New Warlock Invocs.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I like, but...
Prak_Anima wrote: Infernal Barbs Least, 2nd
Cruel barbs and hooks sprout from your skin. Your unarmed attack does 1d6 piercing damage, and anyone who grapples you must make a Ref save vrs 1d10/Char. level points of piercing damage.
What does this mean? Is this a DC or damage amount (1d10 per level)

Also, fut the wuck. Baby bones and virgin hair?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Vebyast wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:The Bow of Lust Least, 2nd
[...] and causing either great despair or ardent lust in those it strikes. Those thrown into despair are fascinated for a number of rounds equal to your charisma modifier+3, while those thrown into lust fly into a frenzy [...]
No save?
Hm, probably right, it should probably have one. It's Will, I'll put it in.
Sigma999 wrote:What does this mean? Is this a DC or damage amount (1d10 per level)
It means you make a save against a standard DC (10+1/2 char. level+abi. mod) against taking damage. Sorry, it's my short hand.
Also, fut the wuck. Baby bones and virgin hair?
Um.... yeah, you're drawing power from devils, specifically devils of temptation, lust and corruption. Part of the supposed warlock flavour is to use evil power and look the part.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Princess
Journeyman

Post by Princess »

So it won't screw them if they want to multi-class.
I hope druid Wild Shape progression is linked to charlvl so it won't screw them if they multiclass?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Princess wrote:
So it won't screw them if they want to multi-class.
I hope druid Wild Shape progression is linked to charlvl so it won't screw them if they multiclass?
No, since it doesn't have a DC to compete with enemy saves.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Princess
Journeyman

Post by Princess »

It increases not only DC but also numerical effects usually linked to caster level.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

And? I thought it was established that more warlock abilities should scale to character level.

Anyway, did up the "rest" of the devils, I might go and put in an actual Pit Fiend invocation if inspiration strikes me. Will probably do up more invocs soon.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak_Anima wrote:And? I thought it was established that more warlock abilities should scale to character level.
It wasn't. People just want to multiclass fundamentally unmulticlassable classes, because you are all stupid.

No, you can't be a Wizard 10 Cleric 10. And no, you can't be a Warlock X/anything else Y.

It doesn't matter if the ability scales based on character level or not, because they will not have level appropriate abilities.

A Wizard 10/Cleric 10 is still a dumb idea even if your Caster level is always equal to Character level.

The best you can hope for is a class that everyone dips one level in whenever they aren't making some other type of Caster, in which case, you just made the game worse, because now every Fighter is a Monk 1/Warlock 1/Fighter X, and every Barbarian is a Monk 1/Warlock 1/Barbarian X.

Learn to not do that. If you are making a caster, then people should take your class until they run out of class, or not at all.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

No need to be such a Negative Nancy, Kaelic. Sure, making standard spell casting classes multi-able is nigh impossible, but that doesn't mean that classes which play as caster-types can't be made to work as such.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:No need to be such a Negative Nancy, Kaelic. Sure, making standard spell casting classes multi-able is nigh impossible, but that doesn't mean that classes which play as caster-types can't be made to work as such.
Well since the specific example in question, A Warlock using Prak's rewrites also fails to actually be multiclassable. The point stands.

No one is ever going to be a Warlock 5/Fighter 5, so it doesn't matter how well you support it. I don't care if a Warlock 5/Fighter 5 is just mostly incompetent or totally incompetent, it's still incompetent.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Changed Character Level to Class Level in most cases, but save DCs are still scaling to ChLv because, well, I don't want these to suck.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Celestial Invocations
Whether you rebelled against evil and sought refuge in the lily-white arms of the forces of good, or obtained your original powers from a pact with angels, you are, regardless, possessed of angelic power to protect the weak and innocent from the ravages of fiends.

Angelic
Possessed of an angel's honor and protective nature, you strive to be a shield against those who would defile purity.

Angelic Tongue Lesser, 3rd
You may speak to any creature which has a language, as the spell tongues.

Astral Mace Greater, 5th
You reach into the air, through an astral portal into heaven, and draw forth a heavy mace, composed of hope and purity. This weapon is magical and has the disruption quality, and may channel your eldritch blast.

Deva's Stunning Blows Lesser, 3rd
If you strike a single target twice in a single turn with a mace of any sort, they must make a Fort. save or be stunned for 1d6 rounds.

Solar's Sword Lesser, 4th
You may loose a sword and cause it to float around you, attacking at your direction as if it had the dancing quality.

Solar's Slaying Bow Dark, 7th
A shining bow appears in your hand, as if you had grasped a ray of the sun and transfigured it. This bow is a magic composite longbow, which automatically produces an arrow of slaying (any) when drawn.

Archonic
You have been knighted by the lawful forces of good to punish evil and it's perversions of innocence.

Heaven's Lantern Least, 2nd
You glow with the light of a lamp, can focus this light like a bulls-eye lantern, and your eldritch blast deals light damage, overcoming DR of any type.

Hound's Hunting Least, 2nd
You take on the bloodhound aspect of the Hound Archon, and gain the ability to sense evil, and an enhanced sense of smell. You gain the Scent quality, and have Detect Evil always active. Evil Auras are perceived as a sickly sweet foul scent on the air, emanating from their source.

Heaven's Trumpet Lesser, 3rd
As you activate this invocation, musical notes of silvery light swirl around you, faster and faster until the blur left bleeds into each other, first becoming a silvery halo, then straightening out and manifesting as a gleaming trumpet. This instrument is magical (+1 to perform [trumpet] checks), and can paralyze foes who hear it blown. Enemies within 100ft who hear the blast of sound must make a Fort save or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds. You may also will this instrument to transform into a magic greatsword at will as a move action or as part of one.

Eladrin
You walk the earth, a chaotic force which defends the weak against evil, while being a bit anarchic and disordered, favouring freedom, in all it's forms, over law in any form.

Zephyr of Heaven Greater, 5th
You become a whirlwind of blessed air, allowing you to fly at 100 feet with perfect maneuverability, make 2 slam attacks, and attack with a blast of wind, dealing 3d6 damage in a 20 ft. line (reflex save for half).

Ghaele Aura Greater, 5th
You extend a protective aura around yourself and allies. Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of you. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet.

Ghaele Form Dark, 8th
You assume the glowing orb of multicoloured light form of a ghaele. You are incorporeal (and thus have no strength score), and take up your normal space, can fly at 150 ft. with perfect maneuverability, and attack with rays of light which deal 2d12 points of light damage, overcoming all forms of DR, with a range of 300 ft.

Guardinal
The Beastlands have touched your soul, leaving it savage, but noble, and with a deep distaste for evil and a perception of the force as unnatural.

Guardinal's Speech Least, 2nd
You may speak with animals, as the spell, except that is mental in nature, with no sound needed, and may be done as a free action.

Avoral Wings Lesser, 4th
Your arms become great feathered wings, like those of a large eagle, but traced in silvery light. They are strong, allowing you to buffet foes, and have clawed humanoid hands at the mid points, allowing you to manipulate objects. You gain two claw attacks and two wing attacks which deal damage as normal for your size, and you may fly at 90' with good maneuverability.

Leonal's Roar Dark, 9th
You let loose a bellowing roar like a lion, duplicating the effects of the spell Holy Word in the shape of 60 ft. cone, and dealing an extra 2d6 points of sonic damage (Fort negates). A warlock who knows this invocation has his face become bestial and feline, his mouth becoming a lionid muzzle with elongated canines, and his hair forming a long, flowing mane.

Leonal's Armament Lesser, 4th
Your hands grow retractable claws, and your teeth become those of a large carnivore, granting you two claws and a bite attack which deal damage as normal for your size, the improved grab ability when you strike with your bite, and the rake ability dealing 1d6 plus strength damage when you establish a hold with Improved Grab. You may also pounce, allowing a full attack with your bite, both claws, and two rakes.

Non-aligned
The following invocation is not a celestial invocation, but is most commonly seen in the employ of celestial warlocks:

Weaponized Wardrobe
You take a piece of clothing or ornament and form from it a weapon. Preferably you use your own, though the angels who pioneered this ability showed themselves able to use the clothing of others. Generally the article of clothing says something about your personality, as will the weapon it produces, though the specific appearance of the weapon denotes only the personality and inner self of the owner. The weapon is magic, deals holy (if you are good) or unholy (if you are evil) damage, and may have an Eldritch Blast channeled through it. Only the clothing of those who are truly good or evil are of any use, those who are neutral produce useless weapons (deal 1d2-1 damage, minimum 0, cannot channel eldritch blast), while the clothing of those who are opposite to your alignment(at least until the source material shows otherwise) produces a cursed weapon with a magic penalty.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So that's the core demons, devils and celestials. What else do people want? I'm considering possibly making invocations inspired by the ruling outsiders, the Demon Princes, Arch-devils, and... whatever the fuck the celestials are called, as it allows a cute pun based trope name....

I could do dragons, elementals, fae... what do people want to see?

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Prak_Anima wrote:I could do dragons, elementals, fae... what do people want to see?
Far Realm. Lots of Cthulhu.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak_Anima wrote:So that's the core demons, devils and celestials. What else do people want? I'm considering possibly making invocations inspired by the ruling outsiders, the Demon Princes, Arch-devils, and... whatever the fuck the celestials are called, as it allows a cute pun based trope name....

I could do dragons, elementals, fae... what do people want to see?
I did some Fey invocations for the Nymph racial class, if anyone remembers that stupid (failed) Feybook project.

I could repost them here..

But yes, I'd love to see what you make for Fey as well.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Far Realms Invocations
You delved into secrets man is not meant to know, and though you went mad, you got off lighter than most, mostly in that you were not devoured or driven completely insane, but also in that you got some power out of the deal.

Walk Through the Angles of Time Greater, 6th
You have learned, through careful observation of the hounds of tindalos, how to begin to stalk your target through the angles of time, rather than the curves. You may, when activating this invocation, move through obstructing materials built in a sharp angle (120 degrees or less) by turning into a greasy smoke like substance. You essentially move as though the barrier simply weren't there. The oily smoke you have become slips through the material, with first your head materializing, followed by your body.

Tindalos Stalking Dark, 8th
You've become as the hounds themselves, stalking your foes from outside their reality. When you use this invocation, you shift to or from the plane of Angled Time, which is much like the ethereal, save that it is coterminious with all planes. While on this plane you are restricted in exactly the same way you would be if you were on the etheral plane, and you may use the invocation Walk Through the Angles of Time as a free action.

that's what I've got for now, but I should have more soon. If anyone thinks I'm misgauging levels or grades, tell me, because they're all shots in the dark.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Tindalos.. shit man that's straight out of the Lovecraft books.

How about some stuff from Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath? There's a plethora of creatures n shit in that.

Also, don't forget to count Derleth as part of the Mythos authorship. He had some good ideas too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Um... I'd totally do some Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath stuff... if I'd ever read more than a third of Case of Charles Dexter Ward... seriously, I'm getting this stuff off of Wiki.

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Burrow into Darkness: Gain a burrow speed; if you take a double move action to burrow you can create a portal to Shadow. You might also gain some kind of claw attack.
Ghoul Transformation: Basic melee hulk.
Deep One Transformation (AKA 'Call of Cthulhu', but that could be misleading).
Touch of Yog Sothoth: Poisonous touch attack that causes things to discorporate.
Song of the Flying Polyp: Go (improved) invisible and gain a fly speed, but you emit a constant strange piping music and fuck up wind currents, making your location easy to pinpoint.
Wisdom of Yith: You have seen the Great Library in your dreams and gleaned with wisdom of the ages. You gain a Competence bonus to all standard Knowledge checks and gain 1/2 a skill rank in all standard knowledge skills.

There are lots of calling powers, if you want to add summoning to the repertoire: Call Starspawn, Call Byakhee, Ghoul Friends, Call Flying Polyp, Call Shuggoth, Call Dark Young, Swarm of Cats (just kidding), Nightgaunt Servitors, etc.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Nice, Catharz.
Prak_Anima wrote:Um... I'd totally do some Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath stuff... if I'd ever read more than a third of Case of Charles Dexter Ward... seriously, I'm getting this stuff off of Wiki.
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/
Last edited by JonSetanta on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

Hell yeah more Yog-Sothery!
Is there already an invocation that causes confusion? I'd make one like that.
Something to the effect of Save or Bad: you're confused, on fire(covered in maggots/slime/some ungulating outline of an otherworldy entity what have you), and anyone minus the caster who comes within 5 feet, has to make the same save or bad likely fear.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...