need it.

From level one you may have up to 4 ranks in a class skill and 2 ranks in a cross class skill. The maximum for a class skill raises every third level and a cross class skill raises every sixth.

I hoped to not have to tear apart every class to put this system into place and so far it doesn't seem like its all that bad, it just could get very complicated when it comes to making fixed DCs. Currently I think having 1 success = a DC 10, 2 = 20, and every success above that raises the check by 5.

The major upside IMHO is that the system doesn't knock people off the RNG often, and for skills I think that is really important because they are skills which are practiced and honed daily instead of attacks which have so much more margin for error.

Please critique at your leisure, please comment with suggestions, and please ignore my spelling mistakes.
Insert Witty Finishing Remark Here.

Dammit it didn't work.