What are the best gimmicks/keywords in MTG?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

What are the best gimmicks/keywords in MTG?

Post by OgreBattle »

Those special rules that show up in a single MTG block then largely disappear:

Echo, rampage, kicker, banding, exalt, splice, persist, landfall, devotion, undying, phasing, that sort of thing

Which ones do you think were the most interesting, or which ones sucked ass but could be improved on? If you could put all of the 'gimmicks' you like in a single block, which ones would you pick?

Conceptually I like banding as it represents your tiny men forming an army together to go kill big monsters, but it's explanation text is really wordy and there's a chance someone interprets something wrong about it in any given game.

A good 'replacement' for Banding was in the stronghold set where the en-Kor cards had abilities like:

"The next 1 damage that would be dealt to [this creature] this turn is dealt to target creature you control instead."
"The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to target creature this turn, that damage is dealt to [this creature] instead."
So your sneaky scout banding guy would have that "others take damage for him" power while your shield wall banding guys have the "takes damage for others" power.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I was pretty fond of splice and morph. Also, I don't know if these got carried on or not, but I liked convoke and radiance from Ravnica.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

Arcane was one of, if not the most, parasitic keywords ever. But I still love to entertain the idea that Splice can make a return if it isn't linked to Arcane at all. "Splice on to Instant/Sorcery" would be a pretty cool mechanic.

I'm also a huge fan of Rebound, and Consuming Vapors is one of my most favorite cards ever.

Basically, I like keywords that get you extra Value (tm) out of spells.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I'm a combo/control player, so undying and persist struck me as bullshit. Unless you're going to give people a ton of exile effects, those two turn spell-based creature removal into a two-for-one. I know MaRo thinks people who play creatureless decks are having badwrongfun, but seriously.

Speaking of bullshit that MaRo loves: infect. Poison counters are apparently MaRo's favorite mechanic. Because healing the damage his creatures do is being a meanyface poopyhead. As is countering spells. Like ever. If you counter someone's spell, then you're a bad person who should feel bad.

Split-second should never have been printed. People love to talk about the importance of interactivity, and split-second's raison d'etre is to prevent interaction. There's no way to salvage it, and there're very few ways to deal with it (all blue, and all niche).

Now, onto the mechanics I think are fun:
  • Countermagic. All of it.
  • Cascade - horrifically overpowered, but hilarious.
  • Annihilator
  • Handcycling, like Timetwister, Wheel of Fortune, and Molten Psyche.
  • Flash. I want to make an EDH deck where everything is either an instant or has flash, just for laughs. Would I be able to resist the temptation to throw in Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir?
  • "play the top card of your library" effects, like Future Sight.
  • Countermagic
  • Landfall. It rewards you for something you were going to do anyway. That's indescribably awesome.
  • Level up
  • Cycling
  • Retrace
  • Rebound
  • Overload
  • Countermagic
Last edited by NineInchNall on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Rampage was largely uselessness.

Banding is better represented by the En-Kor damage redirection text.

Bands with Other Legends is probably the stupidest keywording MtG ever did.

Trample is better represented by "may deal damage as though it was not blocked"

I liked Kicker, Threshold and Cycling -- as they were all effects that changed a given card's cost and valuation during the progress of the game.

Echo was meh.

Buyback was way cool in concept, but in practice rendered too many deck types obsolete. It was basically a "you must be playing a srs tournament style deck against this. Screw your theme decks and casual play"

Shadow was thematic, but kinda stupid overall.

Phasing was thematic, but horribly undermined by bad designers who didn't realize just how bad a condition it was.

and after that was when I stopped playing, so I can't comment.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

I like mechanics that give me card advantage or virtual card advantage (which probably classifies me as a Spike (the player, not the creature type))
  • Bestow
  • Monstrosity
  • Indestructible
  • Buyback
  • Flashback
  • Hexproof/Shroud/protection
  • Annihilator
  • Cycling-with-effect
  • Forecast
  • Kicker for multiple effects
  • Persist/undying
  • Soulshift if I had a bunch of good creatures to go with it
  • Recover and Rebound sound good, but I haven't used them IIRC
I also like Wither/Infect when I use it, but not when other people use it.

Vigilance is also something I like, as is evasion.

EDIT: Bizarrely, I don't like Unearth. It's probably because I play Karador in EDH.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Storm is the hands down the strongest mechanic, also a personal favorite of mine.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I liked alternate victory/loss conditions. The great thing about Poison wasn't that you couldn't heal it, it was that you were forcing people to play a different game. Same with milling and stasis, really.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Stasis doesn't force people to play a different game - it stops people from playing the game. (I used to run a casual stasis deck, which got super-duper silly once I jammed Jace, the Wallet Sculptor into it.)

But yeah, alternate wincons are fun. My Niv-Mizzet EDH deck used to have Laboratory Maniac just because.
Last edited by NineInchNall on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pet peeves:
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

fectin wrote:I liked alternate victory/loss conditions. The great thing about Poison wasn't that you couldn't heal it, it was that you were forcing people to play a different game. Same with milling and stasis, really.
I don't see how poison is a different game, it's basically the same game only they need to do 10 damage instead of 20.

Also NiN casual stasis, do you hate fun or something.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

It's a different damage track, and doesn't interact with normal health (except via leeches). Normally, for example, you might rely on life gain to counter damage; that's not a viable option for poison.

MtG's support for alternate victory conditions really isn't great though.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

fectin wrote:MtG's support for alternate victory conditions really isn't great though.
There are many roads, but they basically all lead to Rome?
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
fectin wrote:MtG's support for alternate victory conditions really isn't great though.
There are many roads, but they basically all lead to Rome?
While there's poison, milling, and a dozen diferent obscure cards that win the game conditionally those cards rarely see play. (though lot's of degenerate EDH decks have Laboratory Maniac as their win condition)

Pretty much all the competitive decks plan on reducing their opponents life total to 0 be that by playing dudes and turning the the sideways making 20 copies of grapeshot and sending them to the dome, or making infinite dudes (then turning them sideways).
Last edited by Mistborn on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Pretty much. Compare with L5R, where there is (or was) a constant arms race between strategies that crushing their opponents and strategies that peg the "I win!" honor counter.
There were also genuine-threat enlightenment victory decks out there at various points, as well as dishonor loss decks.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

I'm a combo/control player, so undying and persist struck me as bullshit.
As the opposite style player... people who aren't playing combo/combo control, aren't really allowed to draw cards. So they have to find alternate ways of generating card advantage. Its only right. I mean otherwise they basically fail the same game test.

So.
Split-second
Cascade
Persist
Scry
Undying.
Double Strike
Hexproof (Which I tend to hate playing against but if not then aura enchantmets are inherently card advantatge hosers.)
Bestow
Flash
Morph
Regenerate
Indestructible
Haste

187 creatures don't get a key word but "when this enters the battlefield" is a thing they do everyset.

also... "When this leaves play" the thragtusk power doesn't have a name but it was an awesome creature last season.

I started out hating it because it gained 5 life and left a token when it left play, then I realized it was a creature that was awesome because it excerpted pressure equally vs all decks.

I enjoy seeing an environment where most strategies are viable, and I understand that some strategies have to be toned down to do that.

My favorite ever was "Sped red" that played like small red guys and land D, I miss that deck but I know how yeah Maro is like "Thats badwrongfun M_v" shrug. Thankfully magic is always changing each season.
Last edited by Midnight_v on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

This may cause unfathomable hatred for me, but I really like Sweep.
I usually play casual stuff, and when landfall came out, I immediately pulled out my Saviors of Kamigawa cards. :D

Other than that...
Flanking
Persist
Cycling
Channel (a bit like cycling, but the idea of a creature turning into a sorcery when you don't want a creature is pretty damn cool)
Flash

My EDH deck was a Counter Flash deck with Teferi for a general. Never played a thing on my turn. Really pwerful 1v1, but weak as hell multiplayer.
Now I use Bruna Light of Alabaster and mil myself for enchantments.

And storm was broken. Hate that mechanic.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Split-second should never have been printed. People love to talk about the importance of interactivity, and split-second's raison d'etre is to prevent interaction. There's no way to salvage it, and there're very few ways to deal with it (all blue, and all niche).
Yeah because infinites are soooooo interactive.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

NineInchNall wrote:I'm a combo/control player, so undying and persist struck me as bullshit. Unless you're going to give people a ton of exile effects, those two turn spell-based creature removal into a two-for-one. I know MaRo thinks people who play creatureless decks are having badwrongfun, but seriously.

Honestly something has to the control decks honest, that means having threats that a resilient to at least some of the control decks answers. Even control decks are supposed to have bad machups,
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Buyback was way cool in concept, but in practice rendered too many deck types obsolete. It was basically a "you must be playing a srs tournament style deck against this. Screw your theme decks and casual play"
Not really, the only problem with it was in its infancy when there was no counters due to type 2 or whatever it is called now. but that is the problem, this gimmicks are made around the idea of buy more to be able to play type 2, and not even bother playing casual play.

a capsize deck with whispers and academy is meant to screw with anything, that is the point. the problem is not the gimmicks, just that everyone is always in tournament mode like they will be the next to appear on ESPN at the world's championship.

Sharazad should be considered a gimmick in and of itself. is unglued or the other set even considered in these gimmicks?

How about ante? That was a gimmick fun until it was considered gambling by idiot lawyers, while store sell "grab bags" all the time and it is not considered gambling, randon packaging of minis is not considered gambling, etc...
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Deathtouch just might be my favorite.
It's the true equalizer in creature to creature combat. A 1/1 can take down something of any toughness.

As for a complete list download Magic Set Editor and look up the keyword section. It's all there.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Lord Mistborn wrote:Honestly something has to the control decks honest, that means having threats that a resilient to at least some of the control decks answers. Even control decks are supposed to have bad machups,
Most split second cards are actually control effects. Of the 15 cards with the keyword, there are 3 creatures, one combat trick, and one combo card; the rest are controlly removal/steal/counter shit. Only two of those represent anything like a "threat": Quagnoth and Stonewood Invocation. And that's only because of shroud.

The vast majority of split second cards are things that control decks run to get by responses - even non-counterspell responses. Example: In a 4-player game the other day, my friend was playing his Krenko deck and was threatening to go infinite with goblin tokens. I had a Treachery in hand, so I could steal Krenko for basically free. However, he also had a Skirk Prospector in play, so he could just sac whatever I targeted, leave me without mana, and go infinite on his next turn. If I had had Take Possession instead of Treachery, he wouldn't have been able to use his sac outlet - or anything at all - in response.

Split second isn't about fucking over control decks. Hexproof, indestructible, can't be countered, undying, persist, and protection serve that purpose. Split second is about making control more effective by making it less interactive.
Last edited by NineInchNall on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current pet peeves:
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

I liked wither - the idea of giving some value beyond chumping to weenies was an interesting paradigm shift.

I wouldn't want it as the norm for creature combat, but it was a nice niche mechanic.

As to counterspell - while I don't hate the concept, I dislike how prevalent it is as a mechanic. Especially the "counter anything for 1UU at common" spells that's been a staple of every format since basically forever, usually coupled with a common, instant three-mana card draw spell.

It's not utterly OP, but it is something that would be nice to be shelved for a block or two just for freshness purposes.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

MisterDee wrote:As to counterspell - while I don't hate the concept, I dislike how prevalent it is as a mechanic. Especially the "counter anything for 1UU at common" spells that's been a staple of every format since basically forever, usually coupled with a common, instant three-mana card draw spell.

It's not utterly OP, but it is something that would be nice to be shelved for a block or two just for freshness purposes.
Wow, you mean you weren't around for "counter anything for UU at common"?
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.