All good things come to an end - Andy Collins exits WotC

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Windjammer
Master

All good things come to an end - Andy Collins exits WotC

Post by Windjammer »

Next to Jesse Decker, Peter "The magic items we can't make in 4E" Schaefer, and a recently hired editor, past Monday was the final day for Andy Collins at WotC.

Several questions spring to mind.

1. Which felicitious WotC_forum poster will get canned for the occasion? Anyone left of appropriate standing to step into Frank's shoes?

2. Who is even LEFT at WotC remotely (!) capable of mechanical design? They got rid of EVERYONE now 'xcept for Mearls. They got rid of Heinsoo, Noonan, and now Collins (secondarily, Chris Sims and - now - Peter Schaefer), and I can't think of anyone left.

Leading on from 2.,

3. What type of product in the RPG area could WotC even attempt (at this stage) to design with the remaining staff? It really smacks like "well, we got D&D Essentials and don't plan to do much until.... when we hire a new team". I'm puzzled. Hate him however much you like (personally, I don't at all), Collins was the last guy left at WotC with a shred of insight into D&D's design.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

*shrug*

I can't see losing Andy Collins as a remotely big deal. 4E is already fucked anyway. Andy wasn't gonna fix it. Fuck 'em I say.

Time for someone else to try to fill his fail ridden shoes. It'll be hard to do worse honestly. Personally I don't know why they can't just hire some dude with some basic knowledge of math and game theory...
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Yeah, someone with some math skills would be nice. Granted, there's a strong risk the game will end up looking like an extended differential equations problem (kinda why I stopped trying to make games after my third such game/problem)....but someone willing to sit down with a calculator and check a few things would be nice, even if the system seems hopelessly beyond repair.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
areola
1st Level

Post by areola »

Wyatt is still there..
K
King

Post by K »

From the reports leaking out of WotC, it seems like the design team has been self-destructing between the camp that has realized that 4e is a pretty bad system for fantasy RPG and they want to mix it up by adding new mechanics, and the camp that thinks that 4e needs to cleave to their original design goals (regardless of how good of a system you get with those goals).

I'm not worried. Hasbro ran the math years ago when they realized that new editions made money, not support products. 5e is probably already in the spit-balling stage.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

K wrote:From the reports leaking out of WotC, it seems like the design team has been self-destructing between the camp that has realized that 4e is a pretty bad system for fantasy RPG and they want to mix it up by adding new mechanics, and the camp that thinks that 4e needs to cleave to their original design goals (regardless of how good of a system you get with those goals).

I'm not worried. Hasbro ran the math years ago when they realized that new editions made money, not support products. 5e is probably already in the spit-balling stage.
Hell, without realizing it, they could even be making 5e by attempting to liven up 4e. It could be sort of like ToB was for 3.5: an interesting new mechanic that largely resembles 4e's way of doing things.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

All good things come to an end. And so does Andy Collins's run at WOTC.
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

>implying Andy Collins's run at WotC was a good thing
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Psychic Robot wrote:>implying Andy Collins's run at WotC was a good thing
I was implying exactly the opposite. :roll:
DeadlyReed
Journeyman

Post by DeadlyReed »

K wrote:From the reports leaking out of WotC, it seems like the design team has been self-destructing between the camp that has realized that 4e is a pretty bad system for fantasy RPG and they want to mix it up by adding new mechanics, and the camp that thinks that 4e needs to cleave to their original design goals (regardless of how good of a system you get with those goals).
Really? Where are these reports?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

DeadlyReed wrote:Really? Where are these reports?
Who cares? It's not like anyone is going to issue a press release 'had argument, fired them for having insufficient loyalty.'

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Crissa wrote:
DeadlyReed wrote:Really? Where are these reports?
Who cares? It's not like anyone is going to issue a press release 'had argument, fired them for having insufficient loyalty.'

-Crissa
Actually, I care. I'd be interested to know more about the situation.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

WoTC only realized 4E was a bad system now? :P

It'd be fun to find out who are the idiots still clinging to it though in the design team.
Last edited by Zinegata on Thu May 13, 2010 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Actually, I care. I'd be interested to know more about the situation.
Fair enough. So would I.

But you do know we really aren't much of an audience for the juicy details, right? Nor would airing them result in a positive resolution? These sorta things you generally only hear about in people memoirs, not in the tabloids.

-Crissa
K
King

Post by K »

It's just my impression from comments made in various editorials. I don't have an inside man or anything.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Somebody ask K which editorials please :D.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

K wrote:It's just my impression from comments made in various editorials. I don't have an inside man or anything.
It's certainly a valid reading of the existence of articles like "I hate the 5 minute workday" and "I don't like Christmas Tree Items." Various members of the remaining design team have said outright that they don't like things that are in fact pillars of the basic 4e design.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Are these articles in Dungeon/Dragon?
RandomCasualty2
Prince

FrankTrollman wrote: It's certainly a valid reading of the existence of articles like "I hate the 5 minute workday" and "I don't like Christmas Tree Items." Various members of the remaining design team have said outright that they don't like things that are in fact pillars of the basic 4e design.
I have no doubt really that a lot of designers wanted to go with more radical changes to 4E but were voted down.

It's basically the same as with some of the bad decisions that happened with SR4 that you said you disliked. Sometimes as a lone designer, the group is going to add stuff to the game that you don't like and there's jack shit you can do about it besides bitch later about how horrible a decision it was and that you were always against it.

I don't doubt that a lot of designers were against the five minute workday or against Christmas tree items and the whole "small trivial awards" system that magic item gathering was made into.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Thu May 13, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Zinegata wrote:Are these articles in Dungeon/Dragon?
Greg Bilsland made some comments on his blog, for instance. E.g. http://gregbilsland.wordpress.com/2010/ ... e-workday/
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

hogarth wrote:
Zinegata wrote:Are these articles in Dungeon/Dragon?
Greg Bilsland made some comments on his blog, for instance. E.g. http://gregbilsland.wordpress.com/2010/ ... e-workday/
Ah. That's why I couldn't find them. They're in their own personal blogs.

Where's the Xmas Tree Items post though? Who said it?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

>After all, Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn could have stopped chasing those Uruk-hai; they certainly had expended all their daily attack powers on the battle along the river. But they kept forging ahead to recover Merry and Pipping. It wouldn’t have been a very interesting story if they’d decided to take a 6-hour nap, would it?

Implying that Gimli Legolas and Aragorn use 4e as their fucking system.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't recall Merry and Pipping being rescued that particular day, either.

-Crissa
areola
1st Level

Post by areola »

Crissa wrote:I don't recall Merry and Pipping being rescued that particular day, either.

-Crissa
:thumb:
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Judging__Eagle wrote:
>After all, Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn could have stopped chasing those Uruk-hai; they certainly had expended all their daily attack powers on the battle along the river. But they kept forging ahead to recover Merry and Pipping. It wouldn’t have been a very interesting story if they’d decided to take a 6-hour nap, would it?

Implying that Gimli Legolas and Aragorn use 4e as their fucking system.
Well no, it implies that an RPG based off LotR wouldn't reward people for taking non-LotR actions. Because we all know 4E is just about simulating LotR.