It Comes in Threes: Tome IRC game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Prak is bad at catching minor problems in copy/paste when he's copy pasted and reformatted 30 things that day...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Since I've pretty much already written the character up, here he is in all his broken cohort-abusing glory:

Razglaur Damnfang the Goblin Knight 6, attendant of Xagyg Nogaj

AC: ? = 10+4+?+5. Saves: 4/6/4.
DR: 3/-. Energy Resistance: any one 11. HP: 66 = 44+12.
Magic small bow
 Full attack: +12/+7, 1d6+10 (+6d6).
 Standard action: +12, 1d6+10 +2d4 Dex (+6d6).
Small lance
 Full attack: +10/+5, 1d6+2 (+6d6).
 Charge: +12, 2d6+4 (+6d6).
 Standard action: +10, 1d6+2 +2d4 Dex (+6d6).

Attributes: D 18, C 14, I 14, S 12, Ch 12, W 8.

Background: Royalty of a Fallen Nation.

Feats: Command (B), Mounted Combat (B), Subtle Cut (B -- if he can take a combat feat rather than getting Mounted Combat twice), Point Blank Shot, Sniper.

Skills: Intimidate, Knowledge (history), Listen, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot.

Equipment (this will depend on what you decide, but here are the basics): magic small bow, arrows, small lance, some kind of cool armor, magic kite shield.

OMG BROKEN cohort:
Xagyg Nogaj the Worg Barbarian 2 (CR 4), last scion of Clan Damnfang

Speed: 50' (55').
AC: 23 (21) = 10+2+1+5+5. Saves: 11 (13)/6 (8)/3 (5).
DR: (3/-). Cold Resistance: 6. HP: 53 = 35+12+6.
Bite: +9 (+11), 1d6+4 (+2, +1d6).
Trip bonus: 13.
-->Parenthetical values include RAGE.

Attributes: As a worg (S 17, C 15, D 15, W 14, Ch 10, I 6).

Background: Royalty of a Fallen Nation.

Feats: Track, Great Fortitude, Juggernaut.

Skills: Move silently, Survival.

Equipment: Rime hauberk barding (AC+5, ACP 5, ASP 3) [I thought this was fuckin' genius], small military saddle, saddlebags.

Speed: 50' (55').
AC: 23 (21) = 10+2+1+5+5. Saves: 11 (13)/6 (8)/3 (5).
DR: (3/-). Cold Resistance: 6. HP: 53 = 35+12+6.
Bite: +9 (+11), 1d6+4 (+2, +1d6).
Trip bonus: 13.
-->Parenthetical values include RAGE.
...which brings me to my next question: What sorts of equipment should we expect to start with?
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

I'm nearing completion on Aria Woodwhisper Ghaeleborn. Google ate my first attempt at writing a back-story, and I need to pass the amulet by Mask.

I haven't done BoG magic items before, but here is the philosophy I've been using for Aria. Give an item one base effect (the ones listed, like +AC or +Stat or +Saves) and a couple minor/moderate extra effects. The armor and weapon mods in BoG are available of course, and I'd say other options include passive level 1 spells, at-will level 1 spells, limited use (or limited utility) level 2-3 spells, and a host of other miscellaneous things like sustenance or pockets of holding or granting a fly speed or whatever you can imagine. Just don't do anything stupid and it should turn out fine.

Probably shouldn't take my word as gospel, though. I'm sure Mask will have a few things to say on the subject.
Last edited by Pixels on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Catharz, I hate you for making a cohort block that includes attacking. I hate you less because you made a bow using knight and that meshes incredibly well with my character.

But really, a pegasus can fly faster and you could just buy one and free up that feat for something else you want to have like blitz (because blitzing with a bow is cool).

The reason I'm pushing for flying mounts is two fold:
1) Flying mounts are cool
2) Both Koumei and I have access to flight already.

Pixels, I hate you so much for grabbing the bone sphere. I'm fairly certain that is the best sphere you could pick if your goal was to kill a game. I hate you so much. Thanks for killing the game. The amulet teleport ability is probably a bit strong considering we're balancing around things like all around vision, ring of sustenance, and handy haversacks.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

I take it that you are not a big fan of necromancers, ubernoob? Nothing wrong with having a few minions trailing, as long as you don't let them slow things down unduly or crowd out the important hitters.

I do suppose it's harder when you're not working on an actual battle grid on a table, though. If folks are concerned about it I'd be perfectly willing to swap Bone out for something else.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

you're right, there's wrong with a necromancer.

There's just something inherent in a character trailing another 10 behind him that rip through all oppositions and give one character the actions of 11.

That's the issue. But, it's up to Mask.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Minions really will be that game killing. For a PbP it wouldn't kill it, but PbP dies on it's own. Table top it'd actually be pretty ok. But the IRC format means that having to resolve that many actions will slow the game to a halt.

Please, for the love of god, pick a different sphere. Fuck, design your own sphere if you want something the current ones don't cover well. Just don't kill the game with minions.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Fair enough.

In that case, I wonder if Mask would let me play a slightly modified Empusa. I don't particularly want Tiresome or Refreshing (they don't really fit with a Empusa who has an upper planar bloodline anyways), and I also don't need the wings. If I could trade all that for +2 Cha instead I'd take it in a heartbeat.

If that's fine, then I have only have a few details left to tweak. The same link I provided before works for the revised character sheet.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Pixels, you do realize the reason I made the MvC2 rule was to prevent the shit that uber is talking about (and what Bone Sphere is made to do) right?

If you want minions, they either a) aren't going to be doing anything of import about 85 percent of the time because I can't be arsed to keep track of 2 to 12 more characters on top of 6 real people. b) Will be redone into basically an attack/fluff option for your character which will take up your standard action at least. Thankfully, you switched spheres already, but for anybody else who wants to get cohort-happy, see above.

Also, your items are better than the current characters'. Minor magical items tend to be +1/3 bonus to something + one minor Wondrous Item ability/1st level spell. You have three or four special tricks per item, and half of them are really good. I'd stab somebody for Silent Image at-will, for example.

Everybody: flight or some sort of flight-like ability would be nice. Prak, if you want to play demon!Toph, I'd turn one of your homebrew Sphere's granted abilities to something like the Snowscaper's Iceman slide trick.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

hell, I can just change one of the Earth Sphere's abilities to fly or something, and flavour it as telekineticing a big slab of rock

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:Catharz, I hate you for making a cohort block that includes attacking. I hate you less because you made a bow using knight and that meshes incredibly well with my character.

But really, a pegasus can fly faster and you could just buy one and free up that feat for something else you want to have like blitz (because blitzing with a bow is cool).

The reason I'm pushing for flying mounts is two fold:
1) Flying mounts are cool
2) Both Koumei and I have access to flight already.
1) Pegasus would be too large of a mount, both for the character and for indoor use.
2) Pegusus is not worg royalty.

Do you ever consider cool rather than pure mechanical benefit? I hate to 'Roll play rather than Role play' at you, but you can't make a goblin knight ride fucking pegasus.

What is your problem with a goblin knight having a warg mount? Is your irrational hate of the bonus feat this character automatically gets so great that you have to demand that I ignore it and instead have a goblin riding a fuqin magical winged pony in a jar?

I understand a dislike of broken caster cohorts generating superbuffed monsters or throwing out multiple SoDs a round (and just generally taking up time), but this seems insane.

That said, I'd be perfectly happy to look into methods of giving Nogaj flight. Airwalksair walk seems like a fairly balanced option (compared to fly in a minor item), even if it's technically higher level than fly.
I'm also perfectly willing to avoid pulling any cheese with tripping, overrunning, and whatnot. As you noted, the character is primarily an archer.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

why not just make Nogaj fiendish or something?

For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Made this on myth-weavers. The only thing I'm really edgy about is the at-will Benign Transposition. I can change that, if you want, Mask.

Diov Krad
Male NE Sun Elf Shadow Caster, Level 6, Init +4, HP 39/39, DR 5/Piercing, Speed 45 (90 fly)
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 3
magic (+2) Net (1 magic, 1 non-magic) +7 (+5 non-magic) (n/a, n/a)
Frost Spear (n/a) +5 (1d6, n/a)
magic (+1) Clinging Darkness (lasts 1 round) +6 (n/a, n/a)
magic (+2 AC enh) Magic Studded Leather (+5 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 21, Wis 14, Cha 12
Condition None
7 Basic Paths per 10 minutes
Regular DCs: 18, Chilled Earth DC: 20
Immunity to normal diseases
Magic Items:
1. Magic Net of Lesser Time Distortion
2. Magic Studded Leather of Speed
3. Earrings of Awareness: + Initiative and Benign Transposition at will
4. Amulet of the Mind's Eye: + Int and All-Around Vision

Also, how much char background am I writing?
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Prak_Anima wrote:why not just make Nogaj fiendish or something?
That's a cool idea as well.

Catharz, because you're doing a primarily ranged character I don't see your wolf's attacks really coming up much, so my complaint isn't one of power. It's one of 'hey, flight would be good' since everyone else likes to fly.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

duuuuude.... flying worgs.

Worg-Pegasus... WORGASUS!!

also, ubernoob, what's your charsheet look like?
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

For Valor wrote:duuuuude.... flying worgs.

Worg-Pegasus... WORGASUS!!

also, ubernoob, what's your charsheet look like?
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=211846
I'm probably going to rework stats to work with the improved ability score generation, but that won't change too much honestly. My character has incredible defenses, but doesn't have all that much offense. Most of the combats so far have been resolved with fireball. Lots of fireball.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

holy shit, man, you're got a Kamen Rider scarf!

I want a power ranger costume, now. Or one of their transformer things

"TYRANNOSAURUS! MASTODON! SABER-TOOTHED PTEROTOPS!"*

I'm also wondering where the mention of fireball came from. I don't see it on your char sheet. Is it from... oooh, Koumei's warmage.

*written while under the influence of alcohol
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

I cut back all of my items to +1/3 to whatever and one other ability each. Now they're more in line with what I see on other folks sheets, so it should hopefully all be good.
Last edited by Pixels on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

This still open? I wanna make another one of my Paladin-themed Samurais.
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

You'd be the last GoA, so yeah.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Would positive energy be a valid element for the Spellcard ability? It's terribly useless for killing things, but it would be a neat way to heal the party.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Pixels wrote:Would positive energy be a valid element for the Spellcard ability? It's terribly useless for killing things, but it would be a neat way to heal the party.
My character's 'tank' technique is to heal allies faster than enemies can damage them. Please don't invalidate my entire character like an asshole.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

I think that's a "No".

Just pick something awesome.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

what character roles do we have filled so far anyway?

For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

I've got "disabling people" down pat--forcing constant grease and blindness effects every round is my tack. I can also stab people with pointy ice if necessary. (controller)

Ubernoob is a paladin. 'nuff said (tank)

Koumei is a warmage (dps... er, dpr. Whatever, damage)

So we need one more damage? It looks like pixels taking that, actually..