Appropriate DC for jumping shenanigans

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Appropriate DC for jumping shenanigans

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

So in one campaign, I'm playing a Tome Fighter who wants to do the Mario and pull various jump-based maneuvers in and out of combat. He has a delicious community feat that makes standing jumps about as good as running jumps and also quadruples his jump check results. At BAB 6 it enables awesome leaping charge attacks, but that's mostly tangential.

I am trying to think of cool stuff level 6+ PCs should be able to do with Jump. Wall jumping of various kinds definitely comes to mind, but I'm not sure if there are any decent mechanics readily available. Thoughts? Item / spell suggestions?
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red Archon
Journeyman

Post by Red Archon »

Super stomping.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I have something that sort of fits. When I do a full round action jump, I can add falling damage to my total damage. Here's the community feat I selected.

----------
Battle Jump [Combat]
I know that there are already hundreds of Dragoon classes out there but to be honest, the whole idea of jumping on an enemy Mario style can easily be represented with a single tome feat rather than a PrC or, god forbid, a whole base class. So here you go.
+0: The jump DC is not doubled if you make a standing jump.
+1: If you take a full round action to jump your jump check result is quadrupled and you do not receive falling damage at the end of it no matter how high you jump but the enemy you fall on (if you do) does. The jump is made at the end of your turn and you land at the beginning of your next one.
+6: You can make a single melee attack at the end of your fall at your highest BAB, it counts as a charge attack except you do not provoke any attacks of opportunity. Even if you don’t precisely land on your target, as long as this attack hits, it counts as if you have (so add any falling damage to the damage roll).
+11: You can change directions mid jump allowing you to hit an enemy even if it has moved. You can hit any square a distance away from the original square equal to the vertical distance you jumped. You can also make a full attack at the end of your jump that still counts as a charge.
+16: You land with such force that any enemy within 30 ft (+/-10 for each size category to a minimum of 5 ft) of you must make reflex save DC equal to 10 + your jump ranks or fall prone and become stunned for one round.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

This is from somebody else's attempt to fix the skill system. If I can get Akula to okay these Jump rules, I should have a significant maneuverability boost.

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Tome_of_ ... kills#Jump

Also, potential problem with my super-jump. The enemy has some warning that I am coming. I'm lucky enough to have a shapeshifting spear, so I can probably morph it into a longspear or pike if the enemies only move a couple of squares away, but it is still definitely a weakness. Can you throw weapons at the end of a charge normally?
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

No. I'm not using the tome of prowess. It fails to be interesting, but with that feat and the it's multiplier it will allow you to deal far more bonus damage than a rogue.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

What if we go with what I mentioned earlier, where at max I get 1d6 extra damage for every 10 points on the check. I'd need to roll 100+ to get 10d6, and even then it wouldn't be on multiple attacks.
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

Jumping out of areas-of-effects ? (substituting Jump check for Reflex save)?
(maybe a little broken without some extra limitation, since skills scale faster)

Jumping over targets to quickly hit them from the rear? (something like a feint, perhaps)?

Bonus to movement rate when using Jump?

Ability to substitute a Jump for a 5-ft step?

Ability to do multiple Jumps, e.g. one after each attack in a full attack, to hit multiple opponents?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

CCarter wrote:Jumping out of areas-of-effects ? (substituting Jump check for Reflex save)?
(maybe a little broken without some extra limitation, since skills scale faster)
My Tome Fighter will get the ability to delay actions more effectively at some point in the future. Something sort of like that might be viable. Somewhat like how I can already 5-foot step as an Immediate action. But skill checks instead of saves is material that would be covered by another feat.
Jumping over targets to quickly hit them from the rear? (something like a feint, perhaps)?
I could probably find or set up environments where there are a lot of large objects I can jump around on. Or an open field, if I can clear 10 vertical feet with a horizontal leap. If my jumps are longer than my normal move speed, that could let me outmaneuver warbands of tiny men.
Bonus to movement rate when using Jump?
That's a straight-up ability, not a use of my existing ones. I am grabbing some Boots of Speed when I can, though. Those rules from out of some dungeons.wikia e-sourcebook I referenced eventually put jump distance on a formula only tangentially linked to base speed, but Akula has expressed his disinclination to use them.
Ability to substitute a Jump for a 5-ft step?
Once again, new ability, not using what I've got currently.
Ability to do multiple Jumps, e.g. one after each attack in a full attack, to hit multiple opponents?
Not sure, I might be able to do something like that, but I haven't studied the rules in depth. I have Horde Breaker, so I could flavor cleave attacks as hopping around a lot during weapon swings, I guess.

----------------

I'm thinking that I'll get the most tactical advantage out of super jumps when I'm in an environment where flying targets can't go too high, there's lots of boulder-to-cottage sized things decorating the landscape, and little cover against attacks from above is available.

If I set up a stronghold in the future, an underground labyrinth with walls that don't reach up all the way to the ceiling is practically a necessity.
CCarter
Knight

Re: Appropriate DC for jumping shenanigans

Post by CCarter »

Ah, sorry. I somehow misread this...
Avoraciopoctules wrote: I am trying to think of cool stuff level 6+ PCs should be able to do with Jump.
..as a general design question instead of a PC-creation question.
My bad.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Well, it's a fairly open question. I'm interested in what people think an appropriate DC for wall-jumping should be, for instance. And you are certainly giving me ideas.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Avora wrote: Well, it's a fairly open question. I'm interested in what people think an appropriate DC for wall-jumping should be, for instance. And you are certainly giving me ideas.
Don't give it one. Seriously.

Instead of doing stupid shit like coming up with DCs for the jump skill (because the skill system in 3E is insanely broken both in terms of bonus accumulate and in keeping up with actual special effects) you should just arbitrarily hand out special effects with how many ranks they have in the skill.

Keep in mind that you'll eventually have to stop at unlimited flight: hover, which is available not too far in a character's career. So at like 7 ranks of Jump people should be able to do infinite wall jumps.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

I saw this in a thread here once. Used it for a tiny robot PC once.

----------

Super Jump [Skill]
You leap tall buildings in a single bound.
This is a skill feat that scales with your ranks in Jump.
Benefits: You gain a +3 bonus to jump checks. You don't take armor check penalties to jump checks.
4: You suffer no penalties for jumping without a running start. Any penalties to your jump for having a speed less than 30 feet are reduced by half.
9: You suffer no speed penalties for crossing difficult terrain. You may move across water, rotted wood, or other surfaces that do not support your weight with no penalties and no chance of falling through as long as you move at least 20 feet each round. When you attempt a high jump, you may use the DC for a long jump of the same distance, but the vertical distance moved still counts against your speed.
14: As a move action, you may move a distance in feet equal to 10 + your jump modifier in a straight line in any direction (including vertically), even if you have no surface to jump off of. If you jump immediately after landing on a solid surface after a previous jump, this followup jump is made with a circumstance bonus equal to half your character level.
19: Once per each move action you are jumping, you may perform a double jump (roll jump again in mid-air).
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press