Game of Thrones Boardgame, really damn fun

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Game of Thrones Boardgame, really damn fun

Post by OgreBattle »

played it for the first last week, gonna try to play it again this sunday.
Anyone else tried it before?

It was the right combination of simplicity, depth, immersion and ease for me. The idea of Support and Raid actions added a lot, the way boats are used to create 'bridges' to quickly move troops across the map is also cool.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Did you play first or second edition?

I've played a bunch of first, with various expansions as they came out - it is a good time.
Taishan
Apprentice

Post by Taishan »

My biggest problem with the first edition was that the game board space was huge, especially with the expansions. What's the footprint of the 2nd edition?

My second biggest problem may have been specific to my group of friends but the game ended up being a lot of backstabbing and yelling, and therefore, took a LONG time to play a whole game (it was like Diplomacy with swords and fun quotes). Can the 2nd edition be completed in an evening?
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

Taishan wrote:My second biggest problem may have been specific to my group of friends but the game ended up being a lot of backstabbing and yelling, and therefore, took a LONG time to play a whole game (it was like Diplomacy with swords and fun quotes). Can the 2nd edition be completed in an evening?
That doesn't sound like a problem to me.

If game length is an issue there's gotta be houserules out there to make the game end faster.
PSY DUCK?
Taishan
Apprentice

Post by Taishan »

Wrathzog wrote: That doesn't sound like a problem to me.

If game length is an issue there's gotta be houserules out there to make the game end faster.
IIRC, the players take turns generating, placing and moving their forces, and every player's turn brought a new instance of politicking and backstabbing. Sure we could have houseruled that you couldn't do that, or that each turn had to be done within a few minutes, but there was a lot of booze involved too :)
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

It's not Game Of Thrones if there isn't more politics and backstabbing than actual action.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Drunk, yelling and treacherous... sounds like you got it right.