D&D's major literary influence is...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

endersdouble
Journeyman

D&D's major literary influence is...

Post by endersdouble »

D&D.

I've heard everyone talking about Conan and Vance and Moorcock and whatever. Those aren't the biggest influences on D&D (anymore.) Let's face it, D&D is old enough to be considered source material for an RPG, and at this point, every modification to D&D is aimed at making it like, well, D&D. D&D has its own tropes and setting rules, and they're different from a lot of fantasy, and that's fine.

Yes, the systems for D&D don't (really) work, and certainly no one but Gygax's corpse wants to go back to Mother-may-I DMs with fuck-you traps and groveling PCs. But while that may be how D&D plays it's not how anyone thinks of it. In fact, I think that there's a relatively consistent set of literary rules for how the idealized D&D campaign runs, and we (could) build a game system around those precepts. And I'm not sure the Tomes--though they perhaps describe a more interesting world--describe that world.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

I didn't even know Conan wrote books...I'd sure as hell read them, I bet he has a thing or two to say about knife fighting.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

I'm sure he meant Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

shau wrote:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
He was just a character in a book written by Tarzan.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I think Leiber was a strong influence especially in the save or die mentality, but the implications of role play gaming as being a offset varient of war gaming cannot be easily dismissed. A lot of role playing aka the Gygax model basically stemed from taking a nice logical predictable model like war gaming and inverting it so you answer the question "how can I keep the players on the edges of their seats and constantly interested in what is happening?"
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

D&D's major literary influence is...D&D.
I think that there's a relatively consistent set of literary rules for how the idealized D&D campaign runs, and we (could) build a game system around those precepts
Not sure I fully agree, but for the sake of argument let's run with that.

What are some decent fantasy works that are clearly set in a D&D game - and which of those are worth emulating in a game.

Off the top of my head:
  • Dragonlance maybe worth emulating, maybe not
  • Other licensed books (Drizzt, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc) - largely total crap.
  • the Thraxas books - surprisingly awesome, I can't help but think this is the setting Eberron wanted to be.
  • Slayers anime - at times awesome, but maybe not quite enough within classic D&D idioms to count
  • Lodoss War anime - never seen it, but people say it's right out of D&D
  • a bunch of other anime - remember the question here is not merely "fantasy" but "D&D". Legend of Crystania with it's live action polyhedral dice opening counts - Bleach is nowhere near.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
tzor
Prince

Re: D&D's major literary influence is...

Post by tzor »

endersdouble wrote:Yes, the systems for D&D don't (really) work, and certainly no one but Gygax's corpse wants to go back to Mother-may-I DMs with fuck-you traps and groveling PCs.
Yes I do. I want to die, again, and again in pointless horror and agony. Unfortunately Gygax doesn't do it for me, he was too nice, not over the top enough. I want to play PARINOIA!
Hegemonic
NPC

Post by Hegemonic »

First and Second edition had some Jack Vance in there. All those flighty, elaborate spell names, spells that really weren't useful but were still interesting, a fairly heartless death mechanic...Tales from the Dying Eart reads like a bad D&D campaign..."You're walking along and you come across a town next to a large, deep lake with a single watchtower at the center of the town, what do you do?"...random magic items that could end the campaign with a single die roll. I kind of liked that world, but I'd be lying if I thought it was frequently fair to the players.
bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

Inspirational material for Gygaxian D&D: Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, Jack Vance, Fritz Leiber, E.R.Burroughs, R.E.Howard, Klarkash-ton, Tolkien.

IM for 2E: Pern, Shannara, Eddings' copypaste-verse, Vald Taltos (multi-volume frilly shirt coffee klatch fantasy).
IM for 3E: TSR D&D + Diablo
IM for 4e: reaction against 3e, plus WoWCraft and (arguably) Final Fantasy VII - XII

It's quite remarkable how each edition is manifestly a pop-culture artefact of the decade *preceding* its publication. Practically a time capsule of geek obsessionsof the time.
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.