FATAL

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

mean_liar
Duke

FATAL

Post by mean_liar »

I almost wonder if this is bannable.

Last edited by mean_liar on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

no, we laugh about it. that's all.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It even has competition for worst game.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

While FATAL does require over 100 die rolls just to select your fucking stats at CharGen, at least FATAL is playable compared to Racial Holy War.

I hesistate to even call RHA a game, since it apparently can't be completed. It'd be like making an jRPG that didn't have a health meter; it didn't matter what anything else the game did you could not all it an jRPG.

As far as the offensiveness factor goes, FATAL easily wins out over RHA. RHA is just like any setting where you kill bad guys who are stinky and hairy and stupid, only with the serial numbers filed off and exaggerated. Worse, it's only a slight exaggeration. FATAL's misogyny goes above and beyond the call of duty.

I'd say that FATAL wins readily but not crushingly. RHA just doesn't have that 'presence' that could propel it to worst RPG ever.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Wow... RHA is... interesting. The way that it uses stats seems interesting, it's badly done, but could be used.

Wraeththu is..... I have no idea. It's disturbing.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Cynic
Prince

Re: FATAL

Post by Cynic »

mean_liar wrote:I almost wonder if this is bannable.

I wonder if you were scared to put this in the other forum? :-P

edit: the image seems... to have been editted or my ad-blocker is getting damned good. I didn't even catch that there was an image until I quoted you.

On Fatal -- I remember trying to make a character one day, and threw my dice at the wall in revulsion after a bit of reading. But Eagle, interesting is an understatement of the year.

I remember RHA being talked about several months ago. So did it just break up because of incongruity or revulsion among the makers? Anyone brave enough to find out?
Last edited by Cynic on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Wow... RHA is... interesting. The way that it uses stats seems interesting, it's badly done, but could be used.
I actually rather like the intimidation concept... now I just need to competently craft it into an actual codified rule and try it out...
Wraeththu is..... I have no idea. It's disturbing.
and I actually kinda like the concept of Wraethu... but then I'm a bisexual male who likes bishonen, has horrible body image, and pretty much hates being human.... really it's this line of the review:
Like somebody pointed out on the rpg.net forums, the Wraeththu make good villains
that best puts it, they're damned good as villains, and I love playing villainous characters, hence why I can put up with most of the shit...

...there's also the fact that the review actually took a good while to get to the point "oh yeah, you spend most of your time forcibly changing your enemies and screwing your buddies"... so my opinion was mostly formed before that point...

The concept of the Wraeththu is interesting... now if the writer had been a competent world builder and not made the Wraeththu's primary diversions (and time involvements) the same as those of the (Vampire) Lost Boys, maybe the game could be more interesting... I mean... yeah, sure, we're all pretty familiar with playing murderous hobos whose diversions are a)getting fucked up at the tavern and b)fucking something that just moved...

wait... why do the Wraeththu seem so petty? Basically you play a D&D character in a modern setting who happens to be from a hermaphroditic vampire race... oh... it's because when you put it in those terms it's... dumb.

god dammit... I don't need a project.. why the hell did I have to learn about Wraeththu, find a concept seed I like, and then get the urge to fix it?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Aren't all the "enemies" actually superior to the PCs in RaHoWa due to their special abilities that PCs can't get?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:Aren't all the "enemies" actually superior to the PCs in RaHoWa due to their special abilities that PCs can't get?
well that and the fact that the special abilities actually have concrete rules.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:Aren't all the "enemies" actually superior to the PCs in RaHoWa due to their special abilities that PCs can't get?
well that and the fact that the special abilities actually have concrete rules.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Oh yes, RoHoWa was really amusing. I believe we concluded that one Asian teamed with a number of Jews equal to the party size were unstoppable (well, assuming the Jews had enough money; but I'm not sure there were any rules for money in the game).

FATAL has to win the prize for bringing together the prime examples of each of the two awful gamer stereotypes: The nerd who wants you to roll a hundred dice to get a more perfect bell curve, and the pervert whose fantasy world is filled with nothing but bizarre sex jokes.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I actually DM'ed a game of FATAL.

It was a joke one-shot for /tg/, and I was kinda drunk. I normally have little trouble grokking complex game systems but my brain just kept shutting down every time I got more than three pages in. We ended up hacking it into a d20 system and going nuts.

I distinctly remember prehensile clitorii.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Pic updated!

YOU HAVE TO GRAB YOUR TARGET BY THE BALLS TO CAST THIS SPELL.
Last edited by mean_liar on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote:Oh yes, RoHoWa was really amusing. I believe we concluded that one Asian teamed with a number of Jews equal to the party size were unstoppable (well, assuming the Jews had enough money; but I'm not sure there were any rules for money in the game).
Ooh, that's right, now I remember!

And I just saw the pic. Wow. I'm not sure whether I'm more horrified by the concept, puzzled by the uselessness of the spell (aside from providing a non-biting way to feed vampires, I guess) or annoyed by the incompetence of a writer who includes "To be determined" in the so-called finished product!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I took "to be determined" as meaning, basically, "varies"

yeah, it is an extremely odd spell... especially in a game where the object is to kill and rape your way to power...
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Did FATAL ever make it to a final version? I thought it was permanently stuck in Pathfinder-style beta.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

That's my understanding as well - though apparently at a later stage it was renamed to "From Another Time, Another Land", and my PDF copy only has it as "Fantasy Adventure To Adult Lechery".

Flipping through its pages, I see that only a small percentage of its 900+ pages are related to this sort of silliness, though its peppered throughout. "Ejaculate Blood", "Anal Circumference" determination charts, miscast spells that result in your next shit animating and trying to kill you...

The game isn't Rapefest 9000 or anything, but it is clearly designed to mechanically support a campaign of Devil Rapelords vs Demon Murderers down to tiny details like whether you can CAN insert THAT in THERE.