Arcane Spell... Interference?

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

ZER0
Journeyman

Arcane Spell... Interference?

Post by ZER0 »

So the idea of Arcane Spell Failure has always bothered me a bit. Not the idea itself; rather, the fact that either your spell succeeds, or it doesn't. A Wizard with a Mithral Chain Shirt and a Buckler can still funtionally cast his spells often enough that it comes very close to not mattering at all. And the idea that a spell will fail completely just because you're wearing something that's seriously no heavier than your regular shirt is just silly. So I decided I'd make an alternate system so that armour would always affect arcane casters, but never have a spell actually fail. Here it is.

Arcane Spell Interference

Arcane Spell Interference (ASI) is an alternate system that can be used in the place of Arcane Spell Failure. When using ASI, no spell cast will fail. Rather, based on the armour being worn, the numeric effects of the spell itself as well as caster level for the purpose of a spell's effects, but not numbers that are not of a spell's effect, are reduced by an appropriate precentage.

This means that range (so long as it is not touch or personal), effect, area, duration (so long as it is not instantaneous), damage (if a death effect, it only does the creature's full normal hit points +10, and the percentage is subtracted by that number), and caster level checks made for a spell's effects, but not caster level checks to overcome spell resistance, saving throw DC's, or spell level.

The percentage by which numeric effects are reduced is as follows.

Clothing or non-armours cause 0% ASI.

Light Armours and Shields each cause 25% ASI.

Medium Armours and Great Shields each cause 50% ASI.

Heavy Armours cause 75% ASI.

Any character with 100% or more ASI can not cast spells.

Again, this is an alternate system. It's not necessarily better than ASF, but it's one I find preferable. Let me know what you guys think.
Last edited by ZER0 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Absentminded_Wizard wrote:
4e PHB, p. 57 under "Target" (bolding mine) wrote:When a power’s target entry specifies that it affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power’s effect along with your team-mates. Otherwise, “ally” or “allies” does not include you, and both terms assume willing targets. “Enemy” or “enemies” means a creature or creatures that aren’t your allies (whether those creatures are hostile toward you or not). “Creature” or “creatures” means allies and enemies both, as well as you.
Yes, according to 4e RAW, you are your own enemy.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I'd suggest having it reduce caster level for all effects of the spell, but not the variables like dispel check DCs. Better wording welcome.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

So I can wear full plate and cast finger of death effectively but not fireball? Hmm...
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:So I can wear full plate and cast finger of death effectively but not fireball? Hmm...
I felt I was missing something, I swear. Yeah, I'm afraid evokers need boosts, not things that make them (relatively) weaker.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
ZER0
Journeyman

Post by ZER0 »

@Bigode: Fixed the wording. Thanks.

@Catharz:
ZERO wrote:damage (if a death effect, it only does the creature's full normal hit points +10, and the percentage is subtracted by that number)
So, if you cast Finger of Death, or Power Word: Kill, or Phantasmal Killer, or whatever, you would do (at most) a bit more than quarter of a creature's maximum hit points.
4e PHB, p. 57 under "Target" (bolding mine) wrote:When a power’s target entry specifies that it affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power’s effect along with your team-mates. Otherwise, “ally” or “allies” does not include you, and both terms assume willing targets. “Enemy” or “enemies” means a creature or creatures that aren’t your allies (whether those creatures are hostile toward you or not). “Creature” or “creatures” means allies and enemies both, as well as you.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

CL definitely shouldn't be modified by a percentage. Also, are you telling me that instant-kills turn into demi, gravija and the like? Will need even better wording ...
ZER0
Journeyman

Post by ZER0 »

I'm open to suggestions as for what to do with caster level, if anything. As for Death becoming Demi... yeah, pretty much.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ZER0 wrote:@Catharz:
ZERO wrote:damage (if a death effect, it only does the creature's full normal hit points +10, and the percentage is subtracted by that number)
So, if you cast Finger of Death, or Power Word: Kill, or Phantasmal Killer, or whatever, you would do (at most) a bit more than quarter of a creature's maximum hit points.
So now flesh to stone deals 75% of a creatures HP in damage if you're holding a shield? Or does it just last half an eternity?
ZER0
Journeyman

Post by ZER0 »

Flesh to Stone would still be fully effective, though you'd have to get closer than normal. It's not perfect, which is why I'm looking for suggestions.