King

Mixed Martial Arts

Post by OgreBattle »

Anyone else follow it here?
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Re: Mixed Martial Arts

Post by Neeeek »

OgreBattle wrote:Anyone else follow it here?
Hmm. My brother does, so I see a bit of it. That Silva ending was "I recommend not watching the replay" horrible.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

On occasion, yeah.

Rousey/Tate was match of the night tonight and I haven't seen a man's leg bend that way since Joe Thiesmann.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I did, a long time ago. As in "Ken Shamrock, pre-neck injury".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Ironic, I've recently been reliving my time doing MMA lightweight amateur costumed (DC and Marvel) fights in 2010 and 2011.

It got ridiculous because as Dana White commented (he watches amateur fights sometimes) "You are essentially recreating MMA from the ground up just like UFC did years ago. But the rules are in place for a reason. People are getting seriously injured."

I once knocked a guy into a two day coma by punching the back of his head when he went to grapple me. I visited his bed often and was there when he awoke. He gave up fighting after that, but it was that incident that made me realize how dangerous it was.

We adopted some UFC rules such as no elbows or headbutts but kept the allowance that even if you are knocked out you are permitted to continue without weeks of waiting.

I had to quit due to concussions and injuries, but considered taking it back up when I return to DC/capitol area.
I haven't had contact with those people for over a year so I don't even know if they are still doing it, but I'll get back in shape and take it up again, see what changes they've made since I left.

My persona was Marvel comics' Deadpool.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I love watching Silva fight, I copy his techniques often, but seeing his leg bend that way around Weidman's was grotesque. I don't know how that happened but I suspect that's a career breaker.

When I fought in DC I got to meet Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Kimbo Slice, George St Pierre (blew my mind), and a few other pros.
Jason David Frank tried to fight but he has no skills. That made me sad.
I got some lessons, became friends with Mayhem although he is going through rough times right now, and talked with Dana White via Skype.
All in all it was a whirlwind. The "superhero fights" took off in popularity thanks to a government agent friend that sponsored it, and if not for him I would not have been able to do such things.

But I never did get to meet Silva. I think he wasn't interested.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

sigma999 wrote:Ironic, I've recently been reliving my time doing MMA lightweight amateur costumed (DC and Marvel) fights in 2010 and 2011.
This sounds awesome. Got a link to any old videos?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

ubernoob wrote:This sounds awesome. Got a link to any old videos?
I've been searching for quite a while online but there are no public records of the fights!
I'm having trouble finding any record of the DC MMA amateur bouts on YouTube actually.
I recall my agent friend telling me "Some of the fighters are government agents that can't have their identity revealed publicly" so I suppose that's the whole reason.

I recall watching a DVD of the replays so I know it's on file, and probably multiple cameras in the audience, but there is this secret underground "society" in DC where the employees keep to their own.
I promise you I'd upload anything I can legally get my hands on but it might take a while.
I should be back there with those people by early 2014 when my probation ends. I was a naughty boy given some time off as punishment for my crimes, which has been difficult, but you can't get away with such things and I gladly accepted my judgement.

One of my favorite fights was Batman vs Bane, Bane being this covert ops agent I know that loved the 90s cartoon villain.

EDIT: I forgot to mention earlier, one of my best celeb meetups while fighting as Deadpool was getting to meet Rob Liefeld, creator of Deadpool.
He's this great funny person that knows how to handle a crowd, although a bit shy in public.
I invited him onto the cage floor after one fight and announced "Rob Liefeld everyone!" and the crowd went wild.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

sigma999 wrote:
ubernoob wrote:This sounds awesome. Got a link to any old videos?
I've been searching for quite a while online but there are no public records of the fights!
I'm having trouble finding any record of the DC MMA amateur bouts on YouTube actually.
I recall my agent friend telling me "Some of the fighters are government agents that can't have their identity revealed publicly" so I suppose that's the whole reason.
I really want to call bullshit based on the things I highlighted in Sigma's post.
But then I just saw an MMA superhero video recently.

So for all of your viewing pleasure, Spiderman Vs Batman+Robin.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, clearly that's UK, and Sigma was talking about a league in Washington DC. I could see some government workers in secret service or the like being into it, and having some professional troubles if it was learned by their superiors they were doing essentially underground fight club.

I totally want to see Sigma in his Deadpool costume, though.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

While it's entirely possible some people working in the government have previously enjoyed underground fight clubs or even do it in their spare time while employed, much in the same way that some of them collect stamps, it's not related to their job: the artificial situations set up in MMA things (and the banning of "ways to end a fight ASAP by potentially killing/crippling your foe" in favour of "awesome takedowns and submission holds") don't result in the training the government wants its trained fighters to have, and obviously if your government job is filing paperwork rather than being a SEKRIT AGENT ASSASSIN NINJA SPY, they don't really want you going and risking post-concussion effects for no reason.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

My main point was more along the lines of "shhh...Imma superhero. I can't tell you who I am under this mask."
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
erik
King

Post by erik »

This reminds me of a guy who dated a friend of my wife. His backstory was more ridiculous than most any of my RPG characters.

Purportedly he was a Lieutenant in the army at 17 after graduating early. Adopted a kid around age 18 (eventually adopting 3 kids). And he was a vice president of IBM-GE (I think? because why pick just one mega company when you can invent some amalgam of two?). When I googled the company the only listing of it was on some backwater newspaper where he was mentioned in a personal ad congratulating him as becoming a VP or somesuch. He said he was in charge of some branch of their international sales so that he had to fly out of country frequently. Oh yes, and in addition to having a side business of buying homes to flip, he was also in the country music industry, having lunch with Keith Urban and Nicole Kidmann. There's more, but details get hazy. I don't think I had knowingly met an honest to god compulsive liar before him.

So yeah, Sig, cool story bro.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Any videos of your fights on youtube?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei wrote:While it's entirely possible some people working in the government have previously enjoyed underground fight clubs or even do it in their spare time while employed, much in the same way that some of them collect stamps, it's not related to their job: the artificial situations set up in MMA things (and the banning of "ways to end a fight ASAP by potentially killing/crippling your foe" in favour of "awesome takedowns and submission holds") don't result in the training the government wants its trained fighters to have, and obviously if your government job is filing paperwork rather than being a SEKRIT AGENT ASSASSIN NINJA SPY, they don't really want you going and risking post-concussion effects for no reason.
This is accurate. Thank you Koumei. It was indeed just a hobby that picked up in popularity due to word of mouth and ample attendance.
I never professed to be a "pro fighter" although people told me repeatedly that my level of talent was "somewhere between amateur and pro".

At the time I had a boss that was ex-Secret Service. He taught me how to shoot among other things. He was fed up with my antics in the arena so he slapped on a mask one day and reversed my arm joint during a fight "just to show you how ridiculous this is". I was undeterred.

Cynic is just being a... Cynic. Although, that link to the Batman vs Superman fight is mostly accurate. Add more muscle, speed, and sometimes shirtlessness, high cage walls, and a bloody nose, and you have it.

As far as credibility goes, I'm actually laughing right now.
I was reluctant at first to mention such things because I keep my private life apart from my "internet life", but this year while I live away from the capitol and from the people I care about, I've been bringing such things together slowly. It might have disastrous results, might not, I don't know.
My friends in the NSA get frustrated when I blend hobby with occupation.

I suppose the burden of proof is on me. At the moment I have none, so it does seem like absolute bullshit, but only if you've never done things such as meet celebs and public personalities. I wasn't allowed to take photos due to my identity, and wasn't allowed a copy of the photos certain celebs took with me, although I'm pretty sure they still have it. Meeting Mila Kunis, Topher Grace, and Ashton Kutcher on a hot summer of 2010 in the dark city night club for instance was a chance encounter but a memorable one, or getting to meet the Wachowskis and Keanu Reeves in a DC production studio meeting arranged by a friend.
I even got to chat with Obama thanks to the connections my boss had; after saving the life of an agent in 2011 by planting a bullet between the eyes of an attacker, word got around and things just add up. It's not like I have a special relation with anyone, I'm just some guy in the DC area with a weird job.
It's all just stories. I'm not going to crumble under the weight of disbelief if you don't want to accept this as reality, and calling me a psychotic liar will be no worse than the accusations my own family throws at me when I talk to them. I've told them what I do and what I've seen, and they don't believe me.

So, as much as I'd love to link a video for you, it will take time to reconnect with my past and future employers but it should be about the end of this winter that I see results.

And why am I on an RPG forum?
I come here to have fun. I'm living off savings right now, carless and jobless, and I get bored with the long days waiting. Being a nerd is what I was doing before I worked for the gov, and I continue to do so after.
Encountering people such as mathematical geniuses, professional game designers, and government agents are all likely in the realm of the internet.
I may have had struggles in the past with drugs in coping with PTSD and painkiller abuse, resulting in shitposts or general nonsense, but after a year long addiction to Valium and frequent panic attacks this year I've taken to stress eating (which I hope to eliminate with a good workout routine) to cope instead.
I'd say the gain of 15 pounds of flab would be better in every way than being labelled a "junkie".
Last edited by JonSetanta on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

sigma999 wrote:
Cynic is just being a... Cynic. Although, that link to the Batman vs Superman fight is mostly accurate.
Oh...you....stop with the flattery. Also it was a Batman/Spiderman video. Seriously, at least pay attention when I reluctantly gave you at least a wobbly two-legged stool to stand on.
sigma999 wrote: I suppose the burden of proof is on me. At the moment I have none, so it does seem like absolute bullshit, but only if you've never done things such as meet celebs and public personalities. I wasn't allowed to take photos due to my identity, and wasn't allowed a copy of the photos certain celebs took with me, although I'm pretty sure they still have it. Meeting Mila Kunis, Topher Grace, and Ashton Kutcher on a hot summer of 2010 in the dark city night club for instance was a chance encounter but a memorable one, or getting to meet the Wachowskis and Keanu Reeves in a DC production studio meeting arranged by a friend.
I even got to chat with Obama thanks to the connections my boss had; after saving the life of an agent in 2011 by planting a bullet between the eyes of an attacker, word got around and things just add up. It's not like I have a special relation with anyone, I'm just some guy in the DC area with a weird job.

Encountering people such as mathematical geniuses, professional game designers, and government agents are all likely in the realm of the internet.
I totally agree that you can meet all those people on those internet. But until I read your posts in this thread, I didn't know that Deadpool and Captain Atom were also part of that elite cadre of anonymous internet strangers.

I'm going to get into costumed MMA and fight as The Question! Probably get my ass whooped but that's because I haven't found Lady Shiva to teach me yet.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

double post
Last edited by JonSetanta on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Cynic wrote: Oh...you....stop with the flattery. Also it was a Batman/Spiderman video. Seriously, at least pay attention when I reluctantly gave you at least a wobbly two-legged stool to stand on.
The eyes see one thing and the fingers type another.

I'd pay good money to see you fight. I saw some interesting costume choices for the female competitions, as well as the grappling got very technical and brutal as opposed to the male tendency to stand and kickbox.

A costume MMA persona is just that though. I don't claim to be Deadpool. It's not even roleplay; I've encountered people more serious about their fictional personas when LARPing. It was just a costume and a series of one-liners between fights.

Damn. I'm really itching to show you folks, not as to brag but to see what you think of it.

Does anyone want to talk about technique?

My interest with martial arts began in high school when I tried out for wrestling but had this continuous rumbling appendicitis problem so my endurance was shit. I couldn't even job without vomiting so I took to biking, which doesn't use the same muscle groups, and weights.
I learned "lung fu do" a decade ago, it's a Baltimore kung fu offshoot, didn't get far and I suffered a rib injury from not blocking properly, but it got me started.
I did a lot of reading, studied jeet kun do with an Army friend, and joined a kind of underground fight club in mid college.
I had quite a few injuries from that but it was all in good fun.
I learned some MMA techniques from a Baltimore gym. Didn't get far with that, only good enough to know how to evade being grappled. I don't weigh more than 155 so that's not enough mass to put the pin on a 200 pound wrestler without being lifted into the air so I stay on my feet.
I was forced to use self defense techniques taught to me by a cop years ago when there was a threat to my life in college. It ended with vigilantism and attracted the attention of those very same spooks I mentioned earlier, probably for the best since I suck with academics, and it all snowballed from there. In essence it was something like "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" but without the showbiz. I fit the profile.

Upon entering the best, and most stressful, job ever I found that, as an NSA friend mentioned, it was much like the world of "Murim" in the manga The Breaker; this hidden world of plainclothes fighters that operates by somewhat different rules from traditional civilian life, anything from an unassuming old person that can disable with their bare hands to a young woman with a killer kick. Many people in DC packed concealed firearms be they actors in training or actual agents, but they were rarely used as defense. They simply weren't needed.

So, overall, I've collected a hodgepodge of boxing, muay thai, kung fu, tai kwan do, wing chun and other "on your feet" styles, mixed into a kind of speed-reliant combo routine that mixeds little hand parries with a haymaker when I can. I'm not very strong but as my old boss said "You have the skill to put power behind those blows".
I pause randomly between strikes to judge whether my opponent will react or not, and generally don't bounce much when preparing for a strike.
When someone goes low for a tackle I do the Tyson thing and give them an uppercut to the jaw that puts the matching leg's force behind a kind of twisting blow. If I'm being kicked at distance I tend to counter by attacking their ankle or knee.
If I want to legitimately disable someone, it's all elbows and knees.
A friend called it "confusion fu" because "Jesus Christ, who fights like that? No one knows what you're going to do next"
Next year I'll begin jiu jitsu and resume gym training so I can adapt to ground fighting better.

Sorry for typing about this at length but I get excited when MMA is mentioned. It might be a kind of monomania.
Friends in person and on Facebook don't want to hear it, and in my isolation from agents during my time off it gets lonely...
Last edited by JonSetanta on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Sorry, I should clarify, Cynic; I didn't mean you were female, although you might be, but that the styles vary by sex. Women tend to be more cautious than throw a suckerpunch to the jaw.

However one berserk fight I saw was while sitting next to Mayhem, who was absolutely gleeful to be watching Harley Quinn scream and go at it on the ground with Domino, so I kept glancing at his reaction.
"Don't watch me, watch them" he said.
I told him he kept making faces that were fun to watch.
"I'd rather be up there but this is almost as good" he said.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

In an alternate reality where I am fit and able to present as female, I fight costumed MMA as Raven.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

So you wish to be the little girl.

I seriously wonder what's going on in the capitol right now. Looks like I'll have to investigate that first off when I get back there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Little. Sure.... (the Comics Teen Titans were more like 18 or so, originally. I mean, I'd use the cartoon version of the costume because all that draping cloth would be bad for a fight, but...)

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Huh. I was thinking Teen Titans. I thought it was an exclusively teenage character.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I think I would be forced to somehow cosplay Danny the Street.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I just contacted Rob Liefeld about his visit to DC, checking to see if he remembered anything from his visit in 2010.

He has no recollection. This made me sad, but that's fine since he is a buisy guy and I should have written to him earlier; I had assumed he was the type to not answer fan mail.

I'll see if he wants to see a Deadpool match next year or so, but he expressed displeasure at watching people "beat on each other" so I don't think he enjoyed the MMA aspect of it.
We did talk at length about the development of the Deadpool character though. He doesn't like what the current writers are doing with it one bit. His original concept was less zany and more "functional".