[Tome of Virtue] Incarnate

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

[Tome of Virtue] Incarnate

Post by Username17 »

The Incarnate
The power of Gehenna manifests as the blue fire in my soul.

Incarnates are tireless advocates of one of the guiding philosophies of the Great Wheel, and channel power in the form of blue soulfire from those realms. This gives them powers similar to outsiders and a warrior-philosopher position in society similar to that of a Cleric. However their powers are great and infrequently manifest while their bodies are frail - leading them to fill a position in a party of a sorcerer or conduit.

An Incarnate has powers that are comparable in strength to wizardly spells that are usable just a few times in a day. These powers are Charisma based, so it is to be expected that an Incarnate will be put Charisma as their primary attribute.

Starting Age: As Sorcerer
Starting Equipment: 4d4x10gp
Alignment: Incarnates not only must have an alignment, but they actually have to care about and talk about their alignment with their party members. Incarnates detect their alignment as Outsiders do.

Hit Die: d6
Base Attack Bonus: 1/2
Good Saving Throws: Will
Skill Points: 4+Int
Class Skills:
Level:Abilities:ChakrasEssentia
1:Mantles, Mantle Invocation, Soulmelds20
2:Aspects, Essentia21
3:Arcane Sight31
4:Better Soulmelds31
5:Philosophical Commitment32
6:Blood of Soulfire42
7:Planar Power42
8:Uncanny Soulmelds42
9:Planar Ally42
10:True Incarnation52
11:53
12:Astonishing Soulmelds53
13:Ass Whupping Lynch Mob53
14:63
15:63
16:Giant-Size Soulmelds64
17:74
18:74
19:74
20:King of Kings84

Class Feature

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An Incarnate is proficient with Simple Weapons and one additional weapon per level. They are not proficient with any armors or shields.

Soulmelds (Su): An Incarnate has the ability to call upon a number of special blue glowing intangible yet vaguely outsider-related wardrobe accessories that cause them to glow blue and gain additional powers. Each Soulmeld is unique, and should have its own name (check the Soulmeld chart below in order to name it). Each Soulmeld has a Basic bonus, a Mantle Power, and an Aspect. An Incarnate can only show a fraction of the Soulmelds they have at a time. At first level, the Incarnate "knows" 3 Soulmelds and learns an additional Soulmelds every time they gain an Incarnate level. The number of Soulmelds that can actually be used at one time is the character's number of Chakras, which is 2 at first level, rising to 3 at 3rd, 4 at 6th, 5 at 10th, 6 at 14th, and finally 7 at 17th. An Incarnate can change which Soulmelds are available (up to the character's number of Chakras) at dawn or dusk, but it only takes a Swift Action to activate and display any or all of them. Soulmelds shed light as a torch. Actually calling upon the Mantle's power is usually a Standard Action.

Basic Bonuses: Every Soulmeld (even Uncanny or Giant-Size Soulmelds) has exactly one Basic Bonus, which is defined when the Soulmld is learned:
  • Deflection bonus to AC (1/3 level, rounded up)
  • Resistance Bonus to Saving Throws (1/3 level, rounded up)
  • Enhancement Bonus to an attribute (1/3 level, rounded up)
  • Enhancement Bonus to a Skill other than Use Magic Device (Level + 2)
  • Enhancement Bonus to Natural Armor Bonus (1/3 Level, rounded up)
  • Spell Resistance (8 + Level)
  • Energy Resistance to one Energy type (3 points per level)
Basic Mantles: At first, each Soulmeld is attached to a Basic Mantle, and the power delivered when called upon is as such:
  • Ether Scarab (NN): All creatures within 5' + 5'/2 levels must make a Will Save or be transported to the Ethereal Plane. The Incarnate may choose to be transported or not at their whim.
  • Mephit (NN): The Incarnate lets loose a spray of foulness. All creatures in a cone that is 15' long plus 5'/2 levels must make a Fortitude save or be nauseated for d4+1 round. Creatures suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls and AC for the duration whether they save or not.
  • Energon (NN):
  • Dusk Beast (NN):
  • Skulvyn (CE): For 1 minute/level, all enemies within Short Range of the Incarnate must make a Will Save or become slowed until the effect end.
  • Abyssal Maw (CE): Touch Attack inflicts a d8 plus 10 points/level in damage.
  • Quasit (CE): Touch inflicts 4d6 Dexterity Damage, Fortitude Save for half.
  • Dretch (CE): All creatures within a 10' radius burst within Medium Range must make a Fortitude Save or be nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds.
  • Advespa (LE): One creature within Medium Range must make a Will Save or be controlled as per dominate monster for 10 minutes/level. This is a [Mind Affecting] [Compulsion].
  • Imp (LE): With a Touch Attack, the Incarnate inflicts 3d6 Dex damage.
  • Spinagon (LE): Ranged Touch Attack inflicts 2d8/level in Force damage.
  • Hell Hound (LE):
  • Cerdival (NG): One creature within Medum Range must make a Will Save or be held for 1 round/level. This is a [Compulsion].
  • Protectar (NG): One creature within short range is healed for 10 points of damage per level. The Incarnate can then speak any language the target can for the next hour.
  • Bariaur (CG):
  • Lantern Archon (LG): All enemy creatures within Short Range must make a Will Save or be frightened for a d4+1 rounds. This is a [Mind Affecting] [Fear] effect.
  • Hound Archon (LG): All enemy creatures within Short Range must make a Will Save or Cower for a d4 rounds. This is a [Mind Affecting] [Fear] effect.
  • Ramadeen (LG): One enemy within Short Range suffers 2d6 Force damage per level.
  • Azer (LN):
  • Formian Worker (LN):
  • Modron Drone (LN):
  • Skeroloth (NE): All creatures within Medium Range must make a Will save or be calmed to the point that they are Neutral to all other creatures that they were until that point hostile or unfriendly to.
  • Shadow Beast (NE): Target within Medium Range must make a Will save or be transported to the plane of shadow.
  • Mud Slaad (CN): One target within Short Range must make a Fortitude Save or be polymorphed into a tiny frog.
  • Magmin (CN): All other creatures within 20' of the Incarnate suffer 1d6 + 1d6/level of Fire Damage, with a Reflex save for half, as a wave of flames spread out in all directions from the Incarnate's body.
Aspects (Sp): Each Soulmeld also has an Aspect, although it is only available when the Incarnate has Essentia (starting at 2nd level). While Essentia is invested into a Mantle, the character can use the Aspect power at will. This is generally a Standard Action and if the Incarnate is using armor they are not proficient with, they suffer a spell failure chance. Once Essentia has been removed from the Mantle (generally to use a Mantle's Invocation a second time in a day), the Aspect power can no longer be used.
  • Aspects:
Essentia: Starting at 2nd level, an Incarnate gains access to Essentia, a fungible power source made out of soulfire that is blue. The character can place their Essentia into their Soulmelds when they place those soulmelds into their chakras. With Essentia in an active soulmeld, the Incarnate can use the Aspect Power of that Soulmeld. The Incarnate can use up the Essentia from a soulmeld at any time to reuse the Mantle Invocation after it has already been used (giving what is essentially a second use in the day). Expended Essentia returns at dawn and dusk and can be placed into different soulmelds.

Arcane Sight (Su): from 3rd level on, an Incarnate can see magical auras as if they benefited from arcane sight all the time. In addition, they can see Strong and Overwhelming auras of any alignment. This doesn't bother them in any way, and they can use it to target attacks even in darkness.

Better Soulmelds: At fourth level, each Soulmeld can be attached to a Better Mantle, and the power delivered when called upon is as such:
  • Achaierai (CE):
  • Succubus (CE): One creature within Medium Range becomes Friendly, Subservient, and Patient with the Incarnate for 1 day/level unless they make a Will Save. The Incarnate can speak every language the target can for that period whether the save succeeds or fails. This is a [Mind Affecting] [Charm] [Compulsion].
  • Jovoc (CE):
  • Uridezu (CE): All enemies within Short Range suffer 6 points of Intelligence Damage (Will Save for Half).
  • Barghest (NE):
  • Shadow Mastiff (NE):
  • Canoloth (NE):
  • Mezzoloth (NE):
  • Nightmare (NE):
  • Barbazu (LE):
  • Bezikira (LE):
  • Rast (NN): For one round/level, the Incarnate can make a gaze attack each turn as a free action against a target within Short Range. That target must make a Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1 round/level.
  • Ravid (NN):
  • Red Slaad (CN):
  • Chaos Beast (CN):
  • Formian Taskmaster (LN): The Incarnate takes control of a target within Medium range for 1 day as per dominate monster unless they make a Will Save. This is a [Mind Affecting] [Compulsion].
  • Formian Warrior (LN):
  • Visilight (LN):
  • Lupinal (NG):
  • Bralani (CG): A wind blows.
Uncany Soulmelds: At eighth level, each Soulmeld can be attached to an Uncanny Mantle, and the power delivered when called upon is as such:
  • Vrock (CE):
  • Bebilith (CE):
  • Erinyes (LE):
  • Osyluth (LE):
  • Hamatula (LE):
  • Rakshasa (LE):
  • Night Hag (NE):
  • Yagnoloth (NE):
  • Green Slaad (CN):
  • Blue Slaad (CN):
  • Gray Slaad (CN):
  • Zelekhut (LN):
  • Formian Armadon (LN):
  • Modron Overseer (LN):
  • Liliend (CG):
  • Movanic Daeva (NG):
  • Avoral (NG):
  • Ecalypse (NN):
Astounding Soulmelds: At twelfth level, each Soulmeld can be attached to an Astounding Mantle, and the power delivered when called upon is as such:
Giant-Size Soulmelds: At 16th level, each Soulmeld can be attached to a Giant-Size Mantle, and the power delivered when called upon is as such:
Mantle Invocation (Sp): An Incarnate can use the Mantle Powers of any active Soulmelds each one time between dawn and dusk (or dusk and dawn if the sun has set). However, if they have Essentia (see below) invested into a Soulmeld they may activate it a second time. So at first level an Incarnate has only 2 Chakras bound, so they could call upon two different powers before the sun sets, and two powers after the sun sets before it rises anew. The Save DC of any save a Mantle's power offers is 10 + 1/2 Level + Charisma Modifier. And every power is used at the Incarnate's Character Level. Invoking a Mantle's power is a spell-like ability, and if the Incarnate is wearing armor they are not proficient in they suffer that armor's spell failure chance.

Soulmelds Table
To name a Soulmeld, combine the Mantle and the Aspect with an adjective, a color, and a thingy. This can go in any order you want. So for example, you might have Dimming Electric Corollax Wings or Corollax Crushing Cyan Gauntlets. Whatever. You can fudge it a bit so it sounds less ridiculous or not, at your option. Also, you can really have your soulmelds be any color you want, as long as they are blue.
Roll (or Choose)AdjectiveColorThingy
1:CrushingAzureClaws
2:RisingBerylSpats
3:FierceAqueousCloak
4:SpontaneousBlueWings
5:ClutchingCeruleanArmor
6:GnawingCobaltMask
7:GraspingElectricGloves
8:DevastatingMidnightSleeves
9:ExpansiveIndigoRobe
10:SecretNavyHelm
11:ProtectiveOceanHat
12:MonstrousSapphireTabard
13:HorrendousTealGauntlets
14:AwesomeTurquoiseCape
15:WickedUltramarineBelt
16:DepressiveSkyBoots
17:RepetitiveSteelTrail
18:VengefulCyanSporran
19:GorgeousPaleBraids
20:FutileRedAmulet

Last edited by Username17 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sunwitch
Master

Re: [Tome of Virtue] Incarnate

Post by Sunwitch »

FrankTrollman wrote:Also, you can really have your soulmelds be any color you want, as long as they are blue.
...Unless they're red.
Last edited by Sunwitch on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Within the Tome of Virtue, red is just another shade of blue.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Energon (NN): You are able to shut down, or turn on any constructs that you see.

Yes, I know what it should be.

Energon (NN): You are able to cast Cure or Inflict spells at will with a range of touch. These spells deal 10 positive or negative energy/level

Azer (LN): You can set things on fire, with your face

Hell Hound (LE): Spit lines of fire; or jump really high, a la 3.5 MM >_>

Magmin... wtf? so many fire-based things. D:

Bariaur (CG): they're goat centaurs, who are also rangers, and celestial.
All allies within a 30' radius of yourself treat one enemy you can see as if they were a favoured enemy; the bonus is as if your Incarnate levels were ranger levels; basically +2 to attack, damage, skill checks and saves at level one, and +2 more every five levels. This stacks with everything, including favoured enemy bonuses.

or something.

Hound Archon (LG): Aura of Terror, or w/e they get.. except lanter archons get it... fffffffffffff

I'm guessing that Elementals can't be used; but stuff like a Marut or Balor could?

How about Demodands, Yugoloths, and Nightmares? They could all go in, right?

This class is actually wierder, and wilder than the Totemist, since you've got stuff from actually opposed alignments on the same class list of options. Which means that having redundant monsters isn't a big deal, since Alignment matters.

Oh, how about Protectars from MiniHB? they're basically low CR outsiders that can heal with CLW 3/day or something.

I'm guessing that creatures from the plane of shadows is alright, since you've got the ethereal scarab there. MiniHB had a crocodile, feline and elephant type in there.

I'll post more ideas tomorrow.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

Bearded Devil: Probably would have worked better for Soulborn (rage and infernal wound effects damage while activated), but something involving infernal wound damage could work. Could be a buff for an ally, though that's not really the Incarnate's role. I don't really consider the Beard a big part of the way the thing works in play. Infernal Wound's more functional and about as iconic as the chills.
Last edited by Sunwitch on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I don't have a copy of the MiniHB, and I don't even remember the Potecticats. Are they the ones that break up into trucks? I do need more low level Good Otsiders. There are so few that it's kind of ridiculous.

My idea with Essentia is that it basically gives you a Reserve Feat. I'll need to have ~20 things that an Aspect can do when loaded with Essentia.

I'd like characters to commit themselves to a spoke on the wheel at level 5, and get some appropriate power. Being committed to a wheel spoke gives you some power and requires that you have a certain number of Cs, Ns, or Ls and that you have a certain number of Es, Ns, or Gs in your Mantles. Three Chaotics and Three Evils doesn't sound too onerous to grab an Abyssal Orientation at 5th level, considering that at that point you have 8 Mantles and you could seriously cover the entire thing with Quasit, Jovoc, and Succubus.

And yeah: Lantern Archons and Hound Archons really aren't that different. Maybe I should give the fear pulse to the Hound Archon and give the Lantern Archon some kind of laser death sentence instead?

It'll get more work this weekend I think. While I'm busily avoiding working on my presentation on intestinal parasites as therapy and aWoD subsystems.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

FrankTrollman wrote:I don't have a copy of the MiniHB, and I don't even remember the Potecticats. Are they the ones that break up into trucks?
Whut?
My idea with Essentia is that it basically gives you a Reserve Feat. I'll need to have ~20 things that an Aspect can do when loaded with Essentia.
So a basic list of ~20, and you select which one when you invest it?
intestinal parasites as therapy
Again... whut?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The dealio with the Mantle Aspects is that a 2nd level Incarnate is going to have 4 different Mantles, each with their own Aspect. And at dawn, they are going to be able to bind two of them to Chakras and put an Essentia point into one of those two. While the Essentia Point is in that Mantle, the Aspect power can be used at-will. And it can be expended to get a 2nd shot of the Mantle's 1/day encounter ending powers.

So it works like a Reserve Feat. If the character grabs an electrical zap attached to their Azure Cloak of the Abyssal Maw, they can use it as often as they want, but if they decide to use the Abyssal Maw's murder rend a second time before nightfall they lose their electrical zap until the sun sets.

The concept is that there are certain auto-immune diseases that people in really shitty countries with lots of intestinal parasites don't get as much of. So the theory is that rather than it being that getting such auto-immune disorders when you're compromised by hook worms is lethal and actually kicks you out of the statistical sampling - that intestinal parasites may in fact be protective against autoimmune disorders.

It's called the "hygienic hypothesis" in immunology, and initial studies have actually performed pretty well. We don't have a working model for how it works, and personally I'm calling it the "Immune System Boredom Effect" until someone demonstrates a protein pathway. As long as the immune system has important stuff to do it doesn't "get bored" and start burning holes in your intestines for giggles.

Think of it like that episode of Stargate Atlantis where Rodney's sister got infected with the nanites and they broke her legs so that the nanites would have something to repair instead of reformatting her brain.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Ah, now I understand (in both cases).

I'll throw ideas out for the one that I can help with.

Imp/Quasit: The Incarnate delivers a Poison with a melee touch attack that does not provoke. The damage is (a very large amount of Dex damage).

Hell Hound: The Incarnate exhales a 15' long (+5' per 2 levels) cone of flame that deals 2d6 Evil/Fire damage per level and sets the targets on Fire. A Ref save halves the damage and negates being on fire.

Hound Archon: All enemy creatures within Short Range must make a Will Save or Cower for a d4 rounds. This is a [Mind Affecting] [Fear] effect.
---
Achaierai: A toxic black cloud surrounds the Incarnate. All within 10' (plus 5' per 2 levels) take 1d8 damage per level and, on a failed Will save are affected by an insanity spell for 1 hour.

Succubus: The Incarnate can deliver a kiss as a touch attack that deals 1d4 Negative levels, +1 per 4 full levels, and bestows a Suggestion. A Will save negates the Suggestion.

Baghest: With a touch attack, the Incarnate may feed upon a target, tearing flesh from their body. They suffer 10 damage per level (Fort half), and if killed, can never be brought back by mortal magic. The Incarnate also heals damage equal to that dealt. Any excess is wasted.

Chaos Beast: With a touch attack, the Incarnate can force an opponent to make a Fortitude save or turn into a bubbling mess of ooze, unable to act. Every round they may make another save to regain control for the round, but every round they fail, they take 1 Wis damage. After 10 rounds, the effect ends, unless the target was reduced to 0 Wis in which case it is permanent.

---

Aspects:
-Thunder Shock: The Incarnate hurls a line that is 5' long per level. All in the area take 1d6 Electricity damage per 2 levels with a Ref save for half.

-Napalm EnemaImmolation: One square within Short Range bursts into flame, dealing 1d6 Fire damage per 2 levels (no save). Everyone adjacent to the target takes 1 Fire damage per level (Ref negates).

-Energy Leech: The Incarnate may make a touch attack that causes the target to make a Fortitude save or be Fatigued for 1 round per 3 levels.

-Ward: The Incarnate has a perpetual Magic Circle Against X effect, where X is any alignment opposing that of the Mantle.

-Curse: One target within Short Range must make a Will save or suffer a -1 morale penalty per 3 levels on their next d20 roll.

-Drowning Gaze: One living target within Short Range must make a Fort save or suffer the effects of drowning until the start of the Incarnate's next turn. This can be sustained to drown them to death.

-Force Dart: A ranged touch attack out to Short Range deals 2d6 Force damage, +1 per level.

-Frost Floor: A number of uninterrupted squares equal to the Incarnate's level, with at least one adjacent to the Incarnate, are affected by a Grease effect for 1 round per level or until any [Fire] effect takes place within the area, whichever comes first.

-Cheat Death: The Incarnate gains temporary hit points equal to their level until the end of their next turn or until depleted, whichever comes first.

-Wall Crawler: The Incarnate gains a Climb speed equal to 5' per level, or their land speed, whichever is lower.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

more outsiders from miniHB:

Protectar: they're feathery winged humanoids

there was a DDM for them; here just Ctrl+F for Protectar

at will: tongues; 3/day CLW

CR 2, Good (any)

the animal angels are Ramadeens, and they're mountain goat-headed; CR 4, LG, and can smite evil.

Shadow Beasts: usually evil

Ghirrash: Chaotic (any)
Grey, humanoid with feline like features; large
-paralyzing bite for 1d4+1 rounds
-pounce
-it has 4 arms, so 4 claw attacks
-DR 5/magic
-SR 14
-immune to poison, ER 10 vs everything
-CR 7

Khumat: always NE
Green, bipedal crododilian with stubby hands; it's actually a decent drawing; as is the Ghirrash's
-bite, tail slap
-swim
-DR 10/magic
-SR 15
-immune to poison, ER 10 vs everything
-CR 8
sort of boring

Thaskor
elephant; large, always LE
-DR 5/-
-same immunities, resistances
-Trumpeting Blast: once per 1d4 rounds; 10' cone, DC 21 fort save or be stinned for 1 round
-CR 9
-it's actually really smart for a melee type (I 12 W 13 Ch 16); and very tough (C 21), Str 31 on top of it all

other things:

Visage, LM; CE extraplanar Undead
-can create a major image, but only seen and affecting 1 target
-immune to positive energy, and holy water, but not turning
-dominate person
-assume identity; +20 bluff/disguise to be someone that they kill
-sneak attack dice +4d6
-they kill evil outsiders to create spawn; typical spawn control stuff
-CR 9

Entropic Reaper; again LM, Chaotic evil, extraplanar undead
-DR 10/ iron + law
-fast healing 10
-SR 22
-Entropic Blade; hitting a creature with forces them to make a fort save enter an 'entropic state'; where they take -4 to attack, and a 50% miss chance; they also can't cast spells, use magic items; and attacks blindly not able to distinguish anything; this also deals 1 pt of wis damage every round; at 0 wis, they discorporate into nothingness; to escape the state, you can make a DC 21 Cha check, and you get immunity to the reaper's entropic state for 1 minute; a restoration, heal or greater restorarion removes the entropic state
-1/day plane shift
-master of scythe; can use weapons 1 size larger
-CR 12

so, those are some more obscure outsiders.

I'm guessing that Nightwalkers and their ability to break stuff is okay for higher level aspects, right?

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Protecticats go!

Anyway, I am currently running with the Succubus Charm setting conditions to Friendly, Patient, and Subservient. This is assuming that the Battle Whining gets off the ground. If those conditions get set differently, I will try to accommodate.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Shit, I know Jovocs. Mean bastards.

Jovoc (CE): Any damage that you take is dealt to all enemies within 30 feet of you as automatic hit point damage. There is no save for this effect, and you must take actual hit point damage for this effect to work.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Gah! How has this been left unfinished?!

Roughly how powerful should the aspect abilities be?
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

NineInchNall wrote:Gah! How has this been left unfinished?!
Like this: :drool:

Seriously though, I have my Immunology final on Tuesday, I have my best friend's thesis to read and critique, and I have a partially completed and researched New York for aWoD. And then I've been poking around adding stream of consciousness suggestions for the Pokemon project.

Just haven't had time.
Roughly how powerful should the aspect abilities be?

An Aspect should be roughly as powerful as you'd think a Warlock Invocation should be, because it's an at-will power.

-Username17
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Damn it, Frank. How dare you assign higher priority to getting your M.D. than to finishing a piece of homebrewed RPG material for which you're not getting paid and that will likely only be used or even liked by a few people in the world? I mean seriously, man! :razz:
Last edited by NineInchNall on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

Is there some kind of theme you're going for with the aspects or is it basically just stuff like "thundershock" to do 1d6/level electricity damage or "fast" to gain at-will (and therefore basically permanent) haste?
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I second NIN's call for Frank to finish this. :razz:

Also, what kind of class abilities other than soulmelds will this class have?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

Mister_Sinister wrote:I second NIN's call for Frank to finish this. :razz:

Also, what kind of class abilities other than soulmelds will this class have?
The aspects seem to be the other major part, and figuring out just what they're supposed to do would be a major part in defining just how this thing's supposed to play. So far all we know is that they're meant to be used at will in contrast to the soulmeld powers which sort of nova-splode until the next day when used, thus giving the Incarnate something to do other than nova a few times and then fall back to the crossbow.
Last edited by Sunwitch on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Any updates?
<something clever>
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Basic Aspects

--As Charm Person, but with a duration of Concentration
-- You deal d6/level acid damage with a ranged touch attack (at close range)
---as ray of enfeeblement
--

Better Aspects
--you deal 1d6/level fire damage in a 15-foot cone
--as web, but with a 5-foot radius
--wall of fire, but affects 1 5-foot square/2 levels

Uncanny Aspects
--as Wall of Ice, but affects 1 5-foot square/2 levels
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Reminds me of the RoW monk... I like this class.

But why name it the Incarnate? Was the Incarnate from Magic of Incarnum a poor class? I thought it made a decent tank...
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

For Valor wrote:Reminds me of the RoW monk... I like this class.

But why name it the Incarnate? Was the Incarnate from Magic of Incarnum a poor class? I thought it made a decent tank...
Wasn't it supposed to melee with a d4 hit die and wizard BAB?
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
the_unthinkable
1st Level

Post by the_unthinkable »

I was expecting something similar to Nick Simmons and have it look suspiciously look like Bleach.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

IGTN wrote:
For Valor wrote:Reminds me of the RoW monk... I like this class.

Wasn't it supposed to melee with a d4 hit die and wizard BAB?
actually d6, but he did have Wizard BAB. Of course, that's just like Incarnate above, and the original had 2 good saves (Will/Fort) instead of just 1 (Will). Of course, they get less skill points... but that's kind of not important anyway.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

For Valor wrote: actually d6, but he did have Wizard BAB. Of course, that's just like Incarnate above, and the original had 2 good saves (Will/Fort) instead of just 1 (Will). Of course, they get less skill points... but that's kind of not important anyway.
One of my players played as one for like levels 5-9, once. She wasn't bad, honestly. She focused mostly on a pumped up Incarnum Weapon that did decent damage when it hit, and was generally able to hold her own with a sword-n-board warblade who hit more often but didn't do as much damage. (Although I did houserule to let her put slightly more essentia in her melds...)

The Incarnate and the Totemist aren't necessarily bad classes; they just aren't especially good. And when you consider the fact that the books have that horrific blue fetish, and how the power source has almost nothing in common with preexisting material, and how comparatively complex learning the system is...

Most players would just get a lot more enjoyment for less work out of a warblade, or something like what Frank's written.
Last edited by Blicero on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.