Iron Heart Surge... WTF?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Iron Heart Surge... WTF?

Post by Prak »

Ok... so after hearing lots of remarks imply IHS was completely broken, I finally decided to actually look it up and see what it does.

broken? uber? what?

...what am I not thinking about here?
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

The joke is that it ends any negative effect affecting you, no ifs ands or buts. Got sunlight weakness? BAM! Sun stops shining. Ice storm making you fatigued? SURGE! Now it's a sunny day! Blind? GRR! You have eyes now!
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

"effect" has no definition.

"a duration of one or more rounds" could possibly mean anything, including things that are permanent.

IE, Iron Heart Surge the sun out of existence bullcrap.

As for the reasons it just doesn't work like it fucking should:

1) Iron Heart Surge represents Conan saying "Fuck you and your stupid Magic too! I am so awesome, I ignore your spell."

Heres some effects:

Daze
Stun
Dominate
Nausea

Looks like shit Conan can shrug off through willpower right? Tough shit, you don't get your own actions in those, so you can't actually shrug those off.

But you know what you can do? End AoE effects that effect you.

So in fact, Conan can make Solid Fogs disappear and not affect anyone at all through sheer force of bullshit.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Utterfail
Master

Post by Utterfail »

My first simulpost!

(Was it good for you too?)
Failing since 1989

I suppose this signature has run it's course.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I see, ok, thanks guys.

I like the sun one, that's a good one.

I suppose you could conceivably use it to heal yourself, or bring yourself back to life (assuming you find a way to get actions while dead)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

This culminated in "I end Time and Gravity"

Or possibly Iron Heart Surge abortions. BAM! End the pregnancy that is affecting you, AND GAIN A BONUS TO HIT OUT OF THE DEAL.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

Somehow find yourself drowing in the Elemental Plane of Water. IHS the water away. Collect XP/loot for all the aquatic stuff that dies.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Re: Iron Heart Surge... WTF?

Post by Caedrus »

Prak_Anima wrote:Ok... so after hearing lots of remarks imply IHS was completely broken, I finally decided to actually look it up and see what it does.

broken? uber? what?

...what am I not thinking about here?
The thing about Iron Heart Surge is that it does everything except what you think it should do. It won't, for example, let a fighter break out of a charm or an entanglement with sheer force of willpower. It will, however, allow a vampire to blot out the sun.

Seriously. It doesn't work on ANYTHING you think it would. Entanglement? Nope. Bound? Nope. Compulsions? Newp. None of that stuff.
Last edited by Caedrus on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Hey, don't the Mind Flayers have some plot to destroy the sun?

Fuck your campaign setting bitch, the race of super geniuses Took a Level of Badass/Warblade millenia ago.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.