Obligatory 'puter 'sploded post

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Obligatory 'puter 'sploded post

Post by PhoneLobster »

My computer exploded.

In that quiet not very explosive way they some times do where the lights and fans come on but no body is home, because somewhere inside the mother board and much of the rest of it is secretly dead.

I blame the power source, and in turn the shoddy wiring around here and our shoddy corporatised power network with all the fucking blackouts and surges they ceaselessly subject my rural nowhere area to. It's like living in Atlantis, limited connectivity, 2 weeks from mail order computers, no electricity, no roads and frequently underwater.

In typing this post I discover the new non worn out keyboard I got along with the replacement computer turns out to have a power off fucking short cut key in between the arrow keys and enter (edit: and delete, that was a close one!) (son of a bitch).

So anyway that explains why I've been strangely quiet lately.

But now I'm back, and I'm mad... Well I'm not mad (except about the STUPID power button, convenient my ASS) but as I understand it that's just something you say when you are back. The bit about being mad, not the bit about the convenient power button.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I would remove that key and tape it over. That sounds like the most annoying thing I can imagine that is entirely passive in its effects.

-Username17
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

WTF do you need a poweroff button on your keyboard for? o.O Unless it's a desktop? Still doesn't esplain it tho.

My wife's computer died Christmas morning. Turns out it was a faulty motherboard. Sent it to HP and they tried to charge us for the repair, despite it being a known problem. Then they sent it back MISSING KEYS. And tried to charge us for repairing THAT too.

Needless to say, I bought her a Mac on New Year's Day.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

My last computer exploded. It didn't fly into pieces or anything, but there were several very loud electrical noises and some smoke. Fortunately, that was just the monitor, and the tower remained unharmed.

The most amusing computer death I ever saw was my old MacTV. I turned it on for the first time in five years, and when the Mac face came up, it had Xs for eyes and its tongue sticking out. Then it didn't finish booting up.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

You should be able to disable that power button in windows, though it will probably require messing with the registry. Try searching for "disable power button <yourkeyboard>".
Murtak
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

angel: That means the mac was unable to find the boot sector on the drive. Normally, it just means the drive or drive controller has been damaged.

On a PC you wouldn't even get the sick face ^-^

-Crissa
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Crissa wrote:On a PC you wouldn't even get the sick face ^-^
If I did, I'd assume it was a screw-you message from a virus, not a system message.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

you know when machines start emoting on their own, I think the time has come to put the machiines down with machetes.

Fucking Wiintermute.

edit: forgot to put a crucial word in the middle. ^.^ or did the machine take it out. hmmm....
Last edited by Cynic on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

You can disable those buttons but really, why the fuck would I want that shit in the first place? I hate the trend to have keyboards with extra BS buttons on them. And I really hate the MS shit where they decided F5 your default to 'open' instead of refresh. Dickheads.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

The previous kyb had similar buttons above the printscreen/scrlk, but they were poweroff and snooze and some other shite. They all get the knife. And when i get tired of the kyb, the buttons fit right back with no problem and off it goes to someone, if i'm lucky, i get a free beer.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

luls, Wintermute. Good one Cynic.

Good to have to back Phone. Lack of connectivity can really suck.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

So, is this why you came up with a massive RPG project? Wasting less time online? :P
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

It's not wasted! It's purposefully mismanaged!