Keeping a world dynamic without wasting too much time

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Keeping a world dynamic without wasting too much time

Post by momothefiddler »

from the GM- or Player-driven thread:
Stahlseele wrote:In my opinion, a world needs to be GM driven, so that it is not static too much outside of what the players do in it . . it needs to be moving forward in time, changing in places in an internally consistent manner . .
Sadly, this places so much on the GM that barely anybody ever even tries.

I'm currently running a PF game with emphasis on exploration and (hopefully eventually) empire building. There's not a whole lot to keep up with at the moment, since because Reasons the players only know of/interact with a single city right now and one of them is playing politics so they're already the primary force changing their immediate locale. But that's not everything that could change and it's not always gonna be the case.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping my world "moving forward in time" without spending a huge amount of my limited prep time on things that end up being completely irrelevant?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I did a game and at the beginning I put in some time and threw down like 25 plot hooks for the PCs to pursue. When they resolved one, I replaced it, but I also updated unresolved ones every one or two sessions (I used a shared google doc). So a plot hook about recruiting for a pirate contest became a plot hook about raiding the judging of that contest. A hook about a dude looking for bodyguard work became a hook about his widow looking for revenge. A hook about attending a masquerade ball became a hook about identifying one of the participants. A hook about investigating a possible necromancer went through several stages: 'check out possible necro'->'bounty on definite necro'->'stream of refugees fleeing zombie horde'->'zombie horde outside.'

Because the hooks were very low-res until interacted with, they took very little time to fiddle with.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Speaking from experience with some indie Diablo clones, you can get a surprisingly good feeling of being dynamic with very simple random tables. Write up several classes of events (say, monster type X stirring in Y, Steve gathering allies in Z, Merchant Company 37 attempting to do foo) and a little table with like four progress states and one for not meaningfully developing for each class with probabilities assigned in whatever manner seems best. Then roll on them at whatever interval feels appropriate. That sounds stupidly simple, but trust me, if you don't tell your players you're doing it they may very well not figure it out. The "nothing happens" result is critical for this effect because it means the timing of stuff is inconsistent.

You'll want it to output both stuff going completely horribly wrong and stuff getting successfully resolved by local groups. Since you want eventual empire building, the various results should impact the numbers you use for the empire stuff. If you're feeling fancy, you could have the local defense spending alter the tables, or if you're lazy you can just tack on adjectives to make it sound like a more serious problem when it happens in a better-defended area.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
OgreBattle
King

Re: Keeping a world dynamic without wasting too much time

Post by OgreBattle »

momothefiddler wrote: Does anyone have any tips for keeping my world "moving forward in time" without spending a huge amount of my limited prep time on things that end up being completely irrelevant?
Seasonal changes for some background dressing, this can lead to events like "monster people raid the food storage" or "typhoon season is here, you have to find an alternative route from sailing". I like AngelFromAnotherPin's suggestion too.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

IME it helps to have a structure based on one major plotline and to have the minor plotlines hanging off it. So if the big bad captures Dyfin's Spear then you step the minor plotlines forward then, rather than trying to keep track of '3 months since X, one month until Y'.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

I keep a calendar when doing this and mark off the days. You can also note accomplishments whether minor or major. Its up to you. It's pretty easy and creates a timeline. Which is the best way I know to actually make players feel the passage of time.

Also NPCs having lifetime events that are a mark of age. NPCs getting married, having children, dying of old age etc. Depends on just how much time you plan to have pass in your campaign.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Powered by the Apocalypse games use clocks to track this.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

Chamomile wrote a blog post on Critical Insignificance that detailed a way to dynamically progress region/world events. Take a look.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Some of the "ideas" on this thread...
:bored:

Look, wasting prep time is bad so wasting it on events that don't matter is bad.

Creating an elaborate mechanism that generates events that don't matter automatically with less prep time is bad, because it STILL wastes ANY prep time on on stuff that doesn't matter AND because actually the time you spent writing the events that don't matter generator... was also wasted prep time.

Doing what Chamomile apparently did and writing a vast mess of advice that may as well amount to "hey why not calculate exactly how many quests you need and write up EVERY quest/encounter for your entire campaign in advance?" is... still bad because at best you are gambling way to much prep time way too many sessions in advance, and at worst you are creating a shitty CRPG style experience, or even worse than the worse Chamomile just wrote a gigantic waste of time generator generator that merely generates an "events that don't matter" generator that in turn is a waste of time that generates events that are still also the majority of the time a waste of your time.

But even aside from all that... what's with the focus on events that don't matter? Off screen unrelated distant events in a "dynamic" game world are things that aren't just a waste of prep time they are a waste of game time too.

Resolving what the players do, informing them of the events actually RELEVANT to their adventures, and informing them of the actual consequences of their adventures are all things which matter, and which have real and significant time costs. Telling them about events in other places that are not the result of their actions nor likely to impact their actions is a waste of precious table time.

As such "dynamic" off screen information in ANY sensibly run game deserves and requires as little cost and attention as possible. "rumor has it the king of far away is sleeping with the dragon of kinkiness" is an off screen event you probably shouldn't waste ANY time on and should ONLY ever come up as a short off the cuff response to some attempt to gather actual relevant information that FAILED.

You shouldn't even need to have a prepared list of such things. You should be able to rattle that kind of dross off the top of your head and if you can't... you probably shouldn't be running a game at that point anyway. The MOST you are going to do with such off the cuff bullshit is remember it or record it as something you might LATER turn into something that actually matters, thus hopefully recouping your wasted game time with some accrued interest.

"But but but!" you say, "WHAT IF, the PCs go to some region and interact with things that have been going on off screen that they didn't know or care about until suddenly right now?" you say.

So the hell what. You cannot adequately prepare for sudden player driven shifts in what is or isn't important in any given campaign. And if the PCs DO suddenly decide they need to skip town and travel to a place far far away and adventure there instead... you just generate that material once that becomes clear, and that MAY involve out of game prep time, and you do NOT care about it's "dynamic" off screen events before that moment in time that the players frame of reference shifts to it, BECAUSE it was flat out a total waste of everyone's time to tell them all the fuck about what was happening in far away land while they were previously only playing in right fucking here land.

Now on the other hand...

Offering a changing rotation of quests or plot hooks as the game progresses is fine, even ideal, but rather clearly if you think you can predict any further than an at best vague idea of the next set of hooks beyond what the players are currently dealing with before you see what the players actually do with the current set of hooks... you are running a pretty piss poor non-interactive campaign. Why the hell would you write each plot hook 4 (or whatever) ignored "steps" deep when players might nip it in the bud 1 step in? Or ignore it ALL the way through regardless?

OK so "you didn't deal with this quest early, now you MUST deal with it's consequences now!" is all very well like ONCE EVER, do you actually plan to do that with ALL the quest chains? Ok, most of them? Even any notable minority of them? Right, so in other words players can and by every right SHOULD ignore the VAST MAJORITY of quest chains in their entirety with absolutely NO consequences. Because you do not have the TIME nor the charity and tolerance of your players to make EVERY quest they do not take nag them repeatedly with status updates and then eventually jump in their faces and DEMAND attention and indeed for those same reasons you cannot even do that any amount of time that we could even come close to referring to as "Often".

If that is true, and it damn well is, what in ANY way is the value of writing up the future steps of ignored quests in advance compared to just writing up entirely new sets of disposable quests/hooks when players seek them out, or in relatively immediately prior prep time and just having some of those have some relevance to prior in game events/choices?
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

You could just write one set piece battle, then insert it into any plothook taken for the session:

"and in the spooky woods you find... the necromancer with his medium sized animal skeletons!!"
"and inside the abandoned mansion you find... the necromancer with his medium sized people skeletons!"
"tracking down the murderer into the sewers you encounter... the necromancer and his medium sized rat skeletons!"
"It turns out the bandit leader is... a necromancer who has been raising their victims as medium sized skeletons!"

Nobody will ever know.