Combat Feats and Spheres

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Combat Feats and Spheres

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Olympic Thrower [Combat]
You have learned to put your momentum behind things when you throw them.
Benfits: This Combat feat scales with your base attack bonus.
  • +0 You can make a "charge" attack with thrown weapons. For every 10 feet you move, you gain one extra range increment on your thrown weapons. You of course do not have to move adjacent to your target. You only have to move at least 10 feet in their direction.
    +1 Every 10 feet that you move during your ranged charge lowers the penalty for each range increment on weapons you throw by one step.
    +6 You can make a ranged full attack with thrown weapons during your charge.
    +11 You can use the power attack option with thrown weapons.
    +16 Each of your thrown weapon attacks now acts as a non-magical line area effect, with you as its point of origin, and with its maximum range equal to five range increments with the weapon you've thrown. Use the same attack roll for all targets along the same line. Precision damage only counts against the first target of this attack.
Deflect Arrows (Combat)
You can protect yourself and allies from ranged attacks.
Benefits: This combat feat scales with your base attack bonus.
  • +0: Once per round when you would normally be hit with a ranged weapon, you may use a free hand to deflect it so that you take no damage from it. You must be aware of the attack and not flat-footed.
    +1: You may use any weapon you are armed with to deflect arrows.
    +6: You may use this ability to deflect an arrow aimed at an ally within your reach.
    +11: You may deflect magical rays and exceptional weapons like alchemist's fire with this ability.
    +16: You may deflect up to one such attack per round for every point of Dexterity bonus you have.

Ironhide (Combat)
You have learned how to maximize the protection afforded by armor.
  • +0: Pick one specific suit of armor. You have trained so extensively with this armor that it is like a second skin. You no longer are fatigued after sleeping in this armor.
    +1: All armor check penalties are halved for this armor for you.
    +6: You gain a +1 competence bonus to AC for every 4 character levels you have when wearing that armor. You lose this bonus any time you are denied your Dex bonus to AC.
    +11: When wearing this armor, you gain DR X/- where X is equal to the AC bonus granted by your armor. This stacks with any other DR you may have, if that is beneficial. You lose the DR any time you are denied your Dex bonus to AC.
    +16: You gain fire, lightning, acid, and cold resistance equal to your BAB when wearing this armor.
By spending 1 day "breaking in" a new set of armor, you can change the armor that this feat applies to.

Wolfpack Tactics (Combat)
You play well with others.
  • BAB+0: If an ally is flanking an opponent you are in melee with, you are considered to be flanking that opponent also, and get all the normal benefits of flanking.
    BAB+1: Once per round you may make an Attack of Opportunity on an opponent damaged by one of your allies.
    BAB+6: If one of your allies is flanking an opponent, you are considered to be flanking that opponent also, even if you are using a ranged attack.
    BAB +11: You may change your initiative order to act on the same initiative count as one of your allies. This free action must be taken after initiative checks are rolled, but before regular rounds begin. It lasts for the entire combat, or until you ready or delay your action, just as if you had initially rolled this initiative roll.
    BAB +16: You may step in front of an attack directed at one of your allies that is within your reach as an immediate action. You take the damage from the attack instead of them, or if it is a non-damaging attack you are affected instead of them. Any resistances or immunities you have against the attack apply normally. This can work against rays, but not against area attacks.

Time Sphere
Special: Three times per day, you can activate any power from this Sphere as a swift or immediate action, regardless of its normal casting time. Also, you can terminate any effect you create from your Sphere prematurely as a Free action. Abilities based on psionic powers are fully augmented up to the maximum effect possible for the manifester level, as normal for psi-like abilities.

1st Deja Vu (not Mind Affecting)
3rd Haste
5th Slow
7th Time Hop
9th Anticipatory Strike (CPsi, similar to Greater Celerity)
11th Temporal Acceleration
13th Mass Time Hop
15th Temporal Stasis
17th Time Regression (CPsi, allows you to travel backward in time for a round)
19th Mass Hold Monster (not Mind Affecting)
Last edited by PhaedrusXY on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 11 times in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Mass Hold Monster (As normal except not a mind-affect)
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Hmm... that's pretty potent. Since that's normally a 9th level spell, I'd probably move Mass Time Hop down a level and put that at 15th. It's a pretty good suggestion, though. Thanks.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

You could put temporal stasis in there. That's about as time-flavored as it comes.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Quantumboost wrote:You could put temporal stasis in there. That's about as time-flavored as it comes.
Ooo, even better. Unless you want something more combat oriented.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

...how is a touch attack Fort-or-die not combat-oriented?
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

I'd... forgotten about that spell. I had confused it with Sequester, which really isn't combat oriented as it only works on willing subjects. Yeah, I think that fits better flavor-wise.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I though temporal stasis was just magical cryogenics?

Man, I need to look it up.
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Temporal stasis is magical cryogenics of time. But it's magical cryogenics that doesn't require the frozen person's consent, and if you don't *want* to be frozen in time, then that's effectively like being dead. Or permanent paralysis that doesn't even let you take mental actions.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

What about a spell for level 19?

edit: Also, uploaded the feats (or at least Deflect Arrows) to the wiki, if you don't mind (I'll delete them if you mind). I'm not really liking Ironhide; it seems like a pure number booster. Some armors specifically halve your armor check penalty already, so that gets rid of a reason to use one of them. Also, I thought we were trying to avoid competence bonuses to AC. I'd upload Wolfpack Tactics but it lacks that short descriptive blurb.
Last edited by Surgo on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

"You help your friends stab people in the back."
<something clever>
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

"You help your friends stab people in the face." It seems to be a running gag in the Tomes.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Surgo wrote:What about a spell for level 19?

edit: Also, uploaded the feats (or at least Deflect Arrows) to the wiki, if you don't mind (I'll delete them if you mind). I'm not really liking Ironhide; it seems like a pure number booster. Some armors specifically halve your armor check penalty already, so that gets rid of a reason to use one of them. Also, I thought we were trying to avoid competence bonuses to AC. I'd upload Wolfpack Tactics but it lacks that short descriptive blurb.
Please feel free to upload them.

Yeah, Ironhide is just a numbers booster, and it also duplicates some of the abilities of the Tome armors. I liked it when I wrote it. Now I'm not sure. :bored:

I added a fluff descriptor to Wolf Pack Tactics.

I'd forgotten that the Spheres usually have another power at 19th level. I don't know WTF to put there... Maybe I'll stick the Mass Hold Monster (not mind affecting) in there...
Last edited by PhaedrusXY on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Added a new feat, Olympic Thrower, inspired by a discussion on another board.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The final olympic thrower ability needs some serious rewording.

I suggest making it an instantaneous line effect that has one attack roll.

That way you know what happens when it hits a wall.

Right now, it hits a wall, does some damage, then continues through the wall for no goddam reason even if it didn't actually break the wall, killing everyone on the other side of the wall that it runs into.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

I meant for it to be a Line effect, like a lightning bolt, as you're saying. I guess I didn't word it too carefully...

I do want it to be for each attack on a full attack, though. Otherwise I think it is kind of weak. How many guys can you usually catch in a line, anyway?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

PhaedrusXY wrote:I meant for it to be a Line effect, like a lightning bolt, as you're saying. I guess I didn't word it too carefully...

I do want it to be for each attack on a full attack, though. Otherwise I think it is kind of weak. How many guys can you usually catch in a line, anyway?
Two

Four if you move first.

Lines aren't a big deal, toss them out. The problem is that stupid unstoppable walls killing is going to result in you walking into rooms and finding dead grandmas as often as you kill monsters. You just want it to be stopped by a wall is all. It can still be an attack action.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
PhaedrusXY
Journeyman

Post by PhaedrusXY »

Kaelik wrote:
PhaedrusXY wrote:I meant for it to be a Line effect, like a lightning bolt, as you're saying. I guess I didn't word it too carefully...

Two

Four if you move first.

Lines aren't a big deal, toss them out. The problem is that stupid unstoppable walls killing is going to result in you walking into rooms and finding dead grandmas as often as you kill monsters. You just want it to be stopped by a wall is all. It can still be an attack action.
I updated it a bit and put a link to the Line area effect description, which specifies that you need Line of Effect. That should be enough for all but the dangerously retarded.
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

For the deflect arrows feat, instead of giving infinite deflection at level 16, (or maybe as well as), why not use up AoOs to deflect arrows? Each projectile you deflect costs you an AoO.