Obama and Patterson - WTF?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Obama and Patterson - WTF?

Post by Cynic »

So what's the whole deal with Obama and the White House getting hot and heavy with the coke-snorting, prostitute-pimping blind man from NYC governor's campaign?

Obama seriously doesn't seem to be doing well on the within country diplomacy. He seems as heavy-handed as bush except the spotlight is more on him to succeed.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Are you confusing Patterson with the guy that he replaced as governor (Elliot Spitzer)? I don't recall reading anything about Patterson coke-snorting or prostitute-pimping (though Elliot Spitzer did that).
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Patterson's approval ratings are in the tank. They are so bad that the looser who tried to run against Hillary in the senate seat (as opposed to the other looser from the primary who claimed that black helicopters were circling her home in the Hamptons) has a 50/50 chance against him.

Still, when the POTUS gets involved in state politics it is so wrong on so many constitutional levels that it will be certain to backfire. I'm going to refrain from expounding on the old comment, "once a God Damned Chicago Politician, always a God Damned Chicago Politician."
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Ahh, the old, 'It's Okay If You're a Republican.'

Why shouldn't the leader of a party give a boost to their candidates in lower offices?

Paterson's approval ratings have little to do with his actions, it is true. But it's possible for the party to more easily hold onto the Governorship by choosing a new candidate, and they have one ready and more popular even before the Lt Gov took over for the philandering prior Gov.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

A Cynic wrote:So what's the whole deal with Obama and the White House getting hot and heavy with the coke-snorting, prostitute-pimping blind man from NYC governor's campaign?
Sheesh, A Cynic, this is so wrong that what you described is the exact opposite of what's really happening.

Obama wasn't boosting Paterson's approval ratings, though. He was trying to get Paterson to resign quietly, which isn't happening.

Anyway, the whole incident was brought about was because Paterson's campaign staff and supporters (specifically Harlem) threatened to go nuclear on the racial component and Obama is providing political cover for Cuomo. Paterson's approval numbers are entirely in the tank right now (even among black New Yorkers, he doesn't even have a third) but he has some powerful people supporting him.

Even though he would probably lose a primary, the resulting fight would be very damaging for the Demonrat party. I'm not surprised that Obama stepped in.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I seem to have used the wrong expression. I meant heavy-handed rather than hot and heavy.

I know he asked for Patterson to resign. I was just wondering why. And I'm pretty sure that patterson has admitted to drugs and prostituting as well.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa wrote:Why shouldn't the leader of a party give a boost to their candidates in lower offices?
A boost? The "Commander in Chief," just kicked a standing governor of his own party in the groin and backstabbed him when he fell over. That's no "boost."

NYT Resisting Obama, Paterson Vows to Seek Office
Gov. David A. Paterson insisted on Sunday that he would continue his campaign for governor, despite urgings from the White House that he step aside for the good of the Democratic Party.
But if you really want to see the crap Chicago Politics at work, this is all about Rice.

Newsday Obama & Paterson: the Nassau fallout
President Obama signals Gov. David Paterson to drop his 2010 re-election bid, which opens the door for state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo to challenge Paterson.

Which opens the door for Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice to spread rumors — perish the thought — that she really is interested in running for attorney general.
Why this sudden change of job for Rice? Well it seems it has something to do with recent events in my graduate alma matta, Hofstra
Her Republican challenger, Joy Watson, got some traction over the weekend when she demanded that Rice prosecute a woman who falsely reported she was raped at Hofstra University.
Hard to believe that the president would throw a legally blind African American under the bus for a mere country district attourney seeking higher office because she can't hold on to her current job. How low can you go Mr. President?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I didn't know you were a conspiracy theorist.

Or that you thought 'Prosecutorial discretion' meant the opponent to the DA got to choose who to prosecute.

Weird.

-Crissa
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

A_Cynic wrote:I seem to have used the wrong expression. I meant heavy-handed rather than hot and heavy.

I know he asked for Patterson to resign. I was just wondering why. And I'm pretty sure that patterson has admitted to drugs and prostituting as well.
Obama didn't ask Paterson to resign, he asked him not to run for governor again.

Even so, you answered your own question. Why would Obama ask for someone who intends to put the Demonrat party through a bruising primary and election battle that he has almost no chance of winning (if against a Republican like Lazlo or Guiliani)?

Still I bet the impetus for Obama stepping in directly rather than just letting nature take its course is to give Cuomo, his favored opponent in the primary, political cover against Paterson's backers. Even though he's currently at a 26% approval rating for blacks, the actual leaders of the community still back Paterson. So by stepping in Obama shields Cuomo or anyone else from the Demonrat party who challenges the current governor some wiggle room.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

You have to understand New York Grand Politics. NYS Attorney Generals are generally arrogant bastards who think if they can mess with the fat cats on Wall Street and get away with it they can get away with anything. Como, most blessed elder son of the great (only in his mind) Mario Como, wants to pull a “divine right of kings” pile of manure.

Not that this matters much, New York will probably go Republican in the next election.

P.S. Patterson can’t resign, it’s practically impossible as there are still major questions on the appointment of the current #2 in the state.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

A_Cynic wrote:I seem to have used the wrong expression. I meant heavy-handed rather than hot and heavy.

IIRC, drugs yes, prostitution no. However, he did admit to past extramarital affairs.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

tzor wrote: P.S. Patterson can’t resign, it’s practically impossible as there are still major questions on the appointment of the current #2 in the state.
Well if he really wanted to, I suppose he can now that the NY court of appeals has said that Patterson's decision was legit.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... nor&st=cse