Noodles in a Campbell's Soup

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

For Valor
Knight-Baron

Noodles in a Campbell's Soup

Post by For Valor »

I heard a statistic that says "there are exactly 216 noodles in each can of campbell's chicken noodle soup".

Which I call bullshit on. Now, I'm not going to talk about how probability dictates that there is DEFINITELY a can out there with less noodles. I'm calling bullshit on the fact campbell's has some sort of 216-noodle counter.

I mean, there's a campbell's website for canada where it says that it produces 2.6 million cans per day. If you run the numbers, that's 30 cans per second. Even if they had 120 noodle-counters, they'd need to be count out 54 noodles every second. That is neither efficient, nor can it be that easy to control.

Anyone know anything I can use to further berate the person that told me this? Preferrably something to do with the argument at hand.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

For Valor wrote: I mean, there's a campbell's website for canada where it says that it produces 2.6 million cans per day. If you run the numbers, that's 30 cans per second. Even if they had 120 noodle-counters, they'd need to be count out 54 noodles every second. That is neither efficient, nor can it be that easy to control.
If I was going to take a guess at what happens, they probably force uncooked/partially cookied noodle paste through a strainer, chop it at one or more points, then cook the noodles it in the can along with the broth at a later point in the assembly.

While you're right how it's almost impossible to ensure that every can has that many noodles, if you chop the noodle paste off a certain distance and make sure that the holes aren't clogged or anything you'd get a very consistent number of noodles. You don't even need to count them.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Would 216 noodles even actually fit into a can of that crap?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Dude, quit hating, buy a freakin can of soup for a buck or two and count the noodles for yourself.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Noodles are packed raw and cooked in the can. They are placed there by a machine that uses precise dimensions and weights for its operations. It's entirely possible for one noodle to break during this process, yielding two shorter noodles, but the starting material is 216 noodles.

-Username17
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Hey... I found this link {OK, Soup, Canada, Red, Trivia} from Campbells Canada that has random facts on the side of the page.

One of them:
Canadian Campbells wrote:There are 216 noodles in an average can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.
So there you have it. The average can of Canadian Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup (presumably the same as the US) does have 216 noodles in it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Maj wrote:Hey... I found this link {OK, Soup, Canada, Red, Trivia} from Campbells Canada that has random facts on the side of the page.

One of them:
Canadian Campbells wrote:There are 216 noodles in an average can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.
So there you have it. The average can of Canadian Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup (presumably the same as the US) does have 216 noodles in it.
Or to translate it into real facts, the average number of noodles in a can is 216
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak_Anima wrote:Or to translate it into real facts, the average number of noodles in a can is 216
It is probably also true that 99% of all cans have 216 noodles, because as established, they put in that many solid noodles in one shove, then cook.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Or to translate it into real facts, the average number of noodles in a can is 216
Those two things aren't the same at all. The average number of noodles would be the number of noodles in all cans divided by the number of cans. The number of noodles in an average can is the number of noodles that is in the most cans. Those two are totally different measures.

I'm sure the average value is actually more than 216, because noodles break more often than the machine fails to put enough weight of dry noodles into the can.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:
Those two things aren't the same at all. The average number of noodles would be the number of noodles in all cans divided by the number of cans. The number of noodles in an average can is the number of noodles that is in the most cans. Those two are totally different measures.

I'm sure the average value is actually more than 216, because noodles break more often than the machine fails to put enough weight of dry noodles into the can.

-Username17
Alright... they're perceived the same to someone who didn't give enough of a shit about math to go beyond algebra 2.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

So in math terms, the 216 statistic is the mode. Prak's rephrasing is the mean.

Yeah?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Maj wrote:So in math terms, the 216 statistic is the mode. Prak's rephrasing is the mean.

Yeah?
Yeah.