Where do low-levelers go to adventure?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Where do low-levelers go to adventure?

Post by virgil »

Judging by the existance of the Wish-economy, the romping about of high level adventurers and all their stuff, what do the low-level adventurers actually fight? How can there be a bunch of ogres harassing the townsfolk when you have wizards that can teleport all over the land and obliterate anything that threatens his kingdom?

You can try to use the "too busy to deal with the peons" excuse, but there will exist altruistic adventurers who find time in their lives to take a day off and rid the land of threats lower than CR 8.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Leress
Prince

Re: Where do low-levelers go to adventure?

Post by Leress »

I think the higher level characters are too busy killing the dragon for his loot to even know about the ogres harassing the townsfolk.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Suppose not many of those are actually altruistic, and can cover a lot of ground/garner a lot of info at once, and you'd just have a seeting in which it IS commonplace for low-levelers to have their spotlights hogged, but there are nonetheless things to do when no biggy happens to be looking.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Rats to kill. In the sewers, where the demigods loathe to wallow. :sick:

Also, lower levels could accompany the highers on missions and 'adventures' as lackeys, scouts, assistants, etc... Hey the NPCs do it, evil overlords and so on, so how about the 'good guys'?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
AlphaNerd
Master

Post by AlphaNerd »

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. Evil is trying just as hard as good[1] is to overwhelm everything, so you can't just send your 15th levelers out to take care of those ogres. You tap the 5th level dudes and throw shinies at them to make the problem go away.

Plus, the lower level you can deal with the threat, the faster the response time can be. Because there are more of them.

[1] Or various Lords, or maybe it's just a case of healthy paranoia.