Pathfinder: the Lowdown

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

To nerf something that's not overpowered? It fits the bill with a lot of other "improvements" they've made.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

hogarth wrote:The logic is stupid and makes no sense. I wouldn't have a problem if they just said that, by default, eidolons are "ill-suited" as mounts as per the Ride rules.
Someone actually brought this up in the thread--you can ride a creature that's "ill-suited" to be a mount, but you take a -5 penalty to ride checks. This is workable. Instead, they've gone the route of saying that you just can't ride it into battle for some reason though it's unclear what you're supposed to do from a rules perspective if the party is ambushed while someone is riding on their Eidolon. I suppose they're required to dismount on their first action. :roll:
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

So, why don't they want summoners riding these things, anyway? Is PF mounted combat awesome or something, or is it just the increased mobility they want to avoid?
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

RobbyPants wrote:So, why don't they want summoners riding these things, anyway? Is PF mounted combat awesome or something, or is it just the increased mobility they want to avoid?
Because it "doesn't feel right" - which is the ultimate justification for all of the other shitty changes they have made. /eyeroll
Xur
Apprentice

Post by Xur »

I'm ressurecting this thread for a question to all you people in the Den: is there anything you like about Pathfinder?* Like, you dislike anything but a handful of feats, classes, or maybe just the fluff in chapter x of the campaign setting.

I'm asking because I got the impression that a lot of people take just bits and pieces from Pathfinder and go back to their 3.5 homebrew, leaving the majority of Paizo's work alone.

* By that I don't mean "watching the fail of the Paizils" or some other shit, I mean real things written within the system and its supplements.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Paladin class pre-nerfing. The concept of a CMB/D.
malak
Master

Post by malak »

The art in their books
The GameMastery Guide
Sorcerer Bloodlines
Rogue Talents
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I like the idea that a 1st-level wizard can zap with minor magic all day instead of having to fall back on using a crossbow.

I like the idea (if maybe not the practice) of having a monk's flurry of blows work the same way as Two-Weapon Fighting.

I like eliminating the d4 for hit points and increasing the rogue's hit die to d8.

I like that polymorph effects involve less cherry-picking from the Monster Manual, and yet they aren't totally generic (e.g. "pick one ability from column A and one from column B").

I like the idea of eliminating the penalty for buying cross-class skill ranks.

I like the idea of barbarian rage powers and rogue talents, giving those two classes a bit of customisability.

I'm sure I can think of some more ideas I like, given enough time.

EDIT: The idea of sorcerer bloodlines (if not the execution), as above.
Last edited by hogarth on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

I like the changes to the skill system and that you can get an extra skill point through favoured class. The changes they made to the Paladin where good. The change to power attack is better in a (very) low optimization group. The extra bit of HP Wizards get helps at lower level. I hesitate to say Wildshape is better, but it's more manageable for players and DMs. I also like how Barbarian's rage works and the rage powers, although I liked the Beta version better.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

I like the idea that a 1st-level wizard can zap with minor magic all day instead of having to fall back on using a crossbow.
You seem to be confusing Pathfinder with 4e, here.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Xur wrote:I'm ressurecting this thread for a question to all you people in the Den: is there anything you like about Pathfinder?* Like, you dislike anything but a handful of feats, classes, or maybe just the fluff in chapter x of the campaign setting.

I'm asking because I got the impression that a lot of people take just bits and pieces from Pathfinder and go back to their 3.5 homebrew, leaving the majority of Paizo's work alone.

* By that I don't mean "watching the fail of the Paizils" or some other shit, I mean real things written within the system and its supplements.
I've asked this very same question quite a while back.

I like the talents, the idea of CMB/D, the idea of Bloodlines, The idea of monks with ki abilities, the idea of standardized HP rates.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

DragonChild wrote:
How so? A Pathfinder wizard can zap away with Ray of Frost or Acid Splash to his heart's content.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Um... I like that they gave the Arcane Archer actual spell progression... I mean, sure it's still fucking elf only for some reason, and it's not full caster progression so you'll only take like 3 levels max of it before changing to a better Prc...but hey, it gives you martial weapon prof, so you can use it to get into EK... which is a hell of a lot more useful than the old version.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

DragonChild wrote:
No, Pathfinder does it too. Cantrips and Orisons are at will, the number is just how many different ones you can use in a day
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

sake wrote:Um... I like that they gave the Arcane Archer actual spell progression... I mean, sure it's still fucking elf only for some reason,
That was a typo, something they are notorious for. (see Inquisitor) No classes in PF have racial prereqs.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

Sorry, I don't normally consider Ray of Frost to, well, exist, and thought you were talking about the useless zappy class features.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

A bullshit option is not an option.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I think he's referring to only at level 1, after you have color sprayed some people, you can totally ray of frost the other people. Or whatever.

Personally, I prefer Caltrops + Cloudy Conjuration for my cantrips, but that would require being in a Pathfinder game (or infinite Caltrop game) that also allowed a good feat from 3.5 that isn't ass.

I assume Cloudy Conjuration would be banned from any Pathfinder game even if it were allowing other sources.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

The old 1d6+1 zappy attacks where better than a crossbow at low levels, but they felt compelled to nerf them. I'd like to watch an archetypal PF game played, because I'm curious what they are thinking and doing while playing it.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

What's cloudy conjuration?
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Complete Mage Reserve Feat if I recall correctly.

Edit: Yes I do. Lets you create a square of sickening smoke when you summon a creature. Also acts as a fog cloud.
Last edited by TOZ on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TOZ wrote:Complete Mage Reserve Feat if I recall correctly.

Edit: Yes I do. Lets you create a square of sickening smoke when you summon a creature. Also acts as a fog cloud.
Actually, wrong on both counts.

It's not a reserve feat, it's a feat that allows you to create a sickening cloud either in the location of your conjuration spell, or adjacent to it. So you can Conjure Caltrops, and place a sickening cloud in or next to the cloud.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Fuck, I remembered the wrong keyword and didn't double check it. My bad.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I like the bardic knowledge and versatile performance.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I like Power Attack better.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.