WOTC boards back on-line

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

WOTC boards back on-line

Post by Leress »

Well they are back and now they have a beta of their "community" interface.

It really looks like one of those "fan community" sites (the ones that are just advert site for new games).
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

Ugh. How irritating. New forum layout sucks, it doesn't have that quick switch button down there, there is no graphic-lite theme, and it even forces you to pick up an avatar. Yeah, that's an important function of a forum. Every member must have an avatar.

Well, now, at least some people may rejoice that the crisis is over, leave these forums and go back to Wotc to penis-touch with other like-minded people there.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Kobajagrande wrote:Ugh. How irritating. New forum layout sucks, it doesn't have that quick switch button down there, there is no graphic-lite theme, and it even forces you to pick up an avatar. Yeah, that's an important function of a forum. Every member must have an avatar.

Well, now, at least some people may rejoice that the crisis is over, leave these forums and go back to Wotc to penis-touch with other like-minded people there.

fixed. the idea is to brainwash the masses not shove them away.:-D
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Kobajagrande wrote:Ugh. How irritating. New forum layout sucks, it doesn't have that quick switch button down there, there is no graphic-lite theme, and it even forces you to pick up an avatar. Yeah, that's an important function of a forum. Every member must have an avatar.
Ah but you forgot one slight thing. It allows you to upload an avatar. Yes I know we take that for granted almost everywhere we go, but this has never happened before (as far as I can racall) in the entire history of TSR/WOTC. "No custom avatar for you; we can't police them" was always their mantra but now no more. I've uploaded my killer icon there, my face as an arrangement of photos of dogs.

The general forum interface looks rather ... how should I put it ... well frankly, it sucks.

Antumbra
Apprentice

Post by Antumbra »

I was on the site yesterday hunting some obscure crap for a limited booklist thing - every single old (BBCode) link is broken. Irritating.
But what the hell - every minute not on their site is a minute gained.
tzor wrote:I've uploaded my killer icon there, my face as an arrangement of photos of dogs.
It's... glorious...
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I set a black square as my pic.
Why are they demanding to specify a gender on a kid-friendly site but still allow "unspecified" as a variant?
Also, I've been there for like 5 minutes and I'm already sick of the blue guy avatars.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I approve of the change.

Just another nail in the coffin of 4th Edition.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I know there's a genetic resistance to change, but...damn, that place looks horrible now.
technophile
NPC

Post by technophile »

Antumbra wrote:I was on the site yesterday hunting some obscure crap for a limited booklist thing - every single old (BBCode) link is broken. Irritating.
Yeah, any sufficiently complex (i.e. worthwhile) old thread is essentially unreadable with all the formatting tags stuck in there.

If they were going to be too goddamned lazy to run a simple search-and-replace to fix up formatting, they should have just made the old forums read-only and kept them up as an archive.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Hah, but one nice feature (?) does it have,
you can drop Wizards off your friend list.

How did it get there? :bash:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That avatar icon is totally sweet.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I totally agree, Frank.

You jokers can't handle my style, so don't even try.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I'm a pretty girl:

Edit: It works on this board too. I'm totally making that my avatar here too. Rayne's niece is awesome.
Last edited by ubernoob on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You know what? I don't want an avatar. It's scary looking at that yuppie douchebag every time I post and realizing that it's me.

If I can ever find that overly-stylized Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Super Mario icon again that I used to have on Nifty I might put one up. But otherwise it doesn't feel right, you know?

ggroy
Knight

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titanium Dragon
Journeyman

Post by Titanium Dragon »

They hired another company to do their boards for them, and they are, apparently, retards. You'd think that it couldn't be worse than in-house programming, but apparently you'd be wrong.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

What was wrong with the old look? I thought that was okay. If they were going to do some weird facebook thing then why did they need to get rid of the parchment look.

Titanium Dragon
Journeyman

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Don't ask me. They also got rid of the ability to read the thread you're responding to while writing a response, i.e. basic forum functionality.

I would say you'd think that a professional company which sets up social networking sites couldn't possibly be that incompetent, but their website speaks for itself. Now, maybe its just me but I think their website looks ugly. And is sorely lacking in capital letters.
Last edited by Titanium Dragon on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Wizards actually deleted my old forum ID just a few weeks before the shift, sending me some notice that I hadn't logged in for over a year or somesuch, so I haven't bothered creating an account to try posting and crap. Given that, I am sure I am missing out on some of the functionality flaws like TD described.

It doesn't look *that* bad from what I scrolled through, however having 20 links all piled together in one clusterfuck paragraph and having all the forums on one page that scrolls all the way down to the lower reaches of hell, are definitely some poor site designs.

It will never be as bad as the forum my wife visits from time to time, which is ONE THREAD that lasts oh, maybe 60 thousand pages. It is a pregnant mother + mother with kids support thing. They all feel obligated to reply to everyone who replies to anyone and it just snowballs into some crazy list of gigantic posts to everyone about everything. Add that a bunch of stir crazy housewives are enabled to use html and java in their forum posts, so some of the posts will kill your computer. I have set my bar pretty low for forum standards after seeing that abomination. I was tempted to sign up an ID or two and troll that board, but I'm afraid of what horrible things could happen.

The day that 4chan stumbles upon that site, there will probably be tragedies aplenty.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

I dare you to link them to it.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

I'm sure /tg/ knows already, just no one is bored enough to do anything yet.
technophile
NPC

Post by technophile »

Did they just break all of the old permalinks?

Man, that's fucking helpful.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

technophile wrote:Did they just break all of the old permalinks?

Man, that's fucking helpful.
Yes.
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

They changed the code so links with the url tags would work again.
however the post and thread tags will most likely new work with the new board.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I wonder if I should see whether the WotC boards still want me to give them more personal information than I find acceptable. I doubt I'd want to post there regularly, but I had one project going redesigning the Eldritch Slayer (3.5 base class), and for courtesy's sake, I should probably either post my latest version or direct them over to the threads here and at the LoZ RPG forum where I have two different versions going (speaking of which, I should probably get around to posting my most recent updates in those threads once I have nothing more pressing to do).

On an entirely tangential note, since some people seem to be inspired to grab new avatars talk about them here, I might as well mention mine. As some of you are probably aware, I like the Legend of Zelda video games. Some of the eye symbols in them make for nice runes in other contexts, and I found a bunch of them converted into .png files during one Google Image search a few years back. I just converted one into a smaller .gif for this board.