I'm getting ripped off and am not sure how to fight it

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'm getting ripped off and am not sure how to fight it

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Alright, I was signed up for Chase Fraud detector. I don't know when or why, but I do know they're charging me $8 a month.

I called and told them I wanted to cancel it. They refused, saying that I couldn't prove who I was. They told me to fax a statement to them and circle the charge, and write "cancel" on it. Again, nothing doing, they're still charging me.

What legal avenues do I have for this, because I don't have $8 to spend on a nonexistent bullshit service.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

See if you have a local Legal Aid or similar organization which exists specifically to give legal advice to poor people.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

I'm pretty sure the way to go here is persistence. You don't really want to bother with legal avenues when it's a bullshit $8 charge per month. If you faxed them the document they wanted, call them back and say "I faxed you this document, get me the fuck off your system." If they say they didn't receive it, fax it to them with them on the line, and then tell them to get you the fuck off their system. If they're obstinate, ask to speak to someone smarter - their manager, or something. It's really annoying having to grind one's way through a bureaucracy like that, but it's probably your best option.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'll try, but everything costs money, and they won't let me talk on the phone at the library. (That's literally the only place I know of to send a fax anywhere near here.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Got a scanner handy Count?

There are a few email -> fax services around taht you can try for free for the first month (MyFax was the last one I bothered with). Just scan it to your computer, email as an attachment (I did it from my junk Hotmail account), and they'll receive it as a fax. Should get you around your lack of fax line issue.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Can you file a chargeback with your credit card?
Cynic
Prince

Re: I'm getting ripped off and am not sure how to fight it

Post by Cynic »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Alright, I was signed up for Chase Fraud detector. I don't know when or why, but I do know they're charging me $8 a month.

I called and told them I wanted to cancel it. They refused, saying that I couldn't prove who I was. They told me to fax a statement to them and circle the charge, and write "cancel" on it. Again, nothing doing, they're still charging me.

What legal avenues do I have for this, because I don't have $8 to spend on a nonexistent bullshit service.
Count, what are they asking you to prove who you are?

The most consistent of things necessary in these cases is the SS# and I know people are reticent to give that but if you are willing to do that, it should clear the matter.

If you have a billing statement in hand, often the charge for identity theft, fraud monitoring, whatever the bullshit charge these guys pile up often has an identity code on there and often but not always a ph# to dial.

if both those last two things are on there for the fraud detector service, then you should be in the clear.

If not, as Gelare said, be persistent and ask to be taken off the list but do not, I repeat do not use profanity with Chase. Their lower reps have an infamous nature of fucking dropping the call if they get ticked off.

Aside from legal sources, you can use the power of the internet.

I think it was consumerist.com that often advertises shitty services like this on their website and often gets corporate giants to listen to them. At least a year ago. Havent been very attentive recently.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

If they are charging you they are likely charging a savings or credit account.

Talk to your bank and tell them to stop paying your money out to those scam artists.

If they are just sending you bills just ignore them.

It is their burden of proof to show that they are providing your with goods or services that you have solicited and not actively refused or canceled.

If possible collect whatever documentation you can to prove that you made reasonable attempts to cancel the payments/"service".
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Document Everything. Write down who you talked to, when you talked to them, and what was said at the time.

Talk to your bank - they usually allow you to prevent someone from making a withdrawal on your account without charging you. Tell them the whole story and ask that they prevent the charges from recurring.

Write a letter to the offending company. Include all the records you have of your efforts to get them to stop charging you. At the bottom of the letter, make a clearly visible note that says something to the effect of "CC: X State Attorney General," and send a copy to your state's attorney general's office.

If the actuality of having a complaint filed against with the state attorney general's office, isn't enough, go find a lawyer. In my experience, though, it usually stops them dead.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

A_Cynic wrote:
Count, what are they asking you to prove who you are?

The most consistent of things necessary in these cases is the SS# and I know people are reticent to give that but if you are willing to do that, it should clear the matter.

If you have a billing statement in hand, often the charge for identity theft, fraud monitoring, whatever the bullshit charge these guys pile up often has an identity code on there and often but not always a ph# to dial.

if both those last two things are on there for the fraud detector service, then you should be in the clear.
Well, they asked me for my mother's maiden name and the name of my first pet, and said it was wrong. They asked me for the last 4 numbers of my social and siad that was also wrong.

I had a billing statement in hand, and they said I had to fax them a copy, circle the transaction, and write "cancel" on it. That's what I did.
Phonelobster wrote:If they are charging you they are likely charging a savings or credit account.

Talk to your bank and tell them to stop paying your money out to those scam artists.

If they are just sending you bills just ignore them.

It is their burden of proof to show that they are providing your with goods or services that you have solicited and not actively refused or canceled.

If possible collect whatever documentation you can to prove that you made reasonable attempts to cancel the payments/"service".
They are charging my credit account. I already tried to tell Chase that the charges were made without my permission, and they said I couldn't dispute the charges for Fraud Detector.

However, I will hold onto all the documentation I have to prove this.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Here is what I would do:

1 - Call them. Ask to cancel the charge (presumably they deny this).

2 - Sign up with a new bank for a credit card.

3 - Threaten to cancel your card (presumably they don't care).

4 - Cancel original card.

Honestly, I wouldn't put up with that shit. I love Wamu/Chase, but I don't like any financial institution enough to donate $8/month to them.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

A google search indicates that other people are having the same problem, but probably not enough for newspaper articles titled "Fraud Detector Fraud" or class action lawsuits. Apparently some people got a promotion that actually paid them to use the detector, and so they used it until the promotion was over and then promptly canceled. This (perhaps understandably) pissed off some people at Chase even though it was obviously their own damn' fault. As a result, they're probably pissy to anyone who tries to cancel the service.

Good luck, Count. You might want to try accessing some other aspect of your account and seeing if they have the right SSN/names/etc. If they do, the Fraud Detector people really are trying to cheat you. If not, something else is seriously fucked up and they're just being as sleazy as a credit card company.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I actually signed up for a fraud system, got my work done, found a cheaper alternative, got more work don,e, never got my 'credit score' and... They kept charging me after I cancelled.

BofA recommends canceling the account the charge is being sent to, as though your card were stolen.

There's no system in place in the US to get back at these guys, because the individual losses are so low. Under the Bush admin the level of proof you need to prove these guys are intentionally ripping people off was raised high so that no one starts up these lawsuits anymore.

-Crissa
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:
Well, they asked me for my mother's maiden name and the name of my first pet, and said it was wrong. They asked me for the last 4 numbers of my social and siad that was also wrong.

I had a billing statement in hand, and they said I had to fax them a copy, circle the transaction, and write "cancel" on it. That's what I did.
Wow -- What, doucheasses. Ask them if you can verify with the account number and your DOB, and your whole SS. and if they say you cannot. keep asking to speak to the manager.

If you really need to fax from your comp. go to the library. scan it in. Be sure to save it as a PDF or a jpeg or a doc of a page or so. come back home. use this Link and fax for free while you or on the phone with the twats. Ask them if they got the god damned fax.

Your matter should be solved.
~~~
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

SunTzuWarmaster wrote:Here is what I would do:

1 - Call them. Ask to cancel the charge (presumably they deny this).

2 - Sign up with a new bank for a credit card.

3 - Threaten to cancel your card (presumably they don't care).

4 - Cancel original card.

Honestly, I wouldn't put up with that shit. I love Wamu/Chase, but I don't like any financial institution enough to donate $8/month to them.
I tried that. No one will give me a credit card right now, remember? Making just over ten grand a year?

I suppose not, I'm not aware that it's any of you guys' job to monitor my life, and it can be assumed that the issues in my life are less important than the issues in someone else's life from the other person's perspective. :tongue:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

A_Cynic wrote:
Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:

Wow -- What, doucheasses. Ask them if you can verify with the account number and your DOB, and your whole SS. and if they say you cannot. keep asking to speak to the manager.

If you really need to fax from your comp. go to the library. scan it in. Be sure to save it as a PDF or a jpeg or a doc of a page or so. come back home. use this Link and fax for free while you or on the phone with the twats. Ask them if they got the god damned fax.

Your matter should be solved.
~~~
I'll try that tomorrow. I have to use other computers, had to cancel my internet at home due to expenses.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Sorry, I have a pretty terrible time paying my own bills on time, honestly. I have delegated out this life functionality and paid dearly for it (I traded dishes and laundry for bill paying and cooking).
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I'd go dishes and laundry over bills and cooking.